A No. 1 .44 Mag load for deer.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have limited experience hunting deer and want to work up a load for my No. 1. Hornady is the most common brand around here. I had a nice load with the 265 gr. SP, but they've been discontinued. I'm considering the 225 gr. FTX, the 240 gr. HP-XTP, and the 300 gr. HP-XTP. This load would be for the No. 1 ONLY.
Do you have to trim cases to 1.225" to shoot the 225 gr. FTX in a No. 1?
I'm using a 1-4x scope and a maximum range of 125 yards.
A 150 lb. buck will be the biggest critter I expect.
Thanks.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
1.285 should be ok, but the problem may arise if the ogive of the bullet runs into the rifling. Try a dummy round with the bullet seated but uncrimped. If it is too long, the bullet will be pushed back into the case.

One of the great things about reloading for a No, 1 is you don't have to fit your round into a magazine or worry about crimping. At ~$50/100 for bullets (local Bass Pro) I don't want to buy a box just for fun. Trimming isn't out of the question and considering my application I'm leaning toward the 225 FTX. 296 Winchester is my 'on-hand' powder and all the data I have indicates it should work well.

Thanks for your input.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I run 20 grains of 296 under a 300 grain XTP, which is max in one of my manuals, and a grain over max in another. I wouldn't run them in anything but a Ruger or FA revolver, but a #1 would laugh at them. I seat the bullet to the top cannelure (shorter OAL) and use a medium-heavy crimp. Very consistent and accurate. If one were to seat out and load to 100% density with W296/H110, the potential is there for a real thumper, especially in a long gun.

I was curious about the powder, I can't see an appreciable difference between H110 and Win 296 so I don't plan to add a powder to my inventory. 17.8 gr. is the maximum in my Hornady 8th (2010?) edition. I figure the case/primer will be the weak link but I'm going to go for accuracy over velocity. CCI 350 is my current primer stock.
My revolver is an Interarms S.S. Virginian Dragoon 8 3/8". I wouldn't want to put anything above a 'max' load through it, though I've never had any concerns. I'd love a FA, but since I only have $165 1984 dollars invested in the Dragoon it's hard to justify.

I'm looking forward to some fun.

Thanks.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I was curious about the powder, I can't see an appreciable difference between H110 and Win 296 so I don't plan to add a powder to my inventory. 17.8 gr. is the maximum in my Hornady 8th (2010?) edition. I figure the case/primer will be the weak link but I'm going to go for accuracy over velocity. CCI 350 is my current primer stock.
My revolver is an Interarms S.S. Virginian Dragoon 8 3/8". I wouldn't want to put anything above a 'max' load through it, though I've never had any concerns. I'd love a FA, but since I only have $165 1984 dollars invested in the Dragoon it's hard to justify.

I'm looking forward to some fun.

Thanks.
Current production Hodgdon H110 and Winchester 296 are the exact same powder, just packaged in bottles with different labels. Hodgdon's latest manual and their website show 19.0 grains max with the Hornady 300 grain XTP. Honestly with the Dragoon, I would keep loads well below book, simply because parts are hard to find. I load for my step-dad's Dragoon and use 240 grain cast semi-wadcutters and 7 grains of Titegroup...runs a little over 1,000 FPS, recoil is comfortable, and accuracy is quite good.

Current production Hodgdon H110 and Winchester 296 are the exact same powder, just packaged in bottles with different labels. Hodgdon's latest manual and their website show 19.0 grains max with the Hornady 300 grain XTP. Honestly with the Dragoon, I would keep loads well below book, simply because parts are hard to find. I load for my step-dad's Dragoon and use 240 grain cast semi-wadcutters and 7 grains of Titegroup...runs a little over 1,000 FPS, recoil is comfortable, and accuracy is quite good.
A Buddy of mine was touring the Coors brewery years ago and noted Coors Light and Keystone Light were being filled from the same vat. When he asked the tour guide it was ~ 'Well, most folks don't notice that...' I guess the same can apply to propellents.
Elmer Keith figured out years ago if you need a more powerful pistol...you need a different pistol.
I don't shoot the Dragoon much but mostly because I don't need to. With Pachmayr grips and moderate-heavy loads it's fine, but then, I'm old enough to be familiar with Mr. Keith.
That's why there's Freedom Arms. I don't have one or know anybody that does. And I have absolutely no use for one. Or a '67 Corvette.

Thanks for the load/powder information.

contender

Ruger Guru
Mobuck beat me too it.
Crimping.
While it won't be an issue where bullet jump is a concern,, it is a concern where consistent accuracy is desired. As noted,, a moderate to heavy crimp is recommended.
Same thing with T/C Contenders & Encores. Just because it's a single shot,, doesn't mean a good crimp isn't necessary.

Most folks I know who enjoy straight walled handgun calibers rarely trim brass. Unless they have a lot that turns out to be poorly made. Maybe trim the brass once,, then usually forget it.

As noted also, H110 & Win 296 are the same powder.

pulaski

Single-Sixer
Big John ,
I have the same No.1 in 44 mag . Tom at Accurate Molds built a 300 grain mold for that exact rifle .
Look at mold # 43-300S
Mine likes it with 15.0g of 2400
Steve

A 225gr FTX and 22+-gr Lil Gun would probably impress the deer. Figure out what lightly compressed works out to be and weigh and Chrono it. I would guess 1,600-1,800 fps from a rifle.

That is pretty zippy for 225 grains. I picked up a box the other day and we'll see.
It's going in a #1 rifle. I'm pretty sure there's not much of anything you could cram into that case that would hurt it. The FTX shouldn't have a problem. An XTP might come apart at those speeds.

Yeah, I figure the primer is going to be the weak link, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND loads over published maximums. I think I'd rather have the velocity over the weight. I'm looking at the 2010 manual. I check later sources.
Thanks

Yeah, I figure the primer is going to be the weak link, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND loads over published maximums. I think I'd rather have the velocity over the weight. I'm looking at the 2010 manual. I check later sources.
Thanks
Well you did ask for a #1 specific load. If you want standard off the shelf loads why bother? Maybe try to work up the most accurate load possible?