Another Matt Dillon observation....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Recently watching an episode of Gunsmoke, via METV, and observed this scene:

Matt and Doc were sitting at a table in the marshal's office talking. As they talked, Matt Dillon was cleaning his Colt. The cylinder was out and laying on the table, while he used a bore brush through first each chamber then down the bore of the gun. The Colt was a 5 1/2" barreled revolver; Matt carried a 7 1/2" model.

And the loaded cartridges were standing upright on the table close by.

And there were five rounds.

Bob Wright

woodsy

Blackhawk
We regularly watch Gunsmoke on the Inspire network, because there are so few worthwhile new shows to watch elsewhere. Especially enjoy the episodes in which Doc and Chester make humorous asides to each other, especially by Doc. The best ones are in the '60's where one can gaze fondly at Kitty and her gorgeous red hair, because those episodes eventually went to color. How many others know that 635 episodes eventually were made? Back then a season did not end after 13 episodes.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Probably one of his 'back up' revolvers! Saw an early episode one time where his main revolver was damaged and he told Chester to go get his back up revolver.

BearBiologist

Blackhawk
Recently watching an episode of Gunsmoke, via METV, and observed this scene:

Matt and Doc were sitting at a table in the marshal's office talking. As they talked, Matt Dillon was cleaning his Colt. The cylinder was out and laying on the table, while he used a bore brush through first each chamber then down the bore of the gun. The Colt was a 5 1/2" barreled revolver; Matt carried a 7 1/2" model.

And the loaded cartridges were standing upright on the table close by.

And there were five rounds.

Bob Wright
Makes sense. He would be more likely to be in danger from his gun falling/dropping and discharging by accident than by needing six shots.

Matt did NOT use a Colt in the first episodes.

Gunsmoke and firearms aficionados may also remember Dillon using a Great Western revolver. That was true, in the early part of the series. After contacting Colt and finding out the company had no plans to resurrect the single action Army, Bill Wilson and partners formed the Great Western Arms Company in 1954 and reproduced an almost-exact clone to be used in Western movies and TV shows, including Gunsmoke. Two years after the Great Western was introduced, Colt brought back the single action Army, and the company, unable to beat the real deal, finally folded in 1962. Even so, John Wayne brought Great Western back to the big screen, when he used the single action Army as his main handgun in 1976's The Shootist.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have heard stories both ways regarding the guns James Arness used. A recent article in Guns of the Old West (I think) claimed Arness always used a Colt.

As to the Great Western revolver, I think I've only seen one in my time, maybe two. The same is true for the Interarms Virginian, the Hamerli made one.

Bob Wright

Bob,
Some more info on Great Western. The article in my above post came from

Sorry about the dark illustration, but it shows clearly the most striking difference in the Great Western hammer that works with the floating firing pin. If you look closely in many '50s and '60s westerns, this is the giveaway that the "Colt" is a Great Western.
Check out these great late fifties prices!

1661634853997.png

1661634936771.png

Bennj1

Bearcat
He couldn't, being the Marshall and on duty. I was born in '55 and remember all those great shows we watched on our black & white tv. If I recall correctly, didn't get a color set until I was starting high school.

We regularly watch Gunsmoke on the Inspire network, because there are so few worthwhile new shows to watch elsewhere. Especially enjoy the episodes in which Doc and Chester make humorous asides to each other, especially by Doc. The best ones are in the '60's where one can gaze fondly at Kitty and her gorgeous red hair, because those episodes eventually went to color. How many others know that 635 episodes eventually were made? Back then a season did not end after 13 episodes.
Here's a candid shot of Miss Kitty in her younger days.

There is also a pic of when Gunsmoke first started when Matt looked like a riverboat gambler. That was him walking in boot hill at the start of the show.

[/URL]

hittman

Staff member

James Arness carried this Colt .45(serial no. 147056) in his role as Marshal Matt Dillon on the popular CBS Gunsmoke series. The top-selling movie collectible bid on at High Noon's auction, the Gunsmoke Colt and an Arvo Ojala-crafted holster hammered in at $50,000.

Mauser9

Single-Sixer
Good info on the guns used. Wonder how many other westerns use Great Western revolvers vs. Colts? Grew up watching Laramie among other great westerns. Glad to see em again

Rocdoc

Buckeye
There is a very well done book on the history of the Western Arms story by John Dougan a fe years ago, highly recommend. Even mentions Ruger a time or two in the book. Lots of historical photos, great reading

txramfan

Single-Sixer
Mr Arness use to shop my dads pharmacy during the summer back in the mid/late 60s early 70s. I'm the only family member not to meet him. I walked up from the beach more than once and missed meeting him by a few minutes.
I was there when John Wayne walked in and bought some stuff, I was reading comics when he walked by and his walk is what caught my eye. I hopped up watched him, followed to see what cool car John Wayne drove. It was a brown station wagon with mag wheels. I know what Mr Wayne needed and bought from pop and I ain't telling.

Mr Arness use to shop my dads pharmacy during the summer back in the mid/late 60s early 70s. I'm the only family member not to meet him. I walked up from the beach more than once and missed meeting him by a few minutes.
I was there when John Wayne walked in and bought some stuff, I was reading comics when he walked by and his walk is what caught my eye. I hopped up watched him, followed to see what cool car John Wayne drove. It was a brown station wagon with mag wheels. I know what Mr Wayne needed and bought from pop and I ain't telling.
I worked at Houston Hobby Airport in 1962-1964 in the baggage claim/ taxi cab area and saw and met quite a few of the celebrities. I have the Duke's autograph around here someplace. Wife worked for Hertz and she also met quite a few.