.45 birdshead

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1rebel

Bearcat
i have a blued one and am thinking abt trying one of blade tech's kydex belt holster for mine. i think blade tech is the only one who makes a kydex holster for a vaquero

Doxadude

Bearcat
KWYJIBO":32m3wypp said:
Doxadude: That is one B-E-A-utiful gun you've got! I love the grips and the Super hammer. The ONLY thing I don't care for on it is the warning billboard on the barrel, but it's still a beauty.

Many thanks! Yeah... it could lose the billboard to be sure. Can't believe they could fit it all on that short barrel. I did all the work myself. The grips are Patrick Grashorn's moose antler.

for the guys that cc there birdshead what are you using for a holster

I use three different holsters. A simply rugged holster gets the duty most of the time as it is the most comfortable. I made a IWB holster that has 6 .45 cartridge loops on the outer part of the belt loop. I also made a very nice knock off of the Mernickle PS6-SA for it.

rtl

Single-Sixer
I either carry mine Mexican or in a Mernickle:

45SheriffsModelinMernicklePs6SAwith.jpg

bigboredad

Blackhawk
rtl
that's a good looking holster.
I checked out El Paso Saddlery and they have some pretty cool shoulder holsters

bigboredad

Blackhawk
does anyone shoot a heavier than 250-255 regularly out of the birdshead? I have a rcbs 45-270 mold on the way that i bought for my blackhawks. I was wondering if anyone shot anything heavy out of the birdshead?

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I've shot handloads with the RCBS 45-270SAA out of mine. I load them when carrying it in backcountry. I didn't chrono them out of it, but based on 5.5" barrel velocity, they are doing maybe 925-950fps? I would not call them unpleasant, somewhat better than heavy loads in a 4" 44 Mag because of less blast. If you need penetration, they should work.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
VAdoublegunner":ts4yrtee said:
I've shot handloads with the RCBS 45-270SAA out of mine. I load them when carrying it in backcountry. I didn't chrono them out of it, but based on 5.5" barrel velocity, they are doing maybe 925-950fps? I would not call them unpleasant, somewhat better than heavy loads in a 4" 44 Mag because of less blast. If you need penetration, they should work.

+1, I don't make my own bullets but picked up some cast 270 LSWC.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
bigboredad":2bxdidux said:
does anyone shoot a heavier than 250-255 regularly out of the birdshead?

My Birdshead 45 is absolutely my favorite handgun....PERIOD.

While most of my shooting is with "standard" 250gr SWC loads, I have put quite a few rounds of HOT 300gr hardcast bullets through it. I find my Birdshead is more comfortable to shoot with these hot loads than my Blackhawks.