45hp in new vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whiskeybravo27

Bearcat
Newbie here,
would it be possible to shoot the 45hp (not acp) ammo in a convertible vaquero with a 45 acp cylinder?
If so this seems like an excellent deal for the range/plinking.
http://www.jgsales.com/45hp-not-45acp-prvi-partizan-185gr,-sjhp-ammo,-1000rd-case.-p-92450.html

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=5141&index=2&mfg=Ruger&mdl=Vaquero&cat=All&type=Revolver%3a+Single+Action&cal=All&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=

pisgah

Buckeye
Seems unlikely, as the description specifically states it is not intended for guns in which the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth -- which would include the single-action .45 ACP Rugers.

jrtrapp1

Bearcat
I would not count on it working in a single action but would certainly work in a double action with moon clips.

whiskeybravo27

Bearcat
Glad I checked here first! I am not familiar with single action guns, I was aware of the double action with moon clips but I was hoping it worked with the Vaquero I am planning to order as well. Thanks for the knowledge!

edlmann

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
Seems unlikely, as the description specifically states it is not intended for guns in which the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth -- which would include the single-action .45 ACP Rugers.
I agree, and I bought a case of .45HP anyway (for my S&W 25).

I had my Blackhawk .45ACP cylinder modified to allow use of .45AR, and it's possible some sort of clip could be adapted to the modified Ruger cylinder:

wP09cUyl.jpg

The cylinder would have to be removed to reload, of course.

Joe S.

Hunter
The acp single actions headspace off the case mouth like an autoloader. But vs an autoloader, you are at a further disadvantage in that you dont have the extractor holding the case rim against the breech face.

That cartridge would drop further into the cylinder, moving the primer further away from the firing pin. Best you could hope for is light strikes. Unless you intend on shooting it straight up in the air. :mrgreen:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Joe S. said:
The acp single actions headspace off the rim like an autoloader.

Not accurate. Neither auto loaders nor Ruger ACP single actions headspace off of the rim - both headspace on the case mouth.

Joe S. said:
That cartridge would drop further into the cylinder, moving the primer further away from the firing pin. Best you could hope for is light strikes.

This part at least is accurate.

Problem is solved though - the OP has been informed .45 HP will not work in the .45acp Ruger Single Actions.