Alliant powder going up

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seabeeken

Bearcat
Friend sent me this from a local ace hardware. Alliant said prices were going up but wow.

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPEG
    IMG_0733.JPEG
    147.5 KB · Views: 150
For those that have not heard, our friends (cough-cough) at Vista have announced that come January 1, prices across the board will be rising from 1 to 10%. This is not only powders and primers but also loaded ammo. Do some research and look at who/what Vista owns---CCI, Alliant, Federal, Remington, Speer---pretty much all the stuff we need to have fun. If you are not stocked up now, hopefully you can find some stuff in the next 2 weeks. Isn't it amazing how loyal they are to the customers that keep them in business year after year. Oh ya---the increase is to the retailer, so you can bet the retailers will also tack on their extra percentage.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
They would do better if they keep their dealers supplied with the powders they do make.

It's inflation, which has been running 5%-10% or more since 'Honest Joe' Biden moved into the White House. Companies don't like to adjust prices every month, so they often do it after New Year's; sometimes they delay price increases, because they know it pisses off their customers and reduces sales, but that just makes the price jumps bigger, when they do occur. You'll likely see the same increase (or worse) a year from now.

Those of us old enough to have lived through Jimmy Carter's administration remember a simple truth about inflation - if you're going to need something, buy it today, because it will cost more tomorrow. In other words, get ahead and stay ahead, if at all possible.

(Which reminds me of General John Bell Hood's order to the Texas Brigade, after he was wounded at Chickamauga: "Go ahead and stay ahead of everything!" ;^)

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Looking at my internet reloading supply sites, everything is going up. And more than the 7% The Vista CEO said. Me thinks troubled times ahead for reloading supplies. Another way to subvert the 2nd Amendment?

Seabeeken

Bearcat
It's inflation, which has been running 5%-10% or more since 'Honest Joe' Biden moved into the White House. Companies don't like to adjust prices every month, so they often do it after New Year's; sometimes they delay price increases, because they know it pisses off their customers and reduces sales, but that just makes the price jumps bigger, when they do occur. You'll likely see the same increase (or worse) a year from now.

Those of us old enough to have lived through Jimmy Carter's administration remember a simple truth about inflation - if you're going to need something, buy it today, because it will cost more tomorrow. In other words, get ahead and stay ahead, if at all possible.

(Which reminds me of General John Bell Hood's order to the Texas Brigade, after he was wounded at Chickamauga: "Go ahead and stay ahead of everything!" ;^)

Its also Vista outdoors and Hodgdon monopolizing the powder industry. I have completely left them both for better quality and cheaper powders and wont go back. The American people must like taking it up the wazoo because they keep electing these communists

Seabeeken

Bearcat
Funny how a foreign company can make the finest powders on earth, ship them across the atlantic, and pay import taxes and still sell cheaper than powder made here.. Friend picked up some powder tonight. A new shipment of powder had just arrived. $60 and up.

For some reason, a few of the posts kind of remind me of a conversation I had years ago. I was talking with a geologist who used to work for some oil company, but had quit that job and hired on with Uncle Sam. He was complaining about the price of gasoline; he said a lot of oil companies had discovered or purchased oil fields years earlier, had already recovered their initial investments/costs, and were making big profits on the oil or gasoline they were selling. He said he hoped the federal government would impose a "windfall profits tax" on the oil companies, because he didn't think it was fair for them to be making so much money!

That kind of surprised me! I knew he had bought his home in Ventura 20 years earlier, when he first started working for that oil company, and about had it paid off. So I asked Frank (his name was Frank ;^):

"So, you bought your house years ago, you've already paid off your mortgage, and whenever you sell it, you'll get 3 or 4 times more than you paid for it - do you think it's fair for you to keep all that money, or should Uncle Sam put a 'windfall profits tax' on what you make when you sell your house?"

Man, was Frank pissed (you would have thought I had insulted his wife)! But when I pressed him for an answer, all he could come up with was "That's different!" Only difference I could see was that he was FOR taxing other peoples' profits, but AGAINST taxing his own profits.

And to this day, I don't think I've met anyone who's willing to sell anything THEY own, for much less than market price (except maybe to friends or relatives ;^). Everyone seems to want market price, when it comes to selling their own stuff!

Cholo

Staff member
I'm not needing powder, but I stopped in Sportsman's Warehouse today. I might have bought some 296 if they had it. They did have Power Pistol for $50 per pound and $175 per 4#'s. I already have some, but is that out of line in today's market?

Johnnu2

Hunter
For some reason, a few of the posts kind of remind me of a conversation I had years ago. I was talking with a geologist who used to work for some oil company, but had quit that job and hired on with Uncle Sam. He was complaining about the price of gasoline; he said a lot of oil companies had discovered or purchased oil fields years earlier, had already recovered their initial investments/costs, and were making big profits on the oil or gasoline they were selling. He said he hoped the federal government would impose a "windfall profits tax" on the oil companies, because he didn't think it was fair for them to be making so much money!

That kind of surprised me! I knew he had bought his home in Ventura 20 years earlier, when he first started working for that oil company, and about had it paid off. So I asked Frank (his name was Frank ;^):

"So, you bought your house years ago, you've already paid off your mortgage, and whenever you sell it, you'll get 3 or 4 times more than you paid for it - do you think it's fair for you to keep all that money, or should Uncle Sam put a 'windfall profits tax' on what you make when you sell your house?"

Man, was Frank pissed (you would have thought I had insulted his wife)! But when I pressed him for an answer, all he could come up with was "That's different!" Only difference I could see was that he was FOR taxing other peoples' profits, but AGAINST taxing his own profits.

And to this day, I don't think I've met anyone who's willing to sell anything THEY own, for much less than market price (except maybe to friends or relatives ;^). Everyone seems to want market price, when it comes to selling their own stuff!

YUP.... and when we make that huge profit, I know that I've always gotten TAXED......... Everytime I turn around, I'm paying tax for something... I even get taxed on the money that I was taxed on to put away for retirement.... and then taxed again, when I cash it in... Maybe it's just me being stupid, but maybe not (?)
J.

J.

32shooter

Blackhawk
I'm not needing powder, but I stopped in Sportsman's Warehouse today. I might have bought some 296 if they had it. They did have Power Pistol for $50 per pound and $175 per 4#'s. I already have some, but is that out of line in today's market?
I just picked up an 8lb jug of 231 & Bullseye. The 231 was $216 and the Bullseye was $241. These were prices before increases. Their 296 was $37 a pound and $268 for 8 pounds. The 296 is the new price with the increase.

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks! I Googled it and my son lives 18 minutes from there. Is that store generally better than Fin Feather Fur Outfitters?

32shooter

Blackhawk
They don't have much besides high end shotguns and reloading supplies.(powder and wads)
I don't shop much at the Fin anymore, they were price gougers back when shortage was going on.
If you want any powder from them and it is from the old stock, I wouldn't wait too long. When they restock the prices will go up.

Latest posts