Are You As Old As Dirt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunzo

Hunter
I haven't seen Rock City, but have seen a thousand, make that thousands of barns that told me to.

A 2 story brick downtown still has "Bull Durham" painted on it.

32shooter said:
Fox Mike said:
Read lots of them on the trip from Annapolis, Maryland to St Pete, Florida on US 301. There was NO Interstate system. Orange Blossum Special ran right alongside the road through Georgia. Then there were also the South of The Border signs forever, pointing to Dillon, SC.
I would take 301 to Florida just a few years ago. I would rather use roads other than the Interstate if I am not in a hurry. I don't remember the Burma Shave signs. Guess I am not old as dirt.
In '47 when we started making the trips I was 10 years old. The only time I now use 301 is when I travel to Virginia, or further south, and then only in Maryland and Va through Ft A.P.Hill area to reconnect with I-95. I do not remember seeing any Burma Shave signs lately. The signs to "South of the Border" are still everywhere though.

the one I see now somewhat like the Burma signs is a pretty interesting place call "Buc-EE's" who use a cartooned Beaver in their marketing and named Buc-EE ...they are in Texas and somewhat along the gulf coast area and seem to have done some "Burma" type signage

On one of their Billboards :D
The best two reason to stop at Buc-EE's is Number 1 and 2 :D

They are amazing places with GREAT FOOD Clean restrooms and friendly people along with cheaper gas with and without ethanol and Diesel. They also don't allow 18 wheelers.
They knew how to promote their place by having Clean Women's restrooms and putting it on their billboards. :wink:
Wifie loves stopping there every chance we get for food and a PEE.
The one in Katy Tx has the longest carwash in the country. Also during Hurricane Harvey they were about to open in Katy but did not open except for the GIs to stay, drink and rest.

Merle1948

Buckeye
Wyandot Jim said:
To My Old-As-Dirt Friends and Relatives who qualify as "old as dirt."
For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '50's.

Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet and the obligatory 5th sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
OUT SO FAR
IT MAY GO HOME
IN ANOTHER CAR.

Burma Shave

TRAINS DON'T WANDER
ALL OVER THE MAP
'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP.

Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
BY MISTAKE
SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
HER HUSBAND JAKE.

Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
TO GAIN A MINUTE
YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT.

Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG
DRIVER SNOOZING
WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
IS NOT AMUSING.

Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER
LET'S REHEARSE
ALL TOGETHER
GOOD MORNING, NURSE.

Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER
TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
AND A LITTLE MORE STEER.

Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH
WEATHER WAS NOT
TIRES WERE THIN
X MARKS THE SPOT.

Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
OF PAUL FOR BEER
LED TO A WARMER
HEMISPHERE.

Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE
LICKETY-SPLIT
BEAUTIFUL CAR
WASN'T IT?

Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE
NO MATTER HOW NEW
THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
IN THE CAR IS YOU.

Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES
A CAR WIDE OPEN
IS NOT THINKIN'
HE'S JUST HOPIN

Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS
LOOK EACH WAY
A HARP SOUNDS NICE
BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY.

Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
EYES ON THE ROAD
THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
DRIVER'S CODE.

Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES
WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
DEPENDS ON YOU
TO DO HIS THINKING.

Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH
DRIVER IN TREE
THE MOON WAS FULL
AND SO WAS HE.

Burma Shave

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
TAKE IT SLOW
LET OUR LITTLE
SHAVERS GROW.

Burma Shave

Do these bring back any old memories? If not, you're merely a child.

If they do - then you're old as dirt.

guess I'm guilty as charged - old as dirt! :mrgreen:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I remember them well and 301 was a great road with a few good truck stops. I don't remember the truck stop but I remember the peach cobbler with a scoop of ice cream.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I know about Burma Shave signs but can't say I actually ever remember seeing them (born in '58, a little late, I guess). I do remember the painted ads on barn roofs in our area, especially a couple of counties south of here where my maternal grandparents lived. Most of those were advertising semi-local attractions - "See Rock City" or "Visit Beautiful Ruby Falls". Those were actually in Tennessee. There was also "Visit Natural Bridge" which is a large natural stone arch not too far from here.

5of7

Hunter
I was 8 years old when the A-bomb ended WWII. And I remember this one:

Fatty Fatty
run for your life
Here comes skinny
with an Olsen knife.
8)

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I still see barns painted advertising Mail Pouch tobacco, as well as Cannon Ball. Before windshield washers became common, a plug of chewing tobacco was kept in the glove compartment of automobiles to clean splattered bugs off the windshield!

Driving through middle Tennessee and Kentucky at the time, in the summer time, guaranteed you some big hits from tobacco chewing grasshoppers. BIG MESS!

Bob Wright

bogus bill

Hunter
When I was about fifteen (1956 or so) we had a old friend. He mentioned that his dad shook hands with Mr. Lincoln. I asked how that could be and he said his father was in the civil war and president Lincoln came out on the lines and shook hands with the soldiers. Also I had a old man primer school teacher in the 1940`s that was supposedly the oldest school teacher in the state of Wisconsin. He brought his dads civil war musket to school and showed us kids how to load and shoot it and did shoot it behind our one room country school house. Both looked like very old men to me. Now I realize at 77 I now am probably older than they were at the time! All my old best friends are now dead. It makes you think that maybe it is time to get your loose affairs in order and maybe even buy a cemetery plot. Dad died a month short of ninety, I have a aunt right at a hundred still living and a couple other aunts and one uncle that lived to a 100 or just under but I am not in the shape they were. For me, every day has been a bonus for me for many years now. I did a lot of stupid stuff that should have killed me multiple times from a boy up and God got me out of them.
Two years ago I was close to death and got two stents in my heart. Before that I had cancer in the nose and given the choice of losing it or die. I once missed a flight that crashed into Mt Whitney. I have been shot at and missed. On and on. I still want to live long as possible but don't want Alzheimer.

bogus bill

Hunter
I recall seeing quite a few burma shave signs up to the mid 1950`s. To me that seems only a few years ago.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Heliman said:
I think you are older than dirt if you were born in the first half of the last century..... Now, if you were born before WWII, you are a dinosaur. :D

FUNNY; I don't LOOK like one at ALL !!

27 February 1941

Pre-war when QUALITY materials were still the STANDARD !! !!

Merle1948

Buckeye
Colonialgirl said:
Heliman said:
I think you are older than dirt if you were born in the first half of the last century..... Now, if you were born before WWII, you are a dinosaur. :D

FUNNY; I don't LOOK like one at ALL !!

27 February 1941

Pre-war when QUALITY materials were still the STANDARD !! !!

Quality materials PLUS superior craftsmanship...... :lol:

Latest posts