Blackie Collins Knives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigIron6

Single-Sixer
I've started a collection of Blackie Collins Knives (S&W set) and was curious if anyone else collected. They seem pretty hard to come by nowadays, but I really like looking for them. Almost have a complete set now.

Not Blackie, but I have inadvertently "collected" knives from two sources. The first is from a knife smith named Schulps. I have half a dozen and planned on a few more. Sadly he died.

The other is Randall Made Knives. Those knives, with the exception of one, are all carried and used.

Like a safe queen firearm an unused knife's soul slowly dies. Tools are meant to be used not merely collect dust and rust.

I'd rather take a vehicle to a mechanic with a beat up tool chest full of clean but well used tools than one with a pristine chest of shiny new and organized ones.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I've started a collection of Blackie Collins Knives (S&W set) and was curious if anyone else collected. They seem pretty hard to come by nowadays, but I really like looking for them. Almost have a complete set now.
I guess that's some of these, yeah?
IMG_2758.JPG

but then, didn't he do a few or these designs for Gerber?
IMG_5765.JPG

I use to see Blackie at the North Carolina Gun Collector's show in Charlotte, NC. My best friend Ed Cole knew Blackie well and owned several of his knives. Ed carried a very nice Collins fixed blade skinner deer hunting for 15-20 years until his wife gave him a Randall Bird and Trout.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I collected them for a while and have both dealer displays and the engraved collector series. Plus the Texas ranger set of Model 19 and Bowie. And a bunch of individual knives.

Dealer-5-Knife-2.JPG

Dealer-7-Knife-2.JPG

CS-Bowie-1.JPG

CS-Outdoorsman-1.JPG

CS-Survival-1.JPG

CS-Skinner-1.JPG

TR-Knife&Gun-2.JPG

These came out when I was a teenager and I was really drawn to the Survival model, but the Folding Hunter seemed more practical and I couldn't afford both. This is my original folder:

MyFoldingHunter-1.JPG

Brochure-Front.JPG

Brochure-Back.JPG

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I use to see Blackie at the North Carolina Gun Collector's show in Charlotte, NC. My best friend Ed Cole knew Blackie well and owned several of his knives. Ed carried a very nice Collins fixed blade skinner deer hunting for 15-20 years until his wife gave him a Randall Bird and Trout.
THAT makes some sense to me now. I have a Blackie Collin's Thumbolt Neck Knife that I bought from him at a gun show while I was stationed in Charleston SC, and it may have been at a NC show.
I collected them for a while and have both dealer displays and the engraved collector series. Plus the Texas ranger set of Model 19 and Bowie. And a bunch of individual knives.

View attachment 42672

View attachment 42673

View attachment 42674

View attachment 42675

View attachment 42676

View attachment 42677

View attachment 42678

These came out when I was a teenager and I was really drawn to the Survival model, but the Folding Hunter seemed more practical and I couldn't afford both. This is my original folder:

View attachment 42679

View attachment 42680

View attachment 42681
Beautiful collection! I also have an engraved folder as well as the lesser stainless folders from that later period, and some autos by Taylor (I think?)
IMG_3154.JPG

Last edited:

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
My latest acquisition, a gift from a very good friend.
IMG_2335 (1).jpg

IMG_2339 2.jpg

With very few ever made, you'll be lucky to ever see one again.
154CM steel, Titanium frame with Carbon Fiber scales. Designed by
Chris Caracci, Navy Seal Team 1 and 6. Six inches overall, four closed
and five oz. in weight. A good friend for sure.
Dano

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Wow most impressive for sure. Those look like cherished blades for sure. Not as fancy but glad I still own my 66 made Puma Skinner from my youth. Cost was under $30 back then. Guess that was considered serious cash back then though. LOL

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Wow most impressive for sure. Those look like cherished blades for sure. Not as fancy but glad I still own my 66 made Puma Skinner from my youth. Cost was under $30 back then. Guess that was considered serious cash back then though. LOL
Oh heck, we really like Pumas!

As a teenager, I grew up kinda in a "Cutlery Retail Oasis", in Sevierville, TN, just up the road from Gatlinburg where The Acorn was a good sized tourist store that specialized in high end cutlery (think of them as a brick and mortar version of A G Russell or Cutlery Shoppe), and actually saw the humble beginnings of Smoky Mountain Knife Works (SMKW), when they were three or four long displays in the middle of a large Antique Mall, selling Parker's and Rigids and Case.
Ahh, heady stuff for a teen fascinated with all things shooty and stabby! Crying shame, splitting my fascination between soft, curvy girly critters and stabby/shooty stuff, that grocery store clerk gig of my youth just couldn't accommodate BOTH!

Last edited:

Latest posts