Alan Harton picture thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thank you Americal. It isn't really anything special, I just don't collect Rugers to collect them, I only buy the ones I want to use for a project. Any neat Rugers I stumble onto get moved to a collector type person who is tickled with a rare model, lettered gun or something like that. There are guys here that have dozens of guns and guys who have never sold a Ruger they have boughten but I have a very small number of custom guns that I enjoy for their uniqueness. It is just a different focus but it a hard jump to make when one looks at the number of perfectly good, neat Rugers a guy can have for the cost of one full blown custom.

It helps if a person has a good measure of patience as well. Some projects take years to complete by the time you find the base gun, round up your special parts and get on the artisans schedule. It just gives a guy time to pick up more cans while you are waiting! :lol:

tek4260

Buckeye
Private school tuition kills my dreams of customs for now. $7000 per year for 2 children. That should buy at least 2 customs a year :) My youngest is starting 4K, I have a while to go!

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I have also had the pleasure & priviledge of meeting Alan at his shop.
My stated goal from a few years ago was to always have something for him to work on.
Since I got my first piece back from him, I have always had something in his shop waiting in line.
I am still getting back on my feet from 9 months of unemployment during which I had to let go a few of my pieces. I subscribe to the turnover pulse hypothesis, and believe that from any extinction and change comes diversification & progress.
For instance, these two beauties have now moved on to other owners, but have left in their wake room for a Harton Old Model 357 flattop conversion to 41 with a #5 gripframe:
A Harton SS & CCH 41 Magnum:
DSCN1363.jpg

& Harton Hard Chrome 1.4" 41:
DSCN1006.jpg

This is another Work In Progress from Alan - A 414 supermag - it's not even finished, and still has something special about it already:
DSCN1302.jpg

Alan lowered the hammer on my Model 83 for me as well (not to mention putting a well traveled 7.5" barrel on it in place of the original):
DSCN0921.jpg

These have also moved on the first job Alan did for me - trimming a pair of BFR's back to 5.5" and putting Weigand fronts on them ( my first 5-shots SA's - look what that led to!):
DSCN0848-1.jpg

2 dogs

Buckeye
My 32-20/327 custom light weight flattop old model Bisley by Harton. Custom carved leather by Mike Barranti.

2 dogs

Buckeye
My custom .257 Jackrabbit wildcat by Harton on a Ruger Single Six. Custom logo carved by Mike Barranti.

Major T

Blackhawk
2 dogs, you must have found a jack rabbit convention. I haven't seen that many rabbits in years.

Good job,

Jack

2 dogs

Buckeye
2 dogs said:
Some field work with Harton custom sixguns and Barranti leather.

To be honest, I actually killed quite a few more than what is shown. I often encountered 3-5 at a time and sometimes on multiple kill sites I would lose one in the Texas brush....

isaactc

Bearcat
Robb Barnes said:
I don't drink, smoke, have a car payment and I mow lots of lawns and pick up lots of cans. I also pre-save for a project and send additional payments beyond the deposit as I can. I also participate in the build to the extent I can by buying special parts I want installed a piece at a time before the project starts to keep the cost down. That way I feel involved and the work done is basically machine work, not material purchase as well. Just like a bushman eating an elephant - one bite at a time. :lol:

Oh and jobwise, I pump septic tanks. :(
An old friend of mine pumped septic tanks for his entire life. A very humble man, he retired a millionaire.