44 Special Project

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
The front of the cylinder is faced and the base-pin boss is cut to final dimensions:

44Special37.jpg

rhatimi

Bearcat
very entertaining!!!!!!! Now I know who to ask when I want a custom built revolver. Nice work and good luck.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I hope you didn't buy all that equipment just for this project. BTW, is this your first gunsmithing? If so I'm glad you started with something easy. :shock:

Lee Martin

Hunter
My dad has been into machine tools since the 1960s, so we've slow grown the shop.

As for the conversion, we've been doing Ruger cylinders since the late 1980s. I'll have to check the exact number, but we're way over 150 to date.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
This thread shows all the work involved in a "Custom" gun project!!!

Helps explain the cost of such a gun!!! makes you appreciate just how
labor intensive the project is!!!
Thanks Lee I look forward to following the project along :)
Terry

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Lee Martin":1tb6rlzi said:
My dad has been into machine tools since the 1960s, so we've slow grown the shop.

As for the conversion, we've been doing Ruger cylinders since the late 1980s. I'll have to check the exact number, but we're way over 150 to date.

Of course, I was just joking Lee. I think we're all pretty impressed! Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I've got a leatherman, a hand-drill and some files that I may use on a similar project.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
Wow! That's a pretty sofisticated machine shop for a "hobbiest" We should all be so lucky. Would just reboring the stock cylinder, be strong enough for this conversion, or would it be 'Marginal'?(just thinking of a less costly job.) Do you countersink the chambers on your guns? What would be the retail cost of this job, just as you're doing it now?
Thanks,
Earl.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Earl....I could've rebored the original, but built a new one for two reasons:

1) I wanted stainless since the gun will eventually be hard chromed
2) I can hold tighter tolerances than the factory cylinder