Another new useless cartridge ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not exactly a useless cartridge thought, but morre a useless combination: I have rifles and pistols that all take .22 LR interchangeably. Then I have a POS Guardian (derringer) that uses .22 magnum. Considering the distance at which it would be used, why bother? So....Useless as a combination. As per the OP, yes, I see the .30 as completely unnecessary.

Every year, there are new cars, new trucks, new airplanes, new appliances, and the list is endless. I buy very little of this new stuff, but I'm not angered like so many here of new new offerings. Don't need it? Don't buy it. Ultimately, the market will sort it all out.

I'll bet there was a time someone said the .30-06 was useless, as their .30-40 worked just fine.

Now if I was to profess any cartridge is useless, it would be any of the newer .32 revolver cartridges. They do not improve on anything that so many existing cartridges already do better. But since we have so many lovers of .32's, I wouldn't dare think my opinion is more valuable than theirs.

:cool:

Last edited:

40nascar

Banned
Hunters are looking for 3-4" where match shooters are looking for.003-.004"
At 300 yds ( from the perspective of a hunter). A rifle that only gets 4 moa would not ethically be acceptable to me, unless range is limited to 100 yds. or less.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
New round and guns chambered for it equal gun sales I guess or so they hope. Trouble is if it doesn't catch on! Happened to a couple Winchester rounds years back. Will stick with my 06 and save a boat load of cash.

Saw an interview with a Federal representative who basically said the goal in the development of the 30SC was to produce a round that would fit one or two more rounds into guns sized for the .380, with whatever performance they could get out of bumping the pressure up to 50KSI.

He acknowledged that the 30SC name was to avoid the .32 stigma, as mentioned above, and allowed as how the gun manufacturers would love an "improved" concealed carry round in the small pistol envelope.

Marketing driven, for sure. ;)

New round and guns chambered for it equal gun sales I guess or so they hope. Trouble is if it doesn't catch on! Happened to a couple Winchester rounds years back. Will stick with my 06 and save a boat load of cash.
And if it does catch on people will be replacing their old favorite guns with their new ones. Just like I got caught up in the new optic ready trend. My new Max 9 is pretty much replacing my 30yr old P11. It does everything better and faster. The big illuminated front sight is so easy to pick up quickly. The optic makes placing bullets where I want as fast as the dot comes back into view. 2"@ 25yds 5 shots 6 seconds. I'm pretty sure a 100yd gong wouldn't be safe from a pocket pistol!!!

bobbill

Bearcat
FWIW.. pic of 20ga slugger, 3-off-hand shots, from 50 meters. Son Drew, TC folding stocker!

Also, love the wee .32 mag Ruger handtool !

Me thinks too many people clog up range, and other places...too many sleds, Ma will do her thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0269a.jpg
    IMG_0269a.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 47

krw

Blackhawk
Yall need to remember when Hornady brought out the 6.5 CM, it took the shooting world bu storm. And there the 260 was that will do everything a 6.5CM and a wee bit more. Hornady deserves an Oscar for there marketing. If there behind the 7mm PRC, I aint gonna bet against it!!

smith1961

Blackhawk
As a 6.5x55 Swedish owner, (77 MKII, CZ-550, M96) I couldn't believe how craaayyzee the Creedmoor took off. With .260 Remington and 6.5x284 existing as well, just scratched my head. Pretty much could care less about anything "new" since then.

Then again with .222 Rem, 6.5x55, .348 Win, 16 gauge, and .41 mag being my primary calibers.............What the hell do I know?

As a 6.5x55 Swedish owner, (77 MKII, CZ-550, M96) I couldn't believe how craaayyzee the Creedmoor took off. With .260 Remington and 6.5x284 existing as well, just scratched my head. Pretty much could care less about anything "new" since then.
My m94/14 Swedish Mauser is just a mighty fine little piece for any application I might have. ;)

Johnnu2

Hunter

Then again with .222 Rem, 6.5x55, .348 Win, 16 gauge, and .41 mag being my primary calibers.............What the hell do I know?
I was gonna say that smith1961.... I read in some gun mag that the 6.5x55 Swede as as close to the new 6.5 whiz-bangers as you could get for 1/10th the price.... What do I know really.... just sayin'

BLESS THEIR HEARTS...... :rolleyes:

bobbill

Bearcat

Dump hype! 6.5 Grendel or Swede does ir all, to me...

...The new rifle cartridges, 7mm, 6.8 whatevers are just a new take on the old 270 Win. They tinker with the overall length, bullet weight and spin rate and call it something new.

There's a lot of truth in that - particularly regarding the new US military 6.8x51 cartridge:

It basically splits the difference between a .270 Winchester and a .270 Weatherby, but does it using a short case at 80,000 psi. You can probably get a rifle chambered for it, if you have several thousand dollars to burn - or just buy a .270 Winchester from your favorite manufacturer!
:)