.480 Starline VS. Hornady Brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sevastopol

Bearcat
Was wondering how the .480 Starline brass compares with Hornady's volume wise. I would like to use Starline brass with Speer's 325 gr. bullet and one of the magnum powders, which are done using Hornady brass in Speer #14. I've never deviated from book load data with any of the magnum pistol ammo, and will be starting to handload .480 as soon as I can get my supplies.
Would it be okay to use Starline brass in place of Hornady brass with Speer's data, starting on the low end, or is there a risk of going too low because of a difference in case capacity? Powders available are H110, LIL'Gun & 2400.

Thank you.

427mach1

Blackhawk
I've used Starline brass for several applications, it works fine and is my favorite brand. I wouldn't worry about it being significantly different than other brass but as you mentioned, start low and work up.

Psb1911

Single-Sixer
I use both in my 480 with 400 grain cast bullets and heavy charges of 2400 with excellent results

Sevastopol

Bearcat
427mach1 said:
I've used Starline brass for several applications, it works fine and is my favorite brand. I wouldn't worry about it being significantly different than other brass but as you mentioned, start low and work up.
Thank you.

Sevastopol

Bearcat
Psb1911 said:
I use data from the Lyman cast bullet handbook.
Of course. I saw "400 grain" and my brain just assumed it was the Speer bullet. My bad.

Thank you.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
I use both brands of brass. I also use my worked up load data for my 3 480's. They do not seem to mind either brand.

Sevastopol

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
I use both brands of brass. I also use my worked up load data for my 3 480's. They do not seem to mind either brand.
Same data using either case. Good to know. Would you mind posting who's data you used (assuming you stayed within their min/max loads)?

Thank you.

contender

Ruger Guru
I use several manuals,, and worked up loads for my first one. Then,, my second & 3rd one were tried with those loads first. They all seem to enjoy the same load. I like Lyman, Hodgdon, Hornady books a lot.

Sevastopol

Bearcat
contender said:
I use several manuals,, and worked up loads for my first one. Then,, my second & 3rd one were tried with those loads first. They all seem to enjoy the same load. I like Lyman, Hodgdon, Hornady books a lot.
I have all three of those. I just got my supplies in, so I'll likely be loading some this weekend.

Thank you.

Latest posts