44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
ChuckS1":3h0r6u3q said:
So Lee, after you get yours done, how much to do mine?

Thanks guys. Never considered doing it as a business. For one, I don't have an FFL. Secondly, there're a lot of great pistolsmiths already out there (Clements, Linebaugh, Bowen, Harton, Stroh, etc). It's hard to compete with established names.

Lee Martin

Hunter
More updates….

Chambering the cylinder:

44Special56.jpg

Depth stop:

44Special57.jpg

COR

Blackhawk
MODERATORS...This should be a sticky!

Thanks Lee, I have no practical knowledge of these kind of things. Your posts are better than any book. Thanks for taking your time and giving us a behind the scenes look. Much appreciated!

Curt

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Lee,
Have you ever done long flutes, like some of the gen I Colts had? I've always thought those were the bee's knee's.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I love it a true work of art. If I had the equipment and knowhow to work it I would never buy a gun again. This way you could build it exactly like you wanted in every detail. Awesome work.

az6gun

Bearcat
Thanks Lee, I know you put a lot of time into this post. I know it gives me a better insight of how things are done along with the time envolved. Makes it a little easier to lay out that cash for those conversions.

Thx, az6gun

Greebe

Single-Sixer
This is awesome Lee.

I have a metal lathe and love to see how things are produced like this. I am getting proficient, but I am still learning how do do things right.

Thanks for posting this info and pic's. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Greebe

Lee Martin

Hunter
I finally heat-treated the cylinder this afternoon:

44Special73.jpg

44Special74.jpg

44Special75.jpg

44Special76.jpg

17-4 is held at 975 F for four hours then air-cooled. Rockwelled @ 41 so it came out just right. The next step is to hone the basepin hole and throats. Length wise shrinkage came it at 0.0002", so there's virtually no impact to fit.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com