Anyone ever get a Friday/Monday gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pokey074

Bearcat
After Ruger's exemplary handling of the front sight falling off my Lipsey's Flat Top Blackhawk while dry firing, I decided to add another to the fold.

Picked up a new New Vaquero in .357 Magnum from my local dealer that may be a late Friday/early Monday build.

Several screws have buggered slots. Gate spring angle is off, and while the gate doesn't open on its own, it sure doesn't have much pressure for the first 1/4" or so of travel. The transfer bar is clearly too tall and thick. Something in the trigger mechanism isn't quite right as you can't hold down the trigger and work the action. And, the grips have too much material removed from the top and allow a good bit of movement around the axis of the grip screw.

I've ordered some replacement parts and have started fitting/grinding the transfer bar. Built up the grips a little under the frame using several layers of masking tape. (Totally ghetto, I know.)

Anyone ever pick up a new Ruger with issues like this?

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
please see my "mr. bisley is going back..." debacle. i will never buy another new ruger. this was a lipsey's exclusive bisley .454 casull. it has been back twice. it is not good. lots of issues, but the only one i really wanted ameliorated was the barrel, and they were not able to do so.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=243731

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have a NM .41 BH that front sight fell off while firing. And grip frame fits badly. Oversize AR 556 that barrel nut was loose. I have a 77/22 with bolt opens when safety is on. My first 77/50 had a very rusty barrel. New sight and blueing on .41, dealer tightened barrel nut. 77/22 shoots so well, not messing with it. 77/50 shot so well didn't complain to ruger about it. It had to be test fired then boxed without cleaning. Friday for sure on it!

I sent my Stainless Bearcat back because it was shooting 4-5" high and 5-6"right from a rest. What was returned to me was basically a new revolver. They replaced the barrel and most of the 'innereds'. Cured the problem.

hittman

Staff member
I'm trying to figure out why you would accept delivery of a new gun in that condition.

Mus408

Hunter
Send it back before you do anything to it. They will make it right!

My Alaskan had issues with the cylinder and the finish had a few scratches.
I sent it back and it came back in top shape everywhere!

This was the first new Ruger I had problems with even though it was one of the most expensive!

pokey074

Bearcat
hittman said:
I'm trying to figure out why you would accept delivery of a new gun in that condition.

I didn't go over every single screw while in the shop. Once I got home I tore it down to de-oil it from the Ruger dunk tank. A couple of screws is no big deal as they're easy and cheap to replace. I'm going to try some different grips to see if it's the grips themselves or the frame. If it's the frame I'll be contacting Ruger to have it fixed.

hittman said:

Maybe there are local gun shops elsewhere that have Rugers on display to choose from, and purchasers have the privilege of inspecting before purchase. Seldom will you see a Ruger revolver in any gun shop here. So...We've gotta find them online, and if it's a new gun, just grit our teeth and take a chance.

I've been quite lucky with my purchases.

Only a few that I remember as a Monday or Friday gun.

10/22 Magnum...2 or 3 stoppages per magazine. Returned to Ruger and never replaced.

77/44...No guaranty you could hit a 36" target board at 100 yards. Also sent to Ruger to be never seen again.

Super Redhawk...Severe end-shake. Cylinder would bind up. Ruger repaired it perfectly.

I've also had more than a few with heavy tooling marks on the crown. Fortunately they were all cosmetic, with the exception of the 77/44 already mentioned.

WAYNO.

Terry T

Buckeye
Sent back my first LCR 9mm - cylinder didn't always rotate. Sent the replacement back for the same reason. 3rd one was fine. :shock:

Then there are the 3 Speed Sixs in my safe that are incorrectly roll marked 'Police Service Six'. :shock:
Terry T

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
Bought a 5.5" stainless Bisley .45 colt/acp. My .44 in the same configuration is my all time favorite handgun. Had cylinder mouths reamed tried every load an bullet combination I could think of and it wouldn't shoot for beans. Sent back to the factory twice. After second trip back Ruger said the gun could not be repaired and sold me a .44 SBh at a reduced cost. Not sure why the place that made the gun could not fix it even if that had to start with the frame and replace stuff. Still have a bad taste in my mouth about that gun because they would not let me get another .45 Bisley as a replacement because they were not being currently produced. That gun and a BH .45 convertible soured be on the .45 colt cartridge. The new model .44 specials are a joy and very accurate so life is good.

SAJohn

Hunter
When Col Tibbets picked his B-29 off the assembly line, he avoided a Monday or Friday plane. He named it the Enola Gay and flew it into the history books..

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
hittman said:

Maybe there are local gun shops elsewhere that have Rugers on display to choose from, and purchasers have the privilege of inspecting before purchase. Seldom will you see a Ruger revolver in any gun shop here. So...We've gotta find them online, and if it's a new gun, just grit our teeth and take a chance.

10/22 Magnum...2 or 3 stoppages per magazine. Returned to Ruger and never replaced.

77/44...No guaranty you could hit a 36" target board at 100 yards. Also sent to Ruger to be never seen again.

Super Redhawk...Severe end-shake. Cylinder would bind up. Ruger repaired it perfectly.

I've also had more than a few with heavy tooling marks on the crown. Fortunately they were all cosmetic, with the exception of the 77/44 already mentioned.

WAYNO.
on the ones you said you returned , did they give a refund ? wasn't sure what you ment on never replaced .

cbnutt said:
WAYNO said:
hittman said:

WAYNO.
on the ones you said you returned , did they give a refund ? wasn't sure what you ment on never replaced .

In both cases, I hoped for a repair or replacement. Neither option was available, so I was given a refund from the dealer.

WAYNO.

ebg3

Bearcat
Just received my brand new 480 Bisley yesterday evening and it is currently on its way back to Ruger for repair. Timing is off; can't cock hammer without helping rotate the cylinder. Lower grip screws were mangled. Loading gate has large gap between gate and cylinder(not machined right). And the grips do not fit. I had this gun on backorder for over a year and finally get one that is a lemon! Don't know how it left the factory and you can't even cock it with just the hammer. Was it test fired?

I forgot one more, my most recent.

Received a brand new Birdshead .45 ACP. The loading gate was mis-shaped, and would not open and close properly. Returned it to Ruger, and quickly it was repaired correctly.

There's no way it should have left the factory to start with.

WAYNO.

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
Lately most gun manufacturers seem to be shipping every gun they build without any final inspections and relying on their warranty service to make the guns right.
I am a frequent visitor on the Smith-Wesson forum and there are daily posts about Monday-Friday guns.

My M-F gun story deals with a Ruger MKIII Hunter which had multiple feeding, firing and extraction issues. I sent it back and Ruger had to replace the entire bolt assembly, the mainspring housing and clean up the extractor cut in the barrel. Never did figure out how that gun left the factory in the first place, but Ruger made it right.