Anyone loaded .454 Casull with Unique

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Looking to work up some reduced loads in .454 using a hard cast 325 grain long flat nose with Unique. The only loads I've seen on the web using Unique have been so far using 300 grain jacketed, and loads ranged from 10 to somewhere around 14 grains max.

Was thinking about trying out 10 grains for starting and see what it clocks in at.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sounds reasonable. Should give you around 900 fps. Have you looked at 45colt and 45colt+P loads for that combination? Kinda a 454 plinking load. :D :D

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Thanks Jim. That's what I'm thinking.

Ultimately I'd like to see if Unique can push them close to 1100 fps (7.5" barrel) so long as whatever charge that is doesn't run pressures too high. I'll know where I stand once I get 10 grains clocked and check the cases.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Did you see this one on Handloads.com? 38,600 cup. :D

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=454%20Casull&Weight=300&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

If you can duplicate a know load, like the one above, and then shoot your load side by side a good comparison can be made. :D

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Will do Contender. Ended up loading two groups, both with a LBT LFN 325 grain bullet in Winchester brass and CCI standard small rifle primer.

One group has 10 grains Unique and the other has 11 grains. So long as the weather cooperates Friday I'll post up the results.

IMG_0418.JPG

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Not unique, but when I had my Alaskan my plinker load was 11g of Universal under a 250g JHP XTP. Chronod at 1050 fps out of the Alaskan.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
So I checked our club event calendar, nothing was shown for Friday Sept 5th.

Then I get to the club only to be greeted by a member informing me, "All ranges indoor and out are closed today due to a gun show this weekend". :evil:

I emailed them as soon as I got home informing them they need to keep that stinking event calendar current because if they had it would have saved me unnecessary packing of gear, then driving all the way there and back for nothing.

Will try again for next Friday.