44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
EXTREMELY impressive. Very educational for us to see what is involved in the making of a custom build. Thank you, Lee. Looking forward to your next steps.
I agree that this should, in time, be a sticky as so many of us have no idea what must take place. A master with his tools is a joy to behold.
Sonnytoo

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Lee,
I know this is your hobby and you have a real job, but I am having withdrawals from no recent posts on this thread!! Just kiddin... but seriously...LOL.

Joe

Lee Martin

Hunter
I finally got down to my dad's shop and worked some more on my 44 cylinder. Sorry this project is going so slow, but I'm been pretty busy of late. Anyways, here are some more progress photos:

Bridgeport #2 with Hartford Super Spacer is used to bore the cylinder:

44Special43.jpg

44Special45.jpg

Lee Martin

Hunter
Now my 44 reamer is set-up for rifle (pilot = 0.421"). As such, the throats are reamed to 0.421":

44Special53.jpg

44Special54.jpg

Next update will involve flipping the cylinder over and reaming the chambers. Final throats will be reamed to 0.428" then honed to 0.430". Stay tuned….more to come

olyinaz

Bearcat
THANKS for the great series of photos and explanations! Serously, this is just fantastic and it really made my day to come across it.

Best,
Oly

Aeroscout9

Single-Sixer
Ahhhh... Thanks for the fix Lee. Im good for another few weeks. What a blessing to have all those wonderful tools and to know how to use them.

Joe

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Lee Martin":3gjb59oa said:
Now my 44 reamer is set-up for rifle (pilot = 0.421"). As such, the throats are reamed to 0.421":

Next update will involve flipping the cylinder over and reaming the chambers. Final throats will be reamed to 0.428" then honed to 0.430". Stay tuned….more to come

First off, thanks for the Excellent post. Second, Keep'em coming, We are all taking notes!

DGW1949

Hunter
Sooo....Exactly how did you determine the offset distance of the ratchet-tooth from the bolt-stop cut?

Do you happen to remember the part number (or tooling spec) for that particular wheel cutter?

What hardness do you like to see after the heat-treat is done? And would that number apply to 4140 steel as well?

As you can probably guess, some of this is a bit over my head...but still, it has got me to thinking.

Thanks.
DGW

Lee Martin

Hunter
I harden all of my cylinders to Rockwell 40 - 41 (4140, 416, and 17-4)

Trying to outline the indexing in a forum thread isn't something I want to attempt. This was intended to be a photo essay....not a complete "how to".

DGW1949

Hunter
Lee Martin":1zucd5yi said:
I harden all of my cylinders to Rockwell 40 - 41 (4140, 416, and 17-4)

Trying to outline the indexing in a forum thread is something I want to attempt. This was intended to be a photo essay....not a complete "how to".

Yeah, I guess that would be tuff to do.
Thanks for the thread though....and BTW, them's some very good photos!

DGW

Roper

Bearcat
Lee, I just wanted to jump in here and say thanks for taking the time to share this process with us. To say it's been interesting is an understatement. I can't wait to see the rest of the process.

Latest posts