A Useful, Inexpensive Brass Cleaning Process

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
You good folks on this board have given me so much useful information, I figured it was time to give something back - a little. Take it for what's it worth...

I just stumbled upon this method of cleaning brass - sort of by accident. It's a two-step process that cuts way down on usual tumbling times. (And you could dispense with tumbling altogether.)

Step 1:
Visiting Sportsmans Warehouse one day, I picked up a product new to me: Birchwood-Casey "Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner." I've had no experience with it, and the salesman hadn't either. But the price was right, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd just begun shooting 40 caliber S&W and needed a starter batch of brass, so I bought three pounds of "range" brass from our shooting club. They sweep up and sort what others leave behind, so what you get is a pretty mixed bag. Most of the stuff I got was reasonably clean, but some of it was downright nasty-looking.

The Birchwood Casey concentrate comes in a 16 oz. bottle that will make up two gallons of cleaner. The directions recommend that you start with deprimed cases. That made sense to me, so I put my Lee universal decapping die to work. You gotta love that thing. It doesn't touch your cases; just decaps them, and the way they designed it you'd have to work overtime to ever break the decapping pin.

Then you mix two ounces of the concentrate per quart of hot water. The "hot" part seems important.

Then they say you should completely immerse your brass in the solution for three minutes, stirring occasionally. I'd made up only one quart, so it took about three dunking steps to process all my range brass.

They recommend you rinse the cases (I took that to mean rinse the hell out of them in scalding hot water), then allow them to dry. They suggest you can accelerate drying by wiping the cases and taking a hair dryer to them.

That sounded a little tedious to me, so I dumped handfuls of the rinsed cases on an old terry-cloth towel, folded it over them, rolled them in it, then picked the towel up by the corners and shook the cases real good, like they were in a bag. Then I spread them out on an old cookie sheet and took my heat gun to them. (The heat gun is a glorified hair dryer intended to shrink that nifty heat-shrink tubing used in electronics.) After that, I set the pan in the oven, temp set to "warm," and left them in there with the oven door ajar for about forty minutes. No way could they get to over 200 degrees that way, and they came out bone dry.

And clean. Not shiny-clean like you can get from a long tumbling session with good media and a polishing additive, but definitely clean. Even the nastiest cases were pretty much indiscernible from the rest of the batch. The only thing that didn't come clean was some of the green corrosion in a few primer pockets.

At that point, I couldn't really tell if the insides of the cases had benefitted a bit from the treatment. The insides are rarely shiny on even new brass. The insides of these cases looked pretty much like what you'd expect of once-fired brass.

But! After Step 2, I learned that this chemical wonder had done something about the interior crud.

Whew! Writing that took a lot longer than doing it! With some planning, I figure a guy would take Step 1, from beginning to oven time, les than 30 minutes.

Step 2:
This is probably not necessary at all, but I like shiny brass. So I dumped the dry, chemically cleaned cases in my tumbler with walnut shell media to which I'd added a little of Franklin Arsenal's case polish. I let it run a little over an hour.

What came out were amazingly clean cases; the best I've ever seen. Even the insides were clean. Not shiny, but definitely a dull brass color. Seems the chemical cleaner somehow or other "broke down" or softened up the interior coating of powder residue enough that the mechanical tumbling could finish the job.

After their trip through the Lee full-length resizing die, all the cases positively glistened.

Oh. Those few cases with greenish corrosion in the primer pockets? They cleaned up nicely with the gentle application of a primer-pocket cleaning brush. Even that seemed easier than before.

I have no idea about the cleaning capacity of the diluted concentrate. My first quart cleaned about three hundred cases and still seemed to be going strong. So I saved it in a glass jar for future re-use. I have a hunch it still has a lot of life left in it.

If you're worried about the stuff damaging your brass, I found a secondary use for the cleaner that should put your mind at rest:

As it happens, my wife and I are in a band. My part is mostly to do the sound engineering and drive the soldering iron. But I also play a little harmonica.

Harmonicas are fairly simple instruments that use brass or bronze reeds to produce their notes. Unfortunately, with normal use, those reeds, and the small cavities around them, get gunked up to the point that they'll start misbehaving. I've tried all manner of ways to clean those sticky reeds, but you want to be careful because they're pretty delicate.

One evening during band practice, one of my harps started acting up. It was an inexpensive one, so I wasn't putting much at risk when I put the Birchwood-Casey cleaning solution in the microwave to heat it up, dunked the harmonica in it, stirred it around for three minutes - then rinsed the livin' daylights out of it and dried it out.

The results were amazing! That harp immediately started playing as good as new.

Now, if that cleaning solution had eaten away any appreciable amount of the reeds' metal, that harp would have played out of key by an audible amount. That didn't happen.

I figure that, if it's safe enough to clean my harp reeds without affecting the pitch, it sure isn't going to do my brass any harm.

So there it is.

My former practice was to do all my cleaning in a tumbler; and it worked pretty well. The only real drawback was that I had to tumble a long time.

I'm intrigued by the newer, ultrasonic systems. The potental is certainly there. But, until I hear some better reports, Ill use my two-sted process.

Ah - and it's a lot quicker than it ook you to read it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks for sharing. Many of us are always looking for easier & cheaper ways to do any job,,,! Especially with better results.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

The "world's cheapest tumbler" comes to mind... sounds like Birchwood Casey picked up on it somewhere along the way:

Get one of those plastic coffee "cans" like Folger's and a couple of others use. Make sure it's clean, then put in a squirt of dish detergent (Dawn is my favorite), about 1/4 "can" of brass, enough warm to hot water to cover the brass. Put the lid on, hold it snugly (it'll leak!), and shake for a couple of minutes. Let sit a few more if you wish, or just drain. Rinse well. Drain and dry. In the winter, I use the cookie sheet in the oven at about 150 approach, while summer time sees the cookie sheet on the back porch (just as fast around here!)

All the rest of the procedures Soldernut describes can be performed as you wish...

Picked this up on another forum some time back. I wonder if B-C is putting a little Dawn in their bottles and getting a whole lot more for it?

Rick C

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

The "world's cheapest tumbler" comes to mind... sounds like Birchwood Casey picked up on it somewhere along the way:

Get one of those plastic coffee "cans" like Folger's and a couple of others use. Make sure it's clean, then put in a squirt of dish detergent (Dawn is my favorite), about 1/4 "can" of brass, enough warm to hot water to cover the brass. Put the lid on, hold it snugly (it'll leak!), and shake for a couple of minutes. Let sit a few more if you wish, or just drain. Rinse well. Drain and dry. In the winter, I use the cookie sheet in the oven at about 150 approach, while summer time sees the cookie sheet on the back porch (just as fast around here!)

All the rest of the procedures Soldernut describes can be performed as you wish...

Picked this up on another forum some time back. I wonder if B-C is putting a little Dawn in their bottles and getting a whole lot more for it?

Rick C

Dawn = soap/detergent = great stuff for making water "wetter." It's great for cleaning all manner of things, though I've never just tried hot "soap & water" to clean brass. But I bet it does a good job on a lot of the brass we encounter.

B-C is definitely a little stiffer than Dawn:

Danger: Contains phosphoric and sulphuric acid. Corrosive to the eyes and may damage skin upon prolonged contact. Harmful of fatal if swallowed.

Caution: Protectives gloves and eye protection are recommend with using this product.

Now, all that said, even the straight concentrate lacks the pungent, acidic, nose-stinging you get if you take a whiff of sulphuric acid. I got a fair amount of the diluted solution on my hands, and it did no harm - just rinsed away.

My hunch is that they've buffered the acids with something(s) to tame things down. Oh, and maybe added some Dawn? :)

Seriously, I bet a curious and frugal person could experiment with all manner of household cleaners and concoct something great for brass. Candidate materials might include vinegar, ammonia, tri-sodium phosphate, washing soda, swimming-pool hydrocloric acid; the list is almost endless.

Just better have a basic understanding of chemistry before you go a-mixing some of those things. :lol:

Me? I already have way too many things to experiment with. The B-C product is working well for me, so I'll call it good until it runs out and maybe find something better.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
If anyone has black walnuts on their land.

After you crack them and get the meat out of the nut....soak the husks in warm water for a day then drain the water into a bucket. The water contains tannic acid that will clean brass like you wouldn't believe. Unfortunately it will tan your hands also.

Don't know if anyone else does this, but being somewhat of a mad scientist (and cheap) I figure this would be the place to pass it along.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
There is a thread on the Castboolits website about using citric acid. It works about the same at the B C, But retails for CHEEP.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A coworker used to moonlight as a tow truck driver. He always carried a six pack of Coca Cola (the real stuff, not diet or other varieties) in the truck.

He said it was great for cleaning stuff, especially corroded battery connections, because of the phosphoric acid content.

I don't drink soda, but maybe somebody who does like Coke and has some junk brass lying about might want to do an "experiment" for us and give a report!

Rick C

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I'd be a little concerned about corrosive chemicals. The makers warn you away from ammonia, so if that's a problem, why wouldn't phosphoric or sulfuric acid? Then again, I'm not a chemist and don't know "why" ammonia is so bad.

But if you wanted to clean it in this way, just about any cleaner added to the water would help: PB Blaster, Simple Green, Dawn. Even "Barkeeper's Friend" cleanser has some mild acid in it to help clean stainless; You might try dissolving some of that in water and see what it does for brass. Or add it dry to your tumbler. Hmm...

-- Sam

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam said:
I'd be a little concerned about corrosive chemicals. The makers warn you away from ammonia, so if that's a problem, why wouldn't phosphoric or sulfuric acid? Then again, I'm not a chemist and don't know "why" ammonia is so bad.

Hi, Sam

There's an old saying that toxicologists use about poisons. This should be an accurate enough rendition: "A poison is defined not by the substance but by the dosage."

The way I interpret that is there are substances REQUIRED for life in one dosage that may prove FATAL in another. Water, salt, iron, selenium, and a few others come to mind.

Applying that same mentality to our brass, we see the warnings about ammonia. Everybody "knows" (???) that ammonia "weakens" brass. Ok, but "how much" and in what "dosage?" If you look at brass cleaners, they almost always have ammonia. If you read the labels of most copper solvents, they have ammonia, too. Ammonia attacks or dissolves copper, the major ingredient in brass.

Ok. But watch how long it takes for the solvent to remove just small amounts of copper in many barrels. Seeing that, I'm not scared to use brass polish on my cartridge brass. Soaking the same brass for a day or two in "industrial strength" ammonia (which does a quicker job in barrels than the hi-dollar offerings) might turn into a really bad idea. I dunno...

Methinks the old advice about "everything in moderation" is important to remember here. ;)

Rick C

M'BOGO

Buckeye
You guys should give a look at the thread on Castboolits I was referencing. It's in the Kit Room section, titled Citric acid brass cleaner. There are some chemistry oriented folks on there, and discussions going into the subject, and different formulas thrown around.

Flash

Buckeye
I use cheap tomato ketchup, diluted in a bucket of hot water for cleaning the crud. Been doing that for about 20 years now.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I always wash my brass first with dish detergent and then dry in the oven. It gets rid of any dirt or grit from the range. I wonder if the new bottle of Hornady 'One Shot" brass polish I have has citric acid in it? It now has a new citrus scent which it did not have before. hmmmm. :D

...Jimbo

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I quit dry tumbling a few years ago. For large quanities of brass, I use a Lortone QT-12 wet rock tumbler. A now deceased gentleman who processed brass on the side once told me about phosphoric acid. I use a teaspoon in a gallon of water with a few sprays of Simple Green. Tumble for about 25 minutes, rinse in cold or hot water and put on a cookie sheet. I dry them in the convection oven at 200F. I once cleaned 2500 .30-06 cases in an evening that would have taken a week in my Lyman dry vibrator/tumbler. They are clean and shiny, much better than I ever got out of the dry process. Phosphoric acid used to be readlily available. I'm not so sure now. I liberated a few gallons from my former employer when the closed up the metallurgical lab, so I'm set for life.

krf

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
K. Funk said:
Phosphoric acid used to be readlily available. I'm not so sure now. I liberated a few gallons from my former employer when the closed up the metallurgical lab, so I'm set for life.

Hi,

Many liquid janitorial products I've seen are based on phosphoric acid. A local janitorial supply house might be a place to look for those of us who don't have other "suppliers."

Rick C

soldernut

Single-Sixer
K. Funk said:
Phosphoric acid used to be readlily available. I'm not so sure now.

When I woked in the automotive industry, phosphoric acid was commonly used by body shops to treat bare metal before applying primer. It was sold in quart (and larger) bottles at any automotive paint store. I'm not sure the concentration, but it sure prevented rust.

One of the best all-around cleaners I've ever encountered is a cousin of phosphoric acid, TSP (tri-sodium phosphate). This stuff is (was) used by house painters to remove the film of grease that accumulates in rooms like kitchens. I last saw it for sale in a Home Depot store.

Back in the day I home-brewed my own beer, we used TSP to clean the champaign bottles that would eventually hold the beer. We'd put a few tablespoons of TSP in a large, plastic "gargage can" full of warm water, immerse the bottles for a few hours, then rinse them thoroughly. Even old bottles with a layer of hard-caked yeast in the bottom would come out sparkling clean.

You may remember a few years back when laundry detergents were reformulated to be "Phosphate Free." Guess what they removed? Yep: TSP.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Since first posting my report about the Birchwood-Casey Brass Cartridge Case Cleaner, I have an update:

If you're like me, you wonder about the cleaning capacity of any such concoction. I mean, it's value lies, in great part, in how much cleaning you get for the money invested.

This evening I decapped a bunch of 40 cal brass that had been cleaned with this chemical before. The first batch was about 3 pounds of brass. This time, I had only half as much brass to clean.

But I re-used the batch of cleaner I'd initially mixed up - curious if it'd still work.

Work? OhMiGawd did it work! As before, I heated the (now previously used) cleaning mixture, dumped my brass in, and gave it some agitation with a big plastic spoon every now and again - for the four recommended minutes.

Within a minute I could see what was happening: The brass was getting shinier than the first time.

You may remember that the first time I used this stuff, I felt the brass was "clean," but not particularly shiny. So, after it was all dry, I ran it in my tumbler, with walnut media and Frankford Arsenal's brash polish, for about an hour. It came out of the tumbler pretty shiny; then glistening shiny after a trip through my Lee carbide resizing die.

This time, it looks like all the previous preparation "stuck." This batch of cases is about as shiny as I could want; no subsequent tumbling required.

Others in this thread have mentioned other liquid cleaning possibilities - and I'm sure some of them would work as well as this commercial product.

But I'm satisfied with what it is. Damned impressed, in fact. I may experiment with other stuff when I run this bottle dry - but it's more likely I'll go back for more of the same.

It works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Thanks for your informative post.

However, it sounds like you are going through a lot of extra work. Your original post said this method cuts down on tumbling time.

But the beauty of a tumbler is you can dump your brass in it and forget about it while you do something else. I usually just turn the tumbler on and go do something else for a few hours. The tumbler doesn't care how long it runs, just burns up some extra electricity. By the time I turn off the tumbler, all my brass is plenty shiny. The tumbler also removes any grit that may have gotten onto the brass if they fell to the ground.

No, the tumbler does not get the inside of the brass shiny, but frankly, that does not matter. That little bit of dusty residue left inside the case will not affect anything, I have been doing this for a long time, trust me on this.

Thanks for the informative post, but you may eventually get tired of all that work. If you do, just dump them in the tumbler and forget about them for a few hours while you do something else.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Biggest help for me was putting a timer on my tumbler. Now I just turn it on and walk away, and it's done some time later.

But a lot does depend on the rest of your process. If you like to decap before cleaning, do a bunch of other brass prep, whatever, I've found different things work for different styles.

-- Sam

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Driftwood Johnson said:
Howdy

Thanks for your informative post.

However, it sounds like you are going through a lot of extra work. Your original post said this method cuts down on tumbling time.

But the beauty of a tumbler is you can dump your brass in it and forget about it while you do something else. I usually just turn the tumbler on and go do something else for a few hours. The tumbler doesn't care how long it runs, just burns up some extra electricity. By the time I turn off the tumbler, all my brass is plenty shiny. The tumbler also removes any grit that may have gotten onto the brass if they fell to the ground.

No, the tumbler does not get the inside of the brass shiny, but frankly, that does not matter. That little bit of dusty residue left inside the case will not affect anything, I have been doing this for a long time, trust me on this.

Thanks for the informative post, but you may eventually get tired of all that work. If you do, just dump them in the tumbler and forget about them for a few hours while you do something else.

I think all my writing about it makes it sound like more work than it is. Seriously, I'm talking about ten minutes of time to clean a couple hundred cases; plus fifteen minutes in a warm oven.

You're right; the tumbler doesn't care how long it runs. When it's finished, though, I have to sift the brass out of the media, then spend time picking bits of media out of flash holes.

Periodically I have to change the tumbling media (messy), etc.

Not to worry; I'm not about to ditch my tumbler. It'll still have its place.

I'm just sayin' I'm impressed with this chemical method and like the time it saves.