.45 Colt Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Considering using the Blackhawk for mulie hunting, just ordered the Weaver mount but am undecided about Dot or Scope. Hunt deep timber, range 50 to 100yds max. Any ideas from you handgun hunters? It is the convertable .45/.45acp.

bronco45

Single-Sixer
Ny 02 cents worth would be the dot. I don't like scopes on handguns as they create balance issues and I find them unweildy if not shooting from a rest.

If it's as dark in your dark timber as it is in ours the dot "glows" and that would be a great assist for quick accurate shots.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
yep, the dark timber is dark dark stuff, I love it. Fun looking for antlers or a leg amoungst the timber. I'm thinking the dot is the way to go too. thanks.

Tellico

Buckeye
The dot in variable color would be my choice for hunting. Some have up to five reticle choices now. Scope for target shooting. IMHO

s4s4u

Hunter
Any handgun I feel the need to employ quickly wears a dot of some sort, but I do have scopes on a couple for longer range stuff. It is tuff to beat an UltraDot for durability and value. I would recommend a 30mm tube rather than 1" if possible. The various reflex sights work nicely as well and carry neatly.

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
ftlupton said:
That's my next decision, tube or reflex, leaning toward reflex.

I've found the reflex sights are harder to find the dot quickly, compared to a tube style.
The reflex sights, except for the EOTech, are a little delicate & prone to breakage.
The tube sights seem to present a cleaner image of the dot if you have older eyes.

Having tried both, I greatly prefer the tube style sights. My favorite is the Burris Speeddot 135.

Jack

s4s4u

Hunter
I've found the reflex sights are harder to find the dot quickly, compared to a tube style.

They do take some practice, but once you have developed the muscle memory, they are hard to beat for ease of packing.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
The reddot scopes are fine until you have to take a longer shot. I normally sight my rig in at 50 yds and would be very comfortable taking a long shot. I don't think you could say that with a 1x dot scope. Here is my rig:

SBHHunter45Colt.jpg

There is nothing unbalanced about this rig. It handles nicely and shoots beautifully!

JHRosier said:
ftlupton said:
That's my next decision, tube or reflex, leaning toward reflex.

The reflex sights, except for the EOTech, are a little delicate & prone to breakage.
The tube sights seem to present a cleaner image of the dot if you have older eyes.

Having tried both, I greatly prefer the tube style sights. My favorite is the Burris Speeddot 135.

Jack

I find the opposite to be true. I prefer reflex type. And as to their delicacy, I give you a 1895 GS with well over a thousand rounds thru it. Other than cleaning and batteries, the only thing I've done is zero it with different ammo.

And, the ammo is everything from blackpowder rounds to Garrett barn burners.

MarlinSlingButtCuff.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
Regrets, haven't hunted in many years. No offense intended, but at handgun ranges, I don't believe I'd use anything more than the sights built into the handgun. In my opinion, a New Model Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk with iron sights should do it in the western forests.

s4s4u

Hunter
Hugh said:
Regrets, haven't hunted in many years. No offense intended, but at handgun ranges, I don't believe I'd use anything more than the sights built into the handgun. In my opinion, a New Model Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk with iron sights should do it in the western forests.

Those two points of interest can be a bit more difficult to distinguish as you get older. I am limited to optics for the most part anymore as the eyes just don't have it amymore. You young fellers enjoy it while it lasts ;-)

Latest posts