.45 Colt loads using BE-86 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Anyone use this fairly new powder? I have one load showing 300 gr. Cast FP bullet with 7.3 gr. of BE 86
giving 870 FPS,shown in Alliant load book. Doesn't mention what barrel length and is a MAX load for standard pressure Colt guns.
Supposed to be an improved Unique...cleaner burning.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I loaded 6.2 grs. behind a 240 gr. SWC in 44 Special. Estimated MV at 850. Clean burner and as accurate as all my plinker loads. Not sure about being an "improved Unique" as grains of powder more similar to BullsEye.

8emem

Bearcat
Alliant says (more or less "off-the-record") that BE-86 is basically Power Pistol with a flash suppressant, which makes it burn a little faster, with a burn rate between Unique and Power Pistol. There is plenty of data on Alliant's website. I'm going to get some as soon as I can find an 8-lb jug.

Rclark

Hunter
Haven't used/seen any yet. Here is a link to the highroad on the powder. Lots of info and comments on the powder.... Sounds like close to Unique. I would like to now test it too. Post #2 is right from Alliant.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760289

Mus408 said:
Anyone use this fairly new powder? I have one load showing 300 gr. Cast FP bullet with 7.3 gr. of BE 86
giving 870 FPS,shown in Alliant load book. Doesn't mention what barrel length and is a MAX load for standard pressure Colt guns.
Supposed to be an improved Unique...cleaner burning.

One the Alliant web site it shows a 5.5 inch Bbl was used along with Federal Standard Large Pistol Primers