Alan Harton picture thread

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Let's start a thread with pictures of Alan Harton's work on Ruger revolvers. Those of you with guns done by Alan Harton, please post!

Well,
I can do that.
I first met Alan in 2002 and introduced him to the Ruger Forum Guys. Up until then he wasn't know to many outside of Houston as the Outstsnding Gunsmith that he is. He was doing a lot of work for us CAS shooters in the area. Also it was about this time that he was intoduced to Joe Bowman by one of the CAS shooters. He built up 19 OMs into 3 screw Vaqueros for Joe.
The first guns I had him do for me were Flattops that he converted to 45 Colt amoung other things. Then the list goes on and on. The last two were the ROAs that he finished last Sept.
Jim

1315669141-1-1.jpg

Old Model Vaqueros
1323800489.jpg

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I would love a Bearcat converted in .32H&R from him as well. I emailed him and he said that he is not accepting new orders at this point. I will wait my turn. Just gives me more time to get money around.

Keeps the pictures coming.

Andrew

414 Supermag with the topstrap rebuilt to match a Freedom Arms.
P1000963.jpg

Colt New Frontier converted to 45 Colt w/ 45 ACP cylinder
NewFrontier.jpg

TLA Improved #5 in 41 Mag with Ivory stocks he built from a bag of parts.
TLA41-7.jpg

TLA41.jpg

TLA Improved #5 in 44 Mag he rehardened the internals on and made the ivory grips for.
IMG_0309.jpg

Freedom Arms Model 83 41 Mag he did a bisley hammer for.
IMG_0182.jpg

SP101 he reshaped the hammer on and installed S&W adjustable sights on.
SP101002.jpg

americal

Hunter
Not a Alan Harton but look at the # 5 front sights and compare these done by Micro Co. in the 1950's KINDA CLOSE :lol:
IMG_1420.jpg

mt

Single-Sixer
I may have posted these over in the Gallery but here goes.

OM 357 Mag to 45 Colt, Power Custom #5 grip frame rounded slightly and custom ivory by Alan.

P10204495.jpg

P10204528.jpg

P10204451.jpg

This one started as a Bisley Vaquero 45 Colt 5.5 bbl I purchased from a forum member. It now has a 4 in. octagon and custom ivory rounded off the way I like it.

P10204371.jpg

P10204404.jpg

P10204426.jpg

mt

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I met Alan in 2003 at the big Houston gunshow at the Astro Hall. I talked with him about a simple 44 Special conversion on an OM 357, rechamber and cut and fit a SBH barrel. Turned out to be quite something different when we finally got to talking. I will never forget his words as I probed the possibilities, "Well Ed, I can machine it away and put it back if we have too". So he proceeded to build a one of a kind piece, which he has confirmed. In fact, it is in his shop now being restocked in fine walnut hauled down from Canada that my son found in his woodshop class scrap pile. I have quite a few from him including a nice reworked M29 so he does DA's equally well (my brain is actually working on another one at this time). Unfortunately my photo host went belly up so it's time to get out the camera and start all over again. Not a bad thing actually.

I don't drink, smoke, have a car payment and I mow lots of lawns and pick up lots of cans. I also pre-save for a project and send additional payments beyond the deposit as I can. I also participate in the build to the extent I can by buying special parts I want installed a piece at a time before the project starts to keep the cost down. That way I feel involved and the work done is basically machine work, not material purchase as well. Just like a bushman eating an elephant - one bite at a time. :lol:

Oh and jobwise, I pump septic tanks. :(

Triggernosis said:
How do you guys afford SEVERAL customs? I, apparently, chose the wrong line of work.....

Very simple. Work your arsh off from the time you were in the 5th grade until you retire 50 years later :wink: Naaaaaaaa I didn't give up beer :roll:
Sounds like a "crappy" job...
Might be crap to you but it his bread and butter :lol: :lol:

mt

Single-Sixer
Triggernosis said:
How do you guys afford SEVERAL customs? I, apparently, chose the wrong line of work.....

Priorities! I don't have ex-wive's, boats, airplanes, RV's, etc...guns are my "habit". My home is paid for, my truck is paid for and I live with-in my means. Simple huh?

Life is good.

mt

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Maybe if I didn't have a wife, period, I'd have enough for more custom guns. Yep, I'd probably live in an RV with a 3-car garage with one bay dedicated entirely to gun stuff.

americal

Hunter
Robb Barnes said:
I don't drink, smoke, have a car payment and I mow lots of lawns and pick up lots of cans. I also pre-save for a project and send additional payments beyond the deposit as I can. I also participate in the build to the extent I can by buying special parts I want installed a piece at a time before the project starts to keep the cost down. That way I feel involved and the work done is basically machine work, not material purchase as well. Just like a bushman eating an elephant - one bite at a time. :lol:

Oh and jobwise, I pump septic tanks. :(
I AM IMPRESSED really mean that--I have to sell,plot,beg,trade,save money to just buy Rugers that want letter :lol:

Doxadude

Bearcat
I met Alan back in 2002-2003 or so as well. Had him fix a blackhawk that had been botched up by another smith here in town. After sitting in his shop and talking with him and seeing some of his work, I have had him do work to most of my rugers. Mostly little things... trigger jobs, barrel swaps and shortening. I saw Wyandot Jim's revolvers at a CAS match and decided I NEEDED to have Alan take down my favorite 357 blackhawk and send the frame and hammer to Doug Turnbull. He removed the Ruger Bible from the barrel and smoothed things up... did an awesome deep re-blue to the barrel and cylinder. That's the one in my avatar. It was always fun to get to look at some of the projects he was working on to. Alan is a great guy with a real passion for his work.

standard.jpg