.45 Colt Starline Brass Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I recently bought 100 cases of fresh new .45 Colt brass and decided to do a little reloading. When I started to prime the cases with CCI large pistol primers using my Lee priming tool I was unable to seat the primers without using both hands and a great deal of force. I chamfered out the pockets on five cases and with some force I was able to seat the primers. Has anyone had this kind of problem with Starline?

jbntx

Single-Sixer
I've had the same problem with Starline 44 Magnum brass and Winchester primers.

Srb08

Single-Sixer
I've been using Starline brass for years, never had any problems.
I just received some brass from them, 1,000 ea of .45 Colt, .44 Special and .41 mag.
I'll check some and let you know if I find any issues

Edit:
I did some random checks of the .45C, .44S and .41M brass. I didn't find any problems with the primer pockets being undersized.

Shotter11

Bearcat
No problems here. I just bought 500 rounds of 45 Colt brass a couple months ago. I've been through about 400 of it and all is good. This is the first Starline brass I've used. Sorry about the bad luck.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Most of my brass is starline and never an issue with it. I shoot .45 Colt for Cas and
Have loaded all the major brands of primers into starline .45 Colt cases. Some brands seat a little harder than others but none are overly dificult to seat.
Lee hand primer seaters do not have the best leverage and after snapping the handles off of two of them many years ago I bought an RCBS hand priming tool that has served me well for about the last 20 years and is still going strong. I understand that has redesigned the hand primer they sell years ago due to handles snapping off. I threw mine in the trash. It was potmetal trash!!!

Try Fed. primers. I've had trouble with CCI seating right. Dillon told me the 550 doesn't like CCI primers. They can be stubborn at times but I use a lot of them.
A call to Starline might help.
Eric

veeman

Single-Sixer
I had the same trouble with 41 mag cases. After the 1st firing, no trouble at all.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a bunch of Starline .327 brass and noticed that they are a tiny bit short in length, but have not had a problem with primers and I use whatever brand primer I happen to have on hand.

veeman

Single-Sixer
Pistolero said:
veeman,
How were you able to finally seat the primers the first time?

I used my Lee Ergo hand primer. This hand primer will stand a lot more umph than the older model.
True be told I hate the new model of hand primers, the extra shelf is a PITA! BUT,, its stronger than the older auto primer, so I keep it just for this type of situation.

veeman said:
Pistolero said:
veeman,
How were you able to finally seat the primers the first time?

I used my Lee Ergo hand primer. This hand primer will stand a lot more umph than the older model.
True be told I hate the new model of hand primers, the extra shelf is a PITA! BUT,, its stronger than the older auto primer, so I keep it just for this type of situation.
Thanks for the info, I use the newer model Lee hand primer but I am not a fan of Lee hand primers. I may invest in an RCBS auto primer. I have read some good reviews about it.

I've also never had an issues with Starline brass - it is my preferred brand for all the calibers/cartridges I reload when I can get it.
I am sure that if there is a quality issue, they will do right by you.
Anytime I get started with new brass, I make sure to give a quick twist with the primer pocket cleaner just in case there might be a bit of metal or a burr in the primer pocket.
I also use RCBS priming tools which are pretty sturdy and offer good mechanical advantage & feedback/feel for how much seating force is applied.