Checking shank depth to set the barrel gap:

44Special95.jpg

The final gap came in just under 0.002"

Lee Martin

Hunter
…and the highlight of the project so far is the grips arrived:

44Special90.jpg

44Special89.jpg

Claro walnut, matte finish, right-side blind, with flat bottoms. They're made by Cary Chapman and I couldn't be more pleased with how they turned out.

Well, that's all for now. The frame and ejector housing are going out for hard-chroming this week (brushed satin, not matte).

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
This thread is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post all the photos and info. I'm salivating for more!

dougader

Hunter
2ndamd":38k09vc1 said:
This might be the most interesting thread I have read here!
Great job Lee!!!!
Thanks for sharing!

Ditto. I find it incredibly interesting, and love to see the process of a true artisan.

Lee Martin

Hunter
REP1954":125i4pye said:
Hey Lee any reason you didnt change or remove the 357 Cal. from the frame?

Since I don't do this as a business, I never bother to change the inscription. I actually have an engraving machine that'll replicate factory lettering.....maybe I'll start on my next conversion.

Kevin Keith

Bearcat
Lee Martin":2s5n5u9m said:
ChuckS1":2s5n5u9m said:
So Lee, after you get yours done, how much to do mine?

Thanks guys. Never considering doing it as a business. For one, I don't have an FFL. Secondly, there're a lot of great pistolsmiths already out there (Clements, Linebaugh, Bowen, Harton, Stroh, etc). It's hard to compete with established names.

Lee, I'll bet they're very happy you feel that way!

Simply facinating thread. You are a very talented young man and I am proud to be on this board and your own Single Actions with you! Keep it up! :)

MK111

Bearcat
Hard chrome is the only way to go. Years ago I had a blued Bisley cut down to 5.5" and the gunsmith electoral nicheled it. Boy did it look pretty. Then I shot the first round and all the finish pealed off. So he thought just a bad plating job. It pealed off again. Then he found out you can't electral plate a Ruger. So sent it off to be hard chrome. Never a problem after that.