A little help identifying please!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rickkling

Bearcat
Ok guys (and gals!),
A few years ago I purchased a mkII government target.
It has an aftermarket trigger (I now believe to be volquartsen), but other than that it appeared to be stock.
Here it the embarrassing part, when I got it home, I pressed the mag release on the side of the frame (do t get ahead of me yet!). That's when I realized that I had been duped, I had a mkiii frame with a GT barrel. Feeling ashamed, I deemed it "the bastard" and put it in the safe. Months later. Was showing it to a friend and he immediately noticed that the mag release was a 1911 release, not 1911 style, a actual 1911 component. Further examination concludes that it is a mkII frame with many aftermarket Parts and a very nicely installed 1911 mag release that's functions flawlessly.
My question is, who could have done this? I posted this on another forum but got no response. I contacted Clark custom, nothing. Emailed volquartsen, no reply.
Has anyone else ever seen this?
I will post pics if I can figure out how!

Rickkling

Bearcat
Yes, it is a mkII government target upper
And the lower has the mag release on the bottom, but is inactive
I wish I could post pics, because the mag release is not a mkiii release. It is a 1911 complete assembly and installs the same way.
There is a notch in the magazine that came with it. A mkiii will not work.
I have several of all of the generations, which is why I was embarrassed that I didn't catch it!

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
Your model has the slab side barrel, correct?

Ruger did make a small amount of Ruger Mark III Government pistols, but they had the 6 7/8" bull barrels. I saw one for sale on Rimfirecentral years ago and one for sale on Gunbroker a couple years later.

recumbent

Buckeye
Rickkling said:
Went there, but didn't see any instructions.
What am I missing?
In order to post photos first you need an account on a photo hosting website.
Go to imgur or postimage and sign up. Then you upload your photos to their website.
Then you open the photo and copy the link of the photo.
Then you come here and post the link to the photo.

Like this.

https://i.postimg.cc/k5fRm4mn/036.jpg

Rickkling

Bearcat
It's a bull barrel, 6 7/8" marked "government target model" on the right side behind the ejection port
No loaded chamber indicator, so not a mkiii
And there is a notch on the left side of the mag, (presumably filed)for the mag catch.
I just got home, so I'll try to figure out the pic thing and post some.
Thanks all fo the replies!

Rickkling

Bearcat
Here are pics of the game n and the mag release install
Thanks to all for the help getting them
Https://imgur.com/gallery/LAdCtKX

https://imgur.com/gallery/OoZkm26

Dan in MI

Staff member
You have more than one FrankenRuger in your pics. The first pic I saw was a MK-II upper on a MK-I/standard lower.

The mag release install is interesting. I'd like to see a little more.

Rickkling

Bearcat
Yes, sorry, you are right
I put the Barrel on a MkI lower and I now have a paclite barrel on the mkII lower
(Confusing, I know) I should have paid attention to the pic, but I was just happy to have gotten the pics to post.
So, let me be clear, ignore the full gun pic!
The other three are the frame I'm referring too
I'll try to remove the first pic to avoid anymore confusion and thank you for pointing it out.
I have edited the post with pics of the gun as I received it.
Again, sorry for the confusion.

Rickkling

Bearcat
Dan, here are some pics of the release removed, the factory mag release at the base of the magwell and the magazine with the notch

https://imgur.com/gallery/wshY2Bk

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Rickkling said:
Dan, here are some pics of the release removed, the factory mag release at the base of the magwell and the magazine with the notch

https://imgur.com/gallery/wshY2Bk

Looks like somebody tried to adapt a Mark II magazine to fit with the Mark III grip frame latch/release, and failed. Then, they installed the Mark II style magazine latch/release so the altered magazine worked?
If it were me, I'd re-install the Mark III type latch/release, put a Mark III filler block back in to replace the Mark II latch/release, buy a couple of Mark III magazines and shoot the snot out of that pistol. It looks too nice to sit idle.

Rickkling

Bearcat
It's a mkII frame. If you look at the right side, you'll see a 1911 mag release.
On a mkiii, there is only a small portion that pultrudes out of the frame on the right side. They also notched the magazine to catch.
Again, it is definitely a mkII frame that I believe is original to the gun (unfortunate since it's a government target model). But that's what I get for not paying attention when I bought it. I believe that the gun was built to shoot competitively since all f th internals are replaced or modified!