Advice on Ruger Revolvers for Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
Hi,

SP101 2 1/4 inch in Remora holster, AIWB.

Either Wiley Clapp 3inch or standard fixed sighted GP100 3 inch in pancake holster on side. Grips are compact Ruger style even on the Wiley Clapp. Tough Strip reloads.

Cheers
Houston

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
My open double action carry choice is the Ruger Alaskan although I have a 5.5" Redhawk as an alternative.
The grip/balance of the Alaskan suit me better than the Redhawk. Put the Redhawk barrel on the Alaskan, I would probably go with the longer barrel.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The .357 with full power 125jhp will do as much as can be done with two legged defense. .44 would only have possable advantage for large critters.

If you prefer , and are willing to dress around the GP-100 , no reason not to.

If you wanted easy carry with minimal thought ( as to clothing) , SP101 is as small as you can go , and still be controlable with full power loads.

You didn't include Security or Speed Six, but they would be ideal.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
drastic_quench said:
Great question. About 90% personal/home defense and 10% woods/water carry. This is why I'm open to shooting some 44 special, because I know the 44 magnum is more medicine than I need for two-legged threats.

You need two. I will explain.

I have the 4" Redhawk and a 3" GP100 with adjustable sights. Both great guns. Good for different situations.

For back country exploring I take the 44. IMO the 44 or 45 can't be beat for a woods carry gun. It is enough gun for anything you might come across. A person could argue that the 357 is plenty and make a great case. We have feral hogs here. The big bore is more comforting. I am confident that the muzzle blast off of a short barrel 357 would discourage a hog.

For fishing or poking around areas where the possible treats are snakes or people I take the GP. It is lighter and easier to conceal. Plenty for a cottonmouth or wild dog or dirtbag discouragement.

I'm going to throw this in the mix. I have been searching for the perfect trail gun (for me). Recently I purchased a 45cal Flat top covertable. Even more recently I purchased a Talo Super Blackhawk. That Super Blackhawk might just obsolete all the other revolvers for woods carry.....just saying. You already hunt with a Super Blackhawk and have ammo. Why not carry a like revolver?

I will mirror what gramps has said. The Redhawk is big and heavy. It gets a little on the heavy side after all day. I use a Mernickle cross draw holster.

My favorite of the revolvers you listed would be the GP. The 3" SP would be fine. I don't favor the fixed sights. At least the Wiley Clapp has windage adjustable sights.

Be sure and let us know what you end up with!

Corbi

shatolang

Bearcat
Carrying a 4.2" sp101 in 357 with an OWB mernickle holster is very comfortable and surprisingly concealable, even with just a t-shirt. Went from IWB only until I tried the mernickle. Now have one for the single ten and the lcr. Also have a double OWB speed loader holder. 15 rounds of 357, rock and roll. Check them out, im sure even a 44mag wouldnt be too bad in their holster. www.mernickleholsters.com

flatgate

Hawkeye
My first question would be city or country? Two totally different situations, at least in my neck of the woods.
.32 Mag for town. .44 Mag. for low country. .454 for Bear areas.

flatgate

Sgt405

Bearcat
I purchased a GP100 Wiley Clapp 3" and did not plan on making it a carry gun. I ended up falling in love with it and now its my off duty gun.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
A .44 magnum is just too much for city/suburban carry. For woods carry it's fine and for bear country it is hard to beat, but how many of us are actually in bear country a majority of the time? For personal city/suburban carry a .357 in a small compact package should be more than enough. I know there are exceptions, but how many times, if ever, will you need more than 5 or 6 rounds in a defensive situation? I'll stand by my opinion that if you need more than 6 rounds you need some help. A .38+P in the .357 would actually probably be sufficient in most circumstances.

Latest posts