A tip that worked for me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tmahler99

Bearcat
I'm fairly new to reloading and just bought my first vibratory cleaner. I dumped some .40 S & W cases in and tumbled them. When I took them out some of the media was stuck in the flash hole. I came upon the idea of using a soft tip dart to push the media out. The size of the dart tip was small enough to fit in the hole, but not strong enough to alter the size of the hole, plus the barrel of the dart made for easy holding.

Just thought I'd share this little tip I stumbled upon.

Thanks.
Merry Christmas, Peace and God Bless.
Trent

Sounds like it ought to work just fine.

Personally, I deprime my cases before tumbling using a dedicated deprime-only die. After tumbling, I re-size the cases and the deprime pin in the sizing die removes any bits of tumbling media.

:)

Chief 101

Hunter
just tried that and at 8' I can't even hit the case let alone the primer pocket!
063.gif

contender

Ruger Guru
I use a large paperclip straightened out with a folded over piece to dislodge walnut media from flash holes in my rifle brass. Everyone creates their own little tools to get a job done. Sounds like yours is a good one.

don44

Hunter
Chief 101 said:
just tried that and at 8' I can't even hit the case let alone the primer pocket!
063.gif
Just keep practicing and you'll hit it.... I know you will. :D

contender said:
I use a large paperclip straightened out with a folded over piece to dislodge walnut media from flash holes in my rifle brass. Everyone creates their own little tools to get a job done. Sounds like yours is a good one.

Same here. That's what I've used for years and I can always lay my hands on one. :wink:

Dennis.

Chief 101

Hunter
Hey, even if I do miss a few times it is better than my old way of shooting the media out with a primer!
guns.gif

Blut und eisen

Bearcat
I always insure the flash hole is clear prior to priming as well. This is part of my case prep procedures. That being said, a few years ago, out of curiosity I ran a test batch of .223, intentionally leaving a particle of tumbling media stuck in the flash hole. I wanted to see if they would still function. The load in question was a 55g FMJ over 21g of 3031 powered by a standard Remington SRP. Out of the 50 rounds, all fired. Six of them were a bit hesitant, almost like a muzzle loader and three of this six left a pronounced black smudge around the primer area. None of the primers were flattened and there were no visible overpressure indicators at all. What have I accomplished by doing this? I have the added confidence that my ammo will go, even if I ever did miss one. Food for thought....