45 Colt 100 yard performance.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varminter22

Single-Sixer
GunHawk said:
But isn't 2 inches at 100 yards with a 7.5 inch barrel pretty good?

IMHO that is incredibly good! Don't think I've ever heard of or seen a handgun group of 2" @ 100 yds.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
varminter22 said:
GunHawk said:
But isn't 2 inches at 100 yards with a 7.5 inch barrel pretty good?

IMHO that is incredibly good! Don't think I've ever heard of or seen a handgun group of 2" @ 100 yds.

To recap, five of the six were within 2" of each other. The sixth was a flier, about 4" away. I think I probably pulled that shot.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
In my opinion, that is still super!

Everyone is familiar with MOA - minute of angle - as we use the term a lot in rifle shooting.

Ross Seyfried once wrote about and coined the term "MOHA" - "minute of handgun angle", meaning one inch per 10 yds. And it makes sense, at least with iron sighted handguns. A 2.5" group at 25 yds is pretty good with a iron sights. Some handguns will do better than that, but many won't.

I don't shoot optical sighted handguns, but I would be tickled to shoot 100 yd groups like yours. Or even 50 yd groups with iron sights.

GIL

Bearcat
Unfortunately I can't post a single word that will help the OP, but I have certainly learned what one of my bad habits is............ Yes, I have been resting the but as well as the barrel. Good reading here!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
varminter22 said:
In my opinion, that is still super!

I don't shoot optical sighted handguns, but I would be tickled to shoot 100 yd groups like yours. Or even 50 yd groups with iron sights.

Yes, I am tickled. I have two loads that shoot well in that gun at 100 yards. A third that is just 'OK' and several that did poorly in contrast to what I expected.
The scope is a Leupold 2x handgun scope that I obtained with purchase of a used XP-100 maybe 15 years ago. I took it off the XP and stored it in a shoe box until this year, when I decided to mount on my Bisley. I'm glad I did!

GIL

Bearcat
Seancass said:
How many groups did you fire with each load? I'd try them more than once before passing judgement. Also can make a big difference to change target style, size, color and range.

Two weeks ago I was shooting with a Hunter at 50 yards shooting at a standard slowfire "25 yard" pistol target and couldn't hit squat. Noticed someone left a bright pink target on the 100 yard line untouched, so I threw three shots at it which landed in 2.5". I'm really starting to think that the brown paper they use in that target is messing with my eyes and alignment.

Since you're happy with the gun and at least one bullet, I'd start by getting as much info as possible about that LaserCast slug. actual diameter? Measure several, look for anomalies and out of round. Weigh 5-10 of them and make sure they all weigh the same. Maybe try another bullet and a different bullet weight.

I'm a little curious as to what your solution ends up being. I know it sucks when you buy the quality bullet(like Laser Cast) and then it doesn't shoot!

My weak azz eyes LOVE neon targets, but I can't get a white tail to stand still long enough in the summer to paint neon targets on them! LOL

I thought about using a paintball gun in the summer with permanent paint to see if that helps. ROFL.

On a serious note though, I came to a sad realization the 1st time I got to put my Burris on a whitetail and realized the neon 2"x2" square bulls eye was not there. The poor little guy was only 35-40yds out, I aimed for the typical rib / lung shot and ended up shooting him in the neck. That was the luckiest 'missed' shot in my life.
I slowly squeezed, hammer dropped, deer stood up on hind legs and fell over dead in his tracks. I thought I had the perfect shot until I couldn't find the bullet hole and then found the huge opening 1/2 way up his neck! I guess I should be thankful for luck, but still beat myself up for the terrible shot! I pulled the Hunter off of target approx. 18-24" to shoot him in the neck. Talk about a terrible shot!!!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I took the gun out to the range this morning. At the rifle range section, we have a group of hanging steel targets at various distances. At 100 yards, there are several heavy steel targets about 10" in diameter and a thinner, gopher shaped target that is about the size of an actual gopher.
I found that with my XTP/H110 load, I could make that gopher swing on almost every shot.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
Yep, EXCELLENT shooting amigo! 8)

Wish I still had eyes like yours must be... :cry:

Actually, Buck, my eyesight is not so hot nowadays; which is the reason that I put a scope on my Bisley. I have developed wet macular degeneration in my right eye, which is the dominant one. This creates an area of distortion in accordance to the area of the retina that is affected. Luckily for me, the distortion is off-center, in the upper right quadrant.
I am also far sighted now, so iron sights are more difficult for me to use. I counter this by shooting with prescription lineless bifocals, tilting my head backwards to get a good view of the sights. Of course, when I can see the sight clearly the target is a blur.
Getting old sucks. But when you consider the alternative, maybe it's not so bad after all.

jrod

Bearcat
Andyo5, I also use Bi-Focals now. You gotta be tough to get old! LOL! For shooting I had my Bi-Focals done upside down; Now I just tilt my head down a little to see my front sight clearly. Works out pretty good.

gman45

Bearcat
The key to cast bullet accuracy is fit. You must fit your bullets to cylinder throats. Bullets do not need to be super hard either. If not fit properly hard cast will usually lead worse. I cast 310 grain bullets testing 15 bhn and push them with H110. My usual 45 Colt loads are HS6 or 4227 for 1000-1100 fps and are cast from 50/50 pure lead/wheel weights with 2% tin. Lube plays a big part also. Most commercial cast bullets contain hard lube that may not work. Try a properly fit cast bullet of 260 grains on top of 20 grains of 4227 and a Fed 150 primer. Very accurate in all my Ruger 45 Colts. Good luck!