??? about current 45 Colt.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I am a Ruger owner, all I have are Ruger single actions, 22/22m and SBH, 3 81 prefix and 1 85 prefix. My question is about the current production Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I have read about thread choke and throats being too small on guns of the past. Somewhere I read that these problems have been corrected in the current production guns. Does anyone know for sure ? I would like to have a 45 but I don't want to have to send it out for a make over. Thanks.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
All you have to do, test fit a .452" XTP, ( or your favorite bullet) into chamber. Odds are, it wont fit. A simple reamer, with pilot. Will fix. Pain free. Made my .45's better. No more leading. Improved accuracy. I used pin gages to measure throat dia.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. The throat problem is something easy to fix but how about the barrel at the frame junction. I am not wanting to lap. I have read where some guys solve the problem by doing a barrel lap and I have also seen warnings about doing a lap.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
onehandgunner said:
Thanks guys. The throat problem is something easy to fix but how about the barrel at the frame junction. I am not wanting to lap. I have read where some guys solve the problem by doing a barrel lap and I have also seen warnings about doing a lap.
True "barrel lapping" is not very common. However, if you are referring to barrel "forcing cone reaming", a revolver may or may not need it. As I remember, reaming the forcing cone, is only a problem if one fires a lot of near/max loads. Some claim erosion/cracking may occur. I have a 4" stainless Security Six from the 1980s with a reamed forcing cone. It has digested about 2000 .357 rounds (most 158gr.) and several thousand .38spls (all weights and configs.) with no signs of problems at the forcing cone. If a particular revolver is not shaving excessively at the barrel, and accuracy is acceptable, IMO there is no reason to ream the barrel forcing cone.

Rclark

Hunter
I've had to fire-lap a a couple of my revolvers for thread choke. One was a .45 Colt, and the other was a .357. I've got a few revolvers, and these were the only two I needed it for due to excessive leading. My point is, don't let 'possible' problems get in the way of purchasing a revolver. It can happen with any revolver. My suggestion is to see how it shoots first and then if you aren't getting the results you expect from your experience of shooting (say 6" group at 20 yards, instead of the 2" you normally get), then start making adjustments.

As for cylinder throat reaming, I think Ruger is doing a better job. My last .45s where 'much' closer to optimum than my earlier ones.

kooz

Blackhawk
I just recently bought a new blued full size Blackhawk in .45 and there was no thread choke at all . Barrel grove diameter on this new gun is .4505 and cyl throats varied just ever so slightly between all 6 .451-.4512 . I have had thread choke in a couple older guns and was pleasantly surprised to see this one was done right .

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Thanks Richard and kooz, I have 4 SBHs and don't have a problem with anything on them. Richard you know how Iowegan feels about lapping. I would rather have the barrel pulled and replaced. I'm getting ready to buy here in the not too distant future and was wondering just how good the current production 45s are. Koos seems to have a good one. I can buy new for less than what sellers on GB want. Granted I will not know how it shoots until the check clears the bank. Now it is just a wait thing. Thanks, Jerry

lgriff1968

Bearcat
onehandgunner said:
I am not referring to cutting the forcing cone from 5* to 11*. I am talking about thread choke.
Ok, what you are calling thread choke, I know as frame choke, and barrel lapping and fire lapping as two different processes.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have never been to Ruger in N.H. but I hear the guy that installs the barrels to the frame is the size of Brutus with arms like Popeye and uses an 8' cheater pipe.

Rclark

Hunter
Richard you know how Iowegan feels about lapping.
I do, but from what I've read and experienced, firelapping can solve certain problems and make the gun much more accurate if done right. More lapping rounds down range than required is not better in this case! I have no qualms using firelapping when needed. The revolvers will still out last me and I'll enjoy shooting them much more in the meantime. Oh, and if I do somehow wear out a barrel (man if only I had the time to shoot that much!) ... then I'll replace it.

Ross Seyfried .44 Special, firelapping article.

Fermin Garza Fire lapping article.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several Ruger 45's.
Buy one,,, and shoot it BEFORE you start to worry.
As noted, tight cylinders can EASILY be corrected,, IF NECESSARY.
And as for thread choke, or whatever you call it where there is slight difference in the barrel dimension, at the junction of the frame & barrel,,, it too can be easily done. Read Fermin's article,,, then,,, read it again.
Only fix a problem IF,,, IF,,, one exists.

lark63

Single-Sixer
I 2nd Contender's thought- Buy one and shoot it.
It seems a common theme here that people buys Ruger 45 Colts and start with the reamers before the first shot is fired.
Check with ACRYLICTNK here on RF- he had some stainless blackhawks for around $450 delivered to your FFL.
Aside from poor fitting grips, common issue with the stainless guns- the ones I bought from him are fine shooters

Rclark

Hunter
It seems a common theme here that people buys Ruger 45 Colts and start with the reamers before the first shot is fired.
I 'usually' but not allows shoot my revolvers first to make sure it is in working order. But, if you are like me, I have the .452 reamer on hand. So the first thing I check is the throat sizes with a .452 bullet. Might pull out the pin gauges too. If it is a no go, then its an automatic ream. No reason not too, as you already know you have a problem if shooting lead like I do (throats must be at least .001 over barrel size. Ruger barrels has been consistent .451). Can't do any harm, only good. Then check to make sure the forcing cone is 11 degrees. if not it gets taken care of (have tool on hand). Then extensively shoot it for accuracy, get a feel for it, check for leading after every session. If it is leading badly then check for barrel restrictions and take action accordingly. Finally if all things are 'acceptable' then turn it over to gunsmith for a action tuneup and get some decent grip panels. Done. Ready for action.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have read moans and groans about the mentioned problems that seems to come with the 45s. What I am driving at is: are the most recent produced 45s free from some of the problems that have plagued the past produced models. Yes I will shoot it before I drag out the torch and grinder. Rclark has what I believe is a rational approach. Again I thank all of you for your suggestions. All of my 44s are great shooters with little or no work, I would like to have a 45 just for grins. Thanks, Jerry

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
My most recent purchase was the Talo Turnbull Bisley. It is one of the best revolvers I own. I did ream the cylinder throats only because I have the reamer and I was having some difficulty seating my LBT bullet. They would pass a .451 bullet with ease so they were only slightly under sized. In shooting sessions both before and after the reaming, I am getting virtually no leading and amazing accuracy. Saturday I finally did some shooting with some heavy weights, and they too did terrific.

So...If my new Bisley is any indication of the 45's that Ruger is putting out now then buy with confidence.

Dan

ironhead7544

Bearcat
Dont know about the 45s, but the last 3 new Ruger 44s I checked were .429 barrels and .430 throats. I was happy with that.