Anybody use Linebaugh's 45 C loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
My personal loads include only 3 loads that I have settled on for all my handgun shooting. All are safe in Rugers and have been recommended to hundreds of shooters, All report good results and accuracy.
Powder Gr. Bullet Velocity Use
WW 231 8 gr. 260 cast 900 fps defense/plinker/big game
HS 6 13 gr 260 cast 1050 fps big game
HS 6 13 gr 310/320 cast 1000 fps big game
H-110 24 260 cast 1280 fps big game
H-110 24 310/320 cast 1250 fps big game/ dangerous game

I'm particularly interest in the H-110, 260 gr cast load. Thanks.

tek4260

Buckeye
I use the last load listed with a 325 cast Keith. It is a handful, but is quite accurate. I also use 1 grain less than the 260 gr load with H-110 with a 265gr WFNGC. H-110 is by far my favorite powder for the 45 Colt and 44 Magnum for heavy loads. For light(er) loads, I use 11.0gr of HS-6 with a 260 cast Keith. This load will replace the Trailboss loads I have been using in the past.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
These are several I've used and chronographed.

5 rounds 280gr cast bullet HS-6 13gr 1042-1051 fps avg: 1047 fps
Big meplat bullet. Good hunter.
MAD = 3.25 fps 0.3 (% dev from mean) medium perceived recoil Mt. Baldy bullets 7 1/2" bbl Colt SAA New Frontier

5 rounds 272 gr H-110 22 gr 1149-1214 fps avg: 1178
MAD:18.5 fps 1.60% dev from mean, medium heavy perceived recoil Leadhead bullets 7 1/2" bbl Colt SAA New Frontier

In July of 2003, I shot 24 gr H110 with 280gr WFN/GC hard-cast by Cast Performance Bullets. Avg of 5 was 1180 fps, Perceived recoil recorded as 7 out of 10, where 10 is very uncomfortable recoil. This is a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 6-shot, 6" barrel slightly modified by John Linebaugh. Accuracy of this load was NOT noted.

Use at your own risk! I don't do real heavy loads anymore.
sonnytoo

Rclark

Hunter
I use 11.0gr of HS-6 with a 260 cast Keith. This load will replace the Trailboss loads I have been using in the past.
Elaborate? Why? How does the hs-6 fill the case? Never used HS-6 is why I am asking :) but do use TB for the 'light' loads.

I stay away from the Linebaugh loads as I have really no reason for them. Not hunting the Rhino up here :) .

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I used a .452" 300gr hard-cast with 14 gr of HS6 with an OAL of 1.675". The velocities ranged from 1147-1159 with recoil of 7 out of 10, where 10 is max I would shoot. ( In Ruger Blackhawk.) Use at your own risk; I do not recommend these heavy loads.

On using H110, I was careless and ignorant and used 22 gr with a 255 gr hard-cast in Federal cases when I got one stuck just into the barrel. It pays a lot to read the warning in the Hodgdon website, where it cautions you to start 10% below the suggested maximum load if a starting load is not shown and then approach maximums carefully, watching for any sign of pressure.
If you reduce H110 and Winchester 296 too much, you may cause inconsistent ignition, which may lodge a bullet in the barrel, causing a hazardous situation (Barrel Obstruction). Hodgdon is adamant in warning that you DO NOT REDUCE H110 LOADS BY MORE THAN 3%.
My thanks to Hodgdon for allowing me, I hope, to paraphrase their site.
Sonnytoo

tek4260

Buckeye
Rclark":2bxwb8g3 said:
I use 11.0gr of HS-6 with a 260 cast Keith. This load will replace the Trailboss loads I have been using in the past.
Elaborate? Why? How does the hs-6 fill the case? Never used HS-6 is why I am asking :) but do use TB for the 'light' loads.

I stay away from the Linebaugh loads as I have really no reason for them. Not hunting the Rhino up here :) .

Mainly because it shoots POA/POI in my 4 5/8 NV. With Trailboss, my NV shot about 4 inches high at 25 yards. Plus, the Trailboss loads are a bit wimpy. I'm not really looking for something quite that light, though it does shoot well and is close to POA in my Uberti.

As far as filling the case, it is about like Universal. I measure each load and seat a bullet after filling the case, so I am not worred about a double.

I'll also hunt with the NV and this load some this year. I will not hunt will a Trailboss load.

flatgate

Hawkeye
John Taffin has done some extensive load development over the years. His articles are always worth reading.

Taffin Tests the .45 Colt

A wee bit on the conservative side, which ain't a bad idea.....

Ross Seyfried has done extensive testing, as well.... LINK. He's more focused on the
5 shot stuff, but his observations are definitely worth a look!

As usual, JMHO,
flatgate

Ross has been a strong advocate of the "Superboomenwhackers" in the .45 Colt for a long time. I put a lot of faith in his opinions as he's one of the guys who actually shoots what he preaches.

:D

Rclark

Hunter
tek4260, thanks for your response. Glad you found a powder that works with your gun!

Plus, the Trailboss loads are a bit wimpy.
Yes, well, even at 6.0g TB pushing the 250g RNFP it is not a zinger.... But it is very pleasant to shoot targets with. I like it for that reason. Never saw the point of loading less than this though as 6g is plenty light. I suspect I could load a bit more under the bullet before it gets compressed, but not sure how 'much' more... so leave at 6g TB.

63November

Single-Sixer
I've shot 21.0+ grains of H110/W296 in my 45 Colts: Blackhawk, Redhawk, and Winchester Trapper for so long that it is virtually the only thing I load in 45 Colt cases with 300+ grain cast bullets. The only thing suffering for it has been "out there".

To the idea of not reducing loads with these propellents, I will only add that a person does well to use cases which have been sized to hold the bullets well in terms of tension in the brass and also sound, firm crimps. Heeding these simple rules make squib problems non-issues.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
HS 6 13 gr 260 cast 1050 fps big game

I just shot a bunch of these this past week. Shot to the same POA as the 45acp loads I was shooting from the acp cylinder, and the light 45lc cowboy loads I was shooting originally. Not sure on how everything managed to shot to the same place, but the groups were very small, recoil was stout but manageable out of my Bisley, and the muzzle flash was very impressive.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yes, I've used his "starting load" of 14 grs HS6 behind a Hornady 255 gr LFN bullet coated with Lee liquid alox. Averaged 1130 to 1160 fps depending on seating depth. (That bullet has no crimp groove other than it's ogive) Good accuracy, minimal leading after 25 rounds. Same velocity ballpark with a 250 XTP but not as accurate in my gun...FWIW, Dennis...BTW, thanks for the great Ross Seyfried link flatgate. "The ressst of the Storay" as Paul Harvey used to say...(The .45 Colt on Cape buffalo! Ya gotta love it! 8) )

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
flatgate":2ggff7k3 said:
John Taffin has done some extensive load development over the years. His articles are always worth reading.

Taffin Tests the .45 Colt

A wee bit on the conservative side, which ain't a bad idea.....

Ross Seyfried has done extensive testing, as well.... LINK. He's more focused on the
5 shot stuff, but his observations are definitely worth a look!

As usual, JMHO,
flatgate

I guess by the time we get John Linebaugh and Hamilton in there, we're doing pretty good. All good guys; great guns.
I have Ross's article, but was glad to read it again here. Thanks for the link. I have one of Bowen's 5-shot Nimrods but haven't yet (whew) run up against one of those large critters. I am allergic to those thorny thickets, otherwise might give it a try. Sure!
:) Sonnytoo

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I hear ya Sonnytoo. I'm a little too "cajones challenged" to take on a Cape buffalo with a sixgun myself!....Dennis (Maybe if I had a .50 BMG backup! ) :wink: