Alliant powder going up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oh Yes! Jason Vanderbrink, the CEO of Vista Outdoors (newly purchased by a Czech holding company) that own CCI/Speer, Federal, Remington ammunition companies and Alliant Powder has promised a drastic cost increase in ammunition and reloading components earlier this year. Hodgdon Powders, Shooters World Powders predominantly come from the "Balkan States". There will be a distinct shortage of powder in the US in 2024. Besides Jason can make himself "look good" in the eyes of Vista's stockholders, by charging more money for less product. A foreign country, now controls 2/3rds of ammunition production in the USA. Comforting.

Last edited:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Tell me something that's not going up or hasn't already gone up.
Sure, if NOBODY bought any for the next six months they might have to drop the price, but most likely the company would just go under. So then what?
Don't worry about them going under peachhead.... the only discomfort they'll suffer is maybe missing a $400 breakfast at their club.
They are HOSING us....... DON'T BUY.
IMHO,
J.

Cholo

Staff member
I did find it in a store, had to pay tax on top of it. Massilon, OH
Here is a link to website.
Thanks for the tip! (y)

My son is bringing me 4#'s of powder. 2#'s of 296 @ $36 per # and 2#'s of 748 @ $33 per #. No hazmat fee so all he'll have to pay is about $151 OTD with sales tax and 3% CC fee. I can live with that!

32shooter

Blackhawk
Thanks for the tip! (y)

My son is bringing me 4#'s of powder. 2#'s of 296 @ $36 per # and 2#'s of 748 @ $33 per #. No hazmat fee so all he'll have to pay is about $151 OTD with sales tax and 3% CC fee. I can live with that!
Glad I could help!

I probably have enough pistol and rifle powder to last me my lifetime, no more of those than I shoot. I also picked up some shotgun powder, wasn't quite as cheap, and that is what I use the most of.
24 lbs of powder, 4,000 wads and about $900 and I was done.😲😩

Seabeeken

Bearcat
For some reason, a few of the posts kind of remind me of a conversation I had years ago. I was talking with a geologist who used to work for some oil company, but had quit that job and hired on with Uncle Sam. He was complaining about the price of gasoline; he said a lot of oil companies had discovered or purchased oil fields years earlier, had already recovered their initial investments/costs, and were making big profits on the oil or gasoline they were selling. He said he hoped the federal government would impose a "windfall profits tax" on the oil companies, because he didn't think it was fair for them to be making so much money!

That kind of surprised me! I knew he had bought his home in Ventura 20 years earlier, when he first started working for that oil company, and about had it paid off. So I asked Frank (his name was Frank ;^):

"So, you bought your house years ago, you've already paid off your mortgage, and whenever you sell it, you'll get 3 or 4 times more than you paid for it - do you think it's fair for you to keep all that money, or should Uncle Sam put a 'windfall profits tax' on what you make when you sell your house?"

Man, was Frank pissed (you would have thought I had insulted his wife)! But when I pressed him for an answer, all he could come up with was "That's different!" Only difference I could see was that he was FOR taxing other peoples' profits, but AGAINST taxing his own profits.

And to this day, I don't think I've met anyone who's willing to sell anything THEY own, for much less than market price (except maybe to friends or relatives ;^). Everyone seems to want market price, when it comes to selling their own stuff!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)
Its the California way of thinking.
In the 70's the oil companies we gobbling each other up. Exxon bought mobil, BP bought AR, etc. First order of business was they shut down the refineries of the companies they bought. This greatly reduced supply but demand only increased and prices soared. They created a monopoly and controlled supply keeping prices where they are. Hodgdon has done a similar thing by buying up the rights to the IMR, Win, ADI, Ramshot, Accurate, Blackhorn, in addition to their regular line. Vista Outdoor did the same with the lines they bought. They have a monopoly and control it all except for VV and SW/Lovex/Explosia. VV has been for the most part stable in price. How can VV make the finest powder in the world from the finest materials, ship to US, pay import taxes, and distribute across a continent cheaper than those made right here. I purged Hodgdon from my cabinet in recent months and will never use them again. I also will never buy Alliant again either, although I never used Alliant much anyway. We all have a choice of what to buy. I agree, let them eat their powder or just supply their military contracts. I no longer need them.
I also contacted CCI a couple years ago about adding on to their production facility to keep up with demand. Their response was that they are working 24/7 and their military and commercial ammo sales come first and reloaders get whats left. They also said they have no plans to expand production as this was a short shortage. This conversation was back during the obummer years and still they havent caught up. I doubt they want nor intend to. It keeps prices up.

Enigma

Hunter
There are other factors at play here. Around 30% of the nitrocellulose used in the production of gunpowder and explosives has historically been imported from China and Russia. Guess who is no longer selling nitrocellulose to the US? Military orders have also recently increased for ammo and explosives because of sales/military aid to Ukraine and Israel. The contracts to replace this ammo and explosives has priority over commercial sales - and sales to reloaders is way at the bottom of that list pf priorities - and always has been.

Don't buy it? By the end of the year, there won't be anything to buy.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Markets are easy to control: the big businesses simply reduce output (using the excuse du jour as needed). Don't worry, there will ALWAYS be supply; it will simply be dictated by the profit required by our executives.... and the cost of their yachts and planes.

J.

...In the 70's the oil companies we gobbling each other up. Exxon bought mobil, BP bought AR, etc. First order of business was they shut down the refineries of the companies they bought. This greatly reduced supply but demand only increased and prices soared. They created a monopoly and controlled supply keeping prices where they are...

IIRC, the biggest impact on refinery capacity over the last 50 years has been from environmental regulations and related permitting difficulties. Government has limited production far more than the industry has, or ever will. When Unocal was looking at pulling out of California, one of their employees advised me that the list of the titles of the California state environmental regs they had to comply with was three pages long (that's just the names of the regs, not the regulations themselves). And a VP at Arco advised me that it was easier to produce oil in central Asia, and haul it halfway around the planet to market, than it was to produce oil in California, 10 miles from the gas pump. Case in point: I mapped a billion barrel oil field that was discovered over 30 years ago off the southern California coastline - it's just a few miles from shore, and existing pipelines, refineries, and the California market, but it will probably never produce a drop of oil. Why? The California state government won't let it happen; even proposals to drill directionally from onshore locations to produce offshore reservoirs get shut down by state and local government.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, IIRC, etc., etc.

Latest posts