A hidden Gem....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Al James

Hunter
Found this a week or so ago:

That front sight sure does look familiar :D

I fell into one of these years ago [for a great price] and I had to let it go to pay some bills/feed the family. Been kicking myself since. Money is still tight but when I saw this I figured I had to go for it. It will be losing some weight here shortly.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
That appears to be a KMK514, probably produced around the 1992-93 time frame. I have one in my personal collection just like it. Here's a look at mine~

T514_ss.jpg

It is one of my favorite Ruger .22 Automatics to shoot.

R,
Bullseye

Al James

Hunter
Good eye! It was advertised as simply a "MK II" but as soon as I saw that barrel and front sight/base I was allover it.

I let my last KMK514 go and it was a bad mistake. At the time I needed the flow and figured it was good for at least 5 bills on Gunbroker. I think it sold to a forum member/collector here actually. Which made me feel better but it still hurt. I've owned many MKII's over the years and it is honestly the only one that haunts me for letting it go. That is why I am so flipping excited about this one. It has some scratches according to the seller so I am looking forward to actually using it vs it sitting idle as a safe queen.

It should be here on Monday. I'm hoping the rear sight is still there underneath that monstrosity of a mount/scope combo. I'll sell both the scope and the mount and slap a set of Hogue fingergroove grips on it and call it good. I am pretty stoked...if you couldn't tell :oops:

The KMK514 is my all time favorite MKII

Al James

Hunter
No doubt! I was thinking B-Square must stand for BIG and square or BIGsquared. :shock:

I figure I will have to bring allen wrenches with me to my FFL in order to remove it so they can see the SN#. Free at last. Then it will be Gun Broker bound for a little .01 start with no reserve auction action. Along with that Tasco Propoint.

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
Those B-Square mounts were popular in the late 90's-2000's as a no-gunsmithing mount. As I recall back then they sold for $29.95-$39.95 retail, based on the finish. Yours being stainless would have been on the higher end of the price scale. Volquartsen, Clark, and MGW were other brands of Weaver no-gunsmithing mounts that were popular at that time since none of the Ruger .22 production target pistols came from the factory with pre-drilled scope mounts other than the Competition Models. Mine is currently sporting a Weaver Brand mount that attaches to the rear sight via the elevation sight screw hole. I bought the mount, just to try out the then new style mount, before recommending it to any customers. I was pleased enough with the mount's performance to keep it on this pistol.

Like you, I found my KMK one day at a gun show sitting on a table 'used' section with one of the area's larger regular retailers. It was packed full of crud, looked like it had never been cleaned by the former owner. I knew immediately what it was, but played it very low-key with the seller. I picked it up for $225, which was a ridiculously low price at the time - I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough when I asked for his price on the old MK II, and didn't even try to dicker with him. I can't imagine ever parting with it, I like the feel of this little pistol so much. A plus, this one is dammed accurate for a production gun. I have shot it in many local Bullseye competitions. It hangs in there, accuarcy-wise, with some of my more high-dollar match target pistols. I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment out of your new/used KMK too.

R,
Bullseye

9x19

Hunter
Nice score...

I prefer the 22/45 to the Mark IIs, but I like the 5 1/4" heavy tapered barrels.

RugerKP514l_zps024d0386.jpg

Al James

Hunter
9x19 said:
Nice score...

I prefer the 22/45 to the Mark IIs, but I like the 5 1/4" heavy tapered barrels.

I would like to find one of those too. I missed one on Gunbroker about 6 months ago. I was waiting till the last 15 minutes to place a bid and ended up missing it. HATE when that happens :x

Al James said:
It was advertised as simply a "MK II" but as soon as I saw that barrel and front sight/base I was allover it.

I'm hoping the rear sight is still there underneath that monstrosity of a mount/scope combo.

This forum cracks me up... it has once again proved that great minds think alike! (I saw that front sight, too.:p)

At the risk of being the bearer of bad news, I don't think the rear sight is hidden under there. I called the shop while it was still up for auction. According to the guy I talked to, the rear sight is missing. :(

I'd gladly be proven wrong, if it means you've got a rear sight hiding in there! 8)

I'm very fortunate, as I already own two of the KMK514 models. One I paid "good money" for, NIB from a RugerForum member. It remains NIB.

I picked up the other one at a local live auction, about a month ago. Very clean, but no box. No one else there seemed to know what it was, and I slipped out with it for $350.

Al James

Hunter
Bummer. Well looks like I will have to call Ruger and try and order a sight for it. Because I dont even think I'll allow it in the house with that scope/mount on there. Thanks for bursting my bubble Uncle Howie! :lol:

Al James

Hunter
On second thought...if the sight IS missing I think I'll just leave it off. Been thinking about trying out for a part on that show "The Walking Dead" :lol:

Gives a new found meaning and ease to the term "finding the front sight" :shock:

Al James

Hunter
Uncle Howie said:
Al James said:
It was advertised as simply a "MK II" but as soon as I saw that barrel and front sight/base I was allover it.

I'm hoping the rear sight is still there underneath that monstrosity of a mount/scope combo.

This forum cracks me up... it has once again proved that great minds think alike! (I saw that front sight, too.:p)

At the risk of being the bearer of bad news, I don't think the rear sight is hidden under there. I called the shop while it was still up for auction. According to the guy I talked to, the rear sight is missing. :(

I'd gladly be proven wrong, if it means you've got a rear sight hiding in there! 8)

Picked it up yesterday and......The sight IS there! It was hard to see because the through screw for the mount was behind it. Gun cleaned up great and I am really excited to have another KMK514. Now if only I could buy a damn box of 22 shells [for a decent price] I'd go shoot it :cry:

Bullseye57

Single-Sixer
I thought I saw the front sight through the viewing hole immediately in front of the rearmost mounting screw but I wasn't sure it wasn't a shadow from camera lighting. The idea behind those B-Square mounts was they involved no action by the owner except tightening down the mounting screws. They also were designed to be taller in profile to allow the rear sight to nest inside the mount. Bonus for you.

Enjoy your new pistol!

R,
Bullseye

Al James said:
Picked it up yesterday and......The sight IS there! It was hard to see because the through screw for the mount was behind it. Gun cleaned up great and I am really excited to have another KMK514.

That's great news, I'm very happy for you.

Congratulations on your purchase. :mrgreen:

Al James

Hunter
NDIH but just an FYI for anyone that may be interested there is a KMK514 for sale in the classifieds here!

Al James

Hunter
gjgalligan said:
Educate me, what is so special about a KMK514?

Heavy tapered 5 1/4" barrel with target sights. It's just a somewhat hard to find configuration that usually commands a premium. They came as blue and SS in both the MKII and 22/45. They are my personal favorite after owning a few dozen MKII's.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
The first year production run of the 22/45, all were provided with the KMK 514 style upper. Have never seen a "blued" 22/45 with the 5-1/4 Heavy Tapered upper, but if anybody has a picture, I'd sure like to see it.

Mark II pistols had both the stainless steel version and then the blued MK514 version.

Early Mark I pistols were also produced with the 5-1/4 Target style upper with an adjustable rear sight.

Al James

Hunter
I think that you are correct! For some reason I was thinking I remembered a KP514 and a P514. But my trusty google box disagrees.... :oops:

The early MKI was a T514 if I remember right. I never got to involved with the standards or MKI pistols. Years ago I had quite a few but ended up trading out of them to obtain the more "refined" MKII and 22/45 designs. They are neat guns but I like the last shot hold open and adjustable sights. That and at one time I had to have 4 different Ruger 22 auto mags for different genres and models which bothered my OCD. However, If money were no object....

Latest posts