anyone have load data for 45 colt 360GC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
when I called them they wouldn't email or tell load data over the phone. but they will mail photocopies of their load manual. they sent me their 45 colt pages. but... this bullet is not in it. I scanned them as PDFs. if you want it PM me.

twobisquit said:
Demo_Slug
Go to Oregon Trails website. They are very helpful and will email you their data.

http://www.laser-cast.com/LoadManual.html

I am personally interested in hearing what you come up with.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I have a copy of the Oregon Trail reloading manual and it's worth buying a copy if they still sell it. Thanks.

I noticed an article on obturation when I was looking up their link. They are addressing the problem since a lot of people say it's a problem wit their hard bullets. They say it is not a problem if you keep your loads above 13000 psi.

flatgate

Hawkeye
You may not be pushing those heavy slugs fast enough for them to stabilize.

I shoot lots of 300 gr. and 335 gr. Gas Checked bullets out of my Ruger .45's. Velocities are in the 1200 fps range. Groups are as tight as I can "hold the gun".

In fact, John Linebaugh states this about heavy slugs:
"350 GRAIN SLUGS ARE THE HEAVIEST WE RECOMMEND IN THE .45 COLT.
THIS IS ABOUT THE BALANCE POINT OF THIS ROUND."

JMHO,

flatgate

demo_slug

Single-Sixer
got the data from oregon trail in the mail today. my 18 grains of h-110 was below their start load by half a grain and they specify a CCI 300 primer. I don't have that primer.

but they do have a load specified with with no start load>
CCI350s and 20.0 grains h-110, starline case. at 1213fps out of a 7.5 inch Bisley. I can follow that recipe :) and I'll give it a try in my 5.5 and maybe in my 24 inch 1894..

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Like others have mentioned, H110, W296, and Lil'Gun tend to really shine when the case is FULL but not compressed. Of course, always work up and exceed max published loads at your own risk. The accuracy tends to suffer when there is air space in the case with these slow pistol powders, and those bigguns probably need to get pushed along at a good clip in the 45 Colt to stabilize.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Demo Slug, I have loaded the 335 grain GC Leadhead bullet in 45 Colt with 23.5 grains of H110 with decent accuracy. I started low and worked up to this power level and while running the test loads over the chronograph the velocity was all over the place until I reached this heavy load and then it settle in with very low ES. Most of these will run 1292 and 1293 ft/sec with a few running 1290 to 1308. I think your load is not hot enough to get it to stabilize, but loading these heavy bullets is kind of like going into uncharted territory IMO.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I found my limit at 350g; the 360g and 395g (which is where I stopped, not feeling any need to go to the 405g) did not stabilize fully for me from my 5.5" Redhawk when tested past 30 yds.
Plus there was that 'recoil' thing.

I feel, based on experience, that the 335g is the maximum successful heavyweight choice in 45 Colt. If one is searching for a close-range creature-defense load ONLY the 350--360g may still be a viable choice.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
^^^ I'm with that guy ^^^

335 gr of lead on top of a max charge of Lil'Gun/H110 (I use CCI350 primers) and a good grip on the revolver. This one will put the bullets exactly where you point the gun and is my hunting load for this fall.