.45-70 Unique loads?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MADISON

Single-Sixer
That is rediculas!
Pushing a 300 to 500 grain bullet out of a rifle barrel with 11.0 grains of
UNIQUE. I think the round will/would be stuck in the barrel.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I used to use 14 grains with commercial cast 405 grain in my Marlin and also used it in a Browning falling block. Shot well, but was more consistent if you raised the muzzle up a bit before each shot to settle the powder down near the primer.

I used Unique for cast bullet loads in 30-30 but don't remember the load. If you don't find some, I can look some up from my card file. I had 170 grain flat nose bullets and I had loaded some for the son of my boss to practice with when he was about 16 as they were low recoil. They came back after the weekend and I asked how it went. He said they were out shooting it and got a deer. I told him the loads were light lead loads and not intended for shooting deer. He said his son did not know that and neither did the deer. The bullet went all the way through and the deer dropped on the spot. They are small here in FL., but don't underestimate a long lead bullet if you put it where it goes. It will penetrate.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
louiethelump said:
He said his son did not know that and neither did the deer. The bullet went all the way through and the deer dropped on the spot. They are small here in FL., but don't underestimate a long lead bullet if you put it where it goes. It will penetrate.
:D :D

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Some good advice here from a few years back. With the ammo shortages on some of us may be casting bullets and using pistol powders in our straight wall cases again.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I warned my neighbor when he had to put a cow down to be SURE which way the bullet would go....he says it's like lighting and puts them out of misery instantly...nuff said....

Paul B

Hunter
Years back I ran into a young couple out in the desert. They were shooting factory 300 gr. ammo in an 1873 Springfield carbine replica. The guy had no problem but it lady said it hurt too much. I told them I could make up a load that she could shoot without pain so they followed me home. I use en rounds of their brass and loaded 10. gr. of Unique with a one grain tuft of Dacron and the Lyman #457191 bullet. I told them to try those out for her and if she liked them I'd load up all the empties for her. They came back wanted me to do the loads. When he asked me how much I said it's a gift. I never saw them again as I was transferred from Nevada to Tucson a couple weeks later. Dang it! That was back around July 1979. FWIW, I'd shot those loads myself in a Ruger #3 I had back then. A lot more pleasant than some of the 500 gr. cast bullet loads I shot on occasion.
Paul B.

Johnnu2

Hunter
TRAIL BOSS........

It fills the case and will make you a happy person.......

J.