.45 ACP loading problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar243

Bearcat
I am loading a speer 230 gr. TMJ RN. After seating the bullet I run the shells thru the taper crimp die. I can turn the bullets in the case and move them in and out slightly. What am I doing wrong? One thing I did do was clean the cases prior to loading in a Lyman case cleaner with media. I haven't had this problem before.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The die sets expander may be wrong. Several things could be wrong. Measure a case after each step to discover just what is happening.
Let us know what you find?

Cholo

Staff member
Good point, Chuck. I just measured my RCBS expander die and it measures .4485. oscar243, what does your expander die measure?

I just measured 5 different brands of .45 ACP bullets and they ran a consistent low of .450 to a consistent high of .452 depending on the brand.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Have to ask, are you new to handloading?
Progressive press?
Sounds like the expander die is set way too deep.
How far does the bullet go into the case when you set it on top?
Should only be about 1/16" or less, just enough to get a start.

6gun

Hunter
Why aint your seating the bullet and crimping at the same time? that's how dies work, if the bullet is loose your not giving it enough crimp, lower the crimping die down a bit give it some more crimp, and raise the bullet seater up the same amount you just lowered the crimp die you don't seat the bullet to deep.

Going to take some practice to get it just right keep trying a be patient you'll get it.

Enigma

Hunter
You're not the first one to have this problem. Some .45 ACP brass is noticeably thinner than others, and can cause this problem with some bullets. Remington brass comes readily to mind. Additional crimp is NOT the answer; you need to increase the neck tension. If all of your brass suffers from this problem, I would suggest either turning the expander plug down .001-.002", or perhaps trying a different set of dies. If it's just one brand of brass, then you can either avoid that brand or try what I mentioned earlier.

Many, many reloaders seat bullets in one step and then crimp in another step. When you think it through, this process really makes more sense than trying to seat and crimp at the same time.

Don't give up! Try changing one thing at a time until you solve your problem.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I always seat and crimp as separate steps. I get more consistent results that way.

Full length resize a case and try to push a bullet into it by hand. If it wont start then the next thing to try will be the expander. The expander should expand the case just enough to make the bullet just start in the case about 1/16". If after expanding you can push the bullet in with your thumb,no amount of crimping will make it a tight fit and the problem is with the expander either oversize or the brass is to soft or to thin.

oscar243

Bearcat
Thanks for all the tips. I've been reloading for 45 years and use a RCBS single stage press. I did mike the bullets at .449-.450. The brass is Remington. I will now concentrate on the dies. Being that the .45 acp headspaces on the rim, I don't crimp or least very little.

6gun

Hunter
why add a step? just means you don't know how to adjust dies well enough to seat and crimp at the same time, my loads are just as consistent doing in one step as yours are that take you guys two steps.

Die sets don't come with the wrong size of expander :roll: unless of coarse you bought a Lee set :lol:

6gun

Hunter
oscar243 said:
Thanks for all the tips. I've been reloading for 45 years and use a RCBS single stage press. I did mike the bullets at .449-.450. The brass is Remington. I will now concentrate on the dies. Being that the .45 acp headspaces on the rim, I don't crimp or least very little.

There's your problem like I say give it some more crimp Remington brass is very soft but will crimp tight and your RCBS expander is the right size I use that brand so I know.

Speer bullets are also always a hair smaller than other brands also which requires adjusting your crimp die if you were using a different brand prier to the Speer billets.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
6gun , I have been loading ammo since 1955. I fully understand how to adjust the dies so they can be crimped and bullet seated at the same time. I even make my own dies from time to time for off sized or unavailable cartridges.
You are a trusting soul if you think that no wrong sized expander plugs are ever made or shipped with die sets..
I have seen .458 expanders in .45 Colt die sets and .451 expanders in .45-70 die sets.

6gun

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
6gun , I have been loading ammo since 1955. I fully understand how to adjust the dies so they can be crimped and bullet seated at the same time. I even make my own dies from time to time for off sized or unavailable cartridges.
You are a trusting soul if you think that no wrong sized expander plugs are ever made or shipped with die sets..
I have seen .458 expanders in .45 Colt die sets and .451 expanders in .45-70 die sets.

Sounds like you have never used Speer bullets then they are a hair smaller than other brands and require more crimp, I don't care what you have been doing since 1955 I'm not going to argue with you when I know I'm right from experience, if the OP does just what I said to do his bullets will tighten up just fine, so go take your meds. and calm down this is not the Gun Control and Other Political Issues forum :roll:

oscar243

Bearcat
Okay. I resized my cases and I can still push the bullet in freely. I'm changing the load to a lead bullet. And will discard the RP brass after these are shot. Thanks everyone for your help!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
6gun said:
why add a step? just means you don't know how to adjust dies well enough to seat and crimp at the same time, my loads are just as consistent doing in one step as yours are that take you guys two steps.

Die sets don't come with the wrong size of expander :roll: unless of coarse you bought a Lee set :lol:

Hi,

6gun, it's good to see the joy of the holiday season hasn't managed to ruin your normally irascible persona. Do you have to work at it, or are you one of those blessed few who can get out of bed every morning with a bad attitude, no effort required? :roll:

Rick C

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
With pistol I seat & crimp in 2 steps when I'm loading bullets with exposed soft lead. It keeps from flattening the nose of the bullet. And I don't trim any of my pistol brass.
And with rifle I've found bullets with exposed lead noses are worse. It might take a little longer but it makes for a better reload.

6gun

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
6gun said:

Hi,

6gun, it's good to see the joy of the holiday season hasn't managed to ruin your normally irascible persona. Do you have to work at it, or are you one of those blessed few who can get out of bed every morning with a bad attitude, no effort required? :roll:

Rick C

Nor have the holidays managed to ruin your irascibly unchristian behavior as you judge others just for not agreeing with you or going along with your herd mentality, you don't exactly ever have a friendly attitude as you go into your high and mighty act of putting others down.

I am really surprised you didn't write one of your full page essays to respond like you normally do using lots of words that say nothing. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.