480 Crimping Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

drt213

Single-Sixer
I'm getting a 9 1/2" SRH 480 and will be reloading for it. The seller has a set of Lee carbide dies with the factory crimp die as well for sale. I have been looking at other die makers for this caliber and would appreciate feedback on using the Lee factory crimp die with the 480...will it make a noticeable difference vs crimping using say the RCBS dies? Additionally, I haven't found any place that sells the Lee factory crimp die for the 480.

Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I own a 480, and I reload for mine as well, and use the RCBS crimp die, you should be fine getting the Lee crimp die. Many folks prefer the Lee factory crimp die vs other types.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I just ordered a set of RCBS carbide dies for my .480 but also ordered the Redding Profile Crimp Die. Don't know if I need it but this die does such a good job crimping for my .454 that I decided to do the same for the .480. However, the Lee Factory Crimp Die has done well for me when loading for my 45/70, .45 ACP and .40 S&W so don't think you'll go wrong with it.
JMHO

drt213

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all that have responded. Sounds like using the additional crimp die adds a step to the reloading process. I'm wondering if I would notice an appreciable performance difference from ammo reloaded using say the RCBS crimp?

bigboredad

Blackhawk
When I bought my .480 the guy also had a brand new set of rcbs dies. Being a hornady guy I would prefer the hornady set and it also comes with a 4th die that is just for crimping. I'm sure rcbs dies crimp just fine I prefer to use the redding profile crimp die. I didn't even know the Lee made a factory crimp die for the .480. I have used the Lee crimp die in a lot of other calibers and it has worked just fine. I like it because it is easy to set up and easy to make sure you have the same crimp as you did the last time you set it up and they claim your brass doesn't have to be trimmed to the same length. I am one that believes that crimping in a seperate is a good idea so my opinion is any of the crimp dies will give you satisfactory results used in a seperate step. YMMV

mikld

Blackhawk
Doesn't make any difference, unless you use lead bullets and/or are a sloppy reloader. If you adjust your dies correctly so each cartridge chambers, an FCD is of no use. Go with a standard roll crimp RCBS, or my choice is a Redding Profile Crimp Die...

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I run the Lee fcd. I like the idea of crimping in a separate step. Easier to control and I run a turret press so I can set everything up and leave it. Real nice thing about the Lee fcd for pistol calibers is it does a secondary sizing after the bullet is seated. Irons out any slight bulge caused by bullet seating. Which is nice with the 480 you get some sticky extraction a little more frequently than most other revolver cartridges. Starting with the brass as small as possible reduces expansion and possible sticking. As for not finding the Lee fcd for the 480 it is a special order and runs about 40 bucks. Currently Lee is not taking any special orders.

drt213

Single-Sixer
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on everything mentioned, I bought the Lee dies from the seller. He told me the factory crimp die was a special order thing when he got it. I have always been and RCBS dies guy to this will be my 1st experience using Lee's. I know folks that use Lee's and like them...I'm sure they will do their job for me.

Thanks again.