Aluminum Alloy Revolver frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Is this rust or the anodized finish wearing off? 19 year old ultralight revolver.

20231019_004856.jpg

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Aluminum alloys don't rust.
Rust is oxidation, and raw, uncoated aluminum oxidizes almost instantly upon exposure to air. Aluminum gun frames receive one or another coating to prevent this. The most durable is anodizing, which is what you generally see on blued aluminum-frame guns, while others receive a spray-on varnish-type finish. That looks like the coating of that frame has begun to break down in that area. The coating used on S&W guns these days is so delicate that the owner's manual gives specific warnings about cautions when using some gun-cleaning products.

DutchV

Bearcat
Looks like a sweat stain to me. A coat of oil or paste wax would help protect the finish.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Rust is a general term referring to oxides of iron. Rust is an oxide, not all oxides are rust. For example, aluminum oxide is not rust, it's aluminum oxide.

I couldn't tell from the pic if the aluminum frame was oxidized or just a finish discoloration. I did know it wasn't rust as it is not a steel alloy frame.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
Rust is oxidation, and raw, uncoated aluminum oxidizes almost instantly upon exposure to air. Aluminum gun frames receive one or another coating to prevent this. The most durable is anodizing, which is what you generally see on blued aluminum-frame guns, while others receive a spray-on varnish-type finish. That looks like the coating of that frame has begun to break down in that area. The coating used on S&W guns these days is so delicate that the owner's manual gives specific warnings about cautions when using some gun-cleaning products.
Anodizing of Aluminum is a process that uses sulphuric acid bath and an anodic current, lots of current. The clear oxide coat formed can be thin for decorative purposes or can be very thick for severe wear resistance. Thin anodizing can wear through to the base metal, or thick "hard anodizing" can be discolored or worn.
The newly anodized surface can be dyed with various colors and then sealed with a proprietary brew in hot water. Once sealed and dried the anodized surface is very resilient, but if worn it can show a mottled texture.
What to do to repair, nothing I've read about, but strip it and apply a new coat, which would be costly. Questions?

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Looks to me like a matte, blasted surface with a protective clear coating. Polyurithane or some such.
Coating is not that durable and beginning to wear off.
Not too much you can do about it, they don't stay new forever.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
It's the anodized surface wearing. Common with aluminum framed revolvers learned from my research shopping a 642's. I think youre lucky just having a little spot of wear from that long an ownership. I would just wipe down aluminum parts with soft cloth( terry cloth, microfiber).
If it was mine I've leave it alone, Trying to fix very well might make it worse. A little character wear isn't bad.

To me, it acts and looks like some kind of clearcoat. On my 642 it got really bad peeling on the side that says Airweight. I used my fingernail and scratched most of it off. You can see how far I got by looking at the topstrap towards the barrel. I dont think the barrel and cylinder have that coating. You can see where its also starting on the other side. It certainly does not look good. I read where some guys are sending them out to be cerekoted.
20231019_170357.jpg
20231019_170448.jpg
20231019_170458.jpg

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
It's the anodized surface wearing. Common with aluminum framed revolvers learned from my research shopping a 642's. I think youre lucky just having a little spot of wear from that long an ownership. I would just wipe down aluminum parts with soft cloth( terry cloth, microfiber).
If it was mine I've leave it alone, Trying to fix very well might make it worse. A little character wear isn't bad.
Well said.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
I think the aluminum grip frame
has a material choice problem. Like steel, does the manufacturer make the frame from a billet of 6000 or 7000 series, or make a die cast frame from a 4000 series aluminum?

On topic, die cast 4000 series will
anodize but with all the silicon doesn't make as solid a surface.

Anodizing forces a thick oxide surface conversion. The purity of the alloy determines the quality of the coat. Silicon content helps casting fluidity but is a drawback to surface conversion integrity.

Latest posts