a better book for plated bullets?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

erreertt

Single-Sixer
using 115gr 9mm round nose plated bullets(xtreme bullets)
unique powder
cci #500 spp

Load Info:
- Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We do not recommend velocities over 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and only a light taper crimp.
also all the comments on the xtreme site said these were better in their opinion than berrys 115 plated rn

in the lyman 48th book i got yesterday it only has 100gr fmj 1.105"OAL and 115 jacketed HP 1.090"OAL then it goes to high gr rounds ... it does however list unique powder for these two
anyone have any data they can share from their book or suggest a new book i can start looking for that would show 115gr plated round nose bullets would rather not buy a new book but if this one i have is too old i guess i need to

the alliant powder site only shows speer hollow point info

would the jacketed velocities xtreme is talking about mean jacketed HP would that be far off of a round nose bullet

erreertt

Single-Sixer
all the forums and googleing ive been doing people are saying all around 4.7 gr of hp38 but the oal is changing from 1.10 berrys from some people and 1.135 rainer from others

6gun

Hunter
It really don't matter is if the data is for a full metal jacket or a jacketed hollow point long as the data is for the correct bullet weight.
Xtreme calls out for a light crimp so you don't break through the plating with your crimp, powders like Unique can be hard to find data for when using cast lead or plated bullets cause most manuals show jacketed bullets with Unique.

I only use Hodgdon, IMR, or Winchester (all three powders are made by Hodgdon) powders because if I don't have load data in my manuals I can get loading data from their website for cast bullets.

I also find it wiser to look up data for loads before I go out and buy powder to see what powder I need, instead of buying powder first then trying to find data that will work, makes life easier that way.

6gun

Hunter
You are lucky to have found powder it's a problem right now, unique will work it will just be harder to find data for, I'm sure someone here that loads 9mm will be along that will that can help you more than I can, I don't load 9mm or I would have lots of loads to suggestions for you.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
thanks my press dont get here for another day or so i have time. i find unique and bullseye both in lyman 48 but it doesnt show anything for plated bullets so im not sure what oal should be

6gun

Hunter
The oal is the same regardless what kind of bullet you use, my Speer manual shows 1.169 as a max. length, I would also check the length of your factory loads that work well in your gun it should be real close.

Using plated bullets is not a deep thinking project. Use a load that would be suitable for "swaged" lead bullets(like Hornady) and use a taper crimp or light roll crimp. Keep velocities at or under 1000 fps and don't expect super accuracy. If your loads are super accurate, that's a plus. I've loaded many thousands of 9mm plated bullets for practice and plinking at short range(7-25 yards which is normal for 9mm pistols). They seem to work well for steel plates since they "squash" and slide off the plates rather than rebound.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
So I'm guessing my book will explain a taper or roll crimp and how to do them? I bought a lee 1000 9mm setup the last die seats and crimps I know there's a screw for how deep but idk other than that a lee factory crimp die I bought off eBay but I still need a single stage press

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Not sure you mean I need a special die or if I have to tune it different so its not putting it in so far .... first time reloading so I'm still doing a lot of research and it will definitely take a while for me
I'm doing about 2 hours a day of YouTube and forums on first setup on the dies then it will be fine tuning on my press. Figured WWB worked so good in my cpx2 and my lc9 so I was playing around a minute ago with a micrometer the most are 1.154 but some hit as high as1.166 and as low as 1.151

erreertt

Single-Sixer
Also other than what a book says the velocity is around with bullet weight and type and amount of powder I won't really know how fast its shooting is this velocity listed good enough or do I need to buy my own tools to check.velocity

WESHOOT2

Hunter
First think about being safe and making reliable ammo.

Acquire the Lyman Pistol & Revolver #2 or #3 manual, and read the sections on 'process'.

Always (as in "always") wear eye protection.

langenc

Single-Sixer
I was looking for data on Berrys and Alliants powder.

I emailed them and am awaiting (since yesterday) for a response... My question was regarding 38s and Berrys 125 grs.

Do not use a "roll" crimp on cartridges which headspace on the case mouth(almost ALL straight walled rimless cases). Most currently made dies will have the correct type of taper or roll crimp built in according to what is appropriate for general use.
It's quite easy to overcrimp with the plated bullets since they are so soft. Such over crimping may lead to inconsistent ignition or total fail to fire since the case enters the chamber too far and it may damage the plating causing it to peel off in the bore.
Also, a slight increase in case mouth flare will help prevent shaving the plating while seating the bullets.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
langenc said:
I was looking for data on Berrys and Alliants powder.

I emailed them and am awaiting (since yesterday) for a response... My question was regarding 38s and Berrys 125 grs.
Just use the online data. http://www.alliantpowder.com/

You can just use the data for the 125gr GDHP bullet in the 38special case with Rainier bullets because all the velocities are below 1000fps. That is if you have a modern firearm. If you are going to shoot them in a 357mag you can go up to the 38+P without any problems. :D

6gun

Hunter
Looks like your purple gun shot those loads just fine, when powder becomes more available again you can experiment with different powders, I would recommend W231 as being another powder to try I'm sure you would like it.

erreertt

Single-Sixer
6gun said:
Looks like your purple gun shot those loads just fine, when powder becomes more available again you can experiment with different powders, I would recommend W231 as being another powder to try I'm sure you would like it.
Thanks ..lol its an lc9 I bought for my girlfriend, I just bought 2 more lbs of unique just in case it gets too crazy out here but I'll definitely keep an eye out for w231