40 Cal Recommendations Please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

soldernut

Single-Sixer
flyers76,

Thanks for your reply. I shot a friend's H&K USP 40, and I liked it a lot. One problem, it's above my pay grade.

For better or worse, I have to postpone my purchase of anything. Maybe, by the time I do, Ruger will have a 40 cal version of the SR9 - which could be interesting.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
soldernut":3g6lh2q7 said:
Question: My old Model 39, and a friend's 59 were both very accurate shooters. But they were both picky as hell about the ammo they'd eat. I hope the 4040 is better in that department. Thoughts about that?

Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on this, I had mouth surgery and wasn't thinking about anything much constructive for about a week.

When I bought the 4040PD I purchased 250 rounds of Fiocchi Extrema XTP 155 gr. which use the Hornady XTP JHP bullet and have nickel plated cases. I fired the first 150 rounds or so and everything was perfect, so I decided to stick with it as my carry ammo. My 4040PD was purchased used and the feed ramp is very bright, and rest of the gun is in excellent shape. I haven't fired anything else through the gun after making sure that the initial ammo. worked well. I haven't fired as many rounds through the 4040PD as my SR9 and haven't tried other ammo. Once I was sure the Fiocchi worked well, I was satisfied.

I do want to try other ammo. on with gun but right now I'm saving money. The approx. 150. successful rounds on the used gun told me that everything was working well and got me familarized enough with it for what I needed.

YMMV obviously and I'm no expert on ammunition through 3rd Gen. S&Ws, but the Fiocchi Extrema XTP was/is good ammunition in my experience so far.

Hope that helps!

aWoods

Single-Sixer
Interesting caliber discussion here.

I was about to pick up a .40 a while back, and decided to hop on down to the range and rent a bunch of them.

It was an interesting experience to say the least. I eventually decided that I'd rather be good with 9mm instead of passable with .40. Due to ammo costs and ease of use, I believe this was my choice.

Now if I were a cop, I'd carry .40 or .45 (probably .40 for penetration since cops get into firefights around cars at a higher %). I wouldn't be so worried about proficiency because, heck cops get bonuses for proficiency, and I believe tax write offs for business expenses (ammo) so I think I could afford lots of practice.

As a civilian, my priorities are different. Modern defense rounds tend to be excellent in any caliber, and 9mm is no exception.

96-EJ6

Bearcat
Anyone have any opnions on the new Taurus PT 740 slim? I had a chance to handle a PT 709 slim (same thing just in 9mm rather than .40) last weekend and it feels nice.

Interesting discussion about the push of a .45 vs the snap of a .40. I find the recoil of my P97 surprisingly low, and very easy to recover from and reaquire (sp?) the target. I have yet to shoot a .40, so I can't comment on that.

96-EJ6

Bearcat
So I sealed the deal today, my brand new Taurus PT 740SS is on order and should be in early this week. :D I'll report back with a review once I've got some rounds through it.

PointNshoot

Bearcat
740 Slim is about the only "Taurus" id even look at in Semi Auto....
I hear that particular model is made in the USA too but thats not confirmed
but that price range and style gun I would have looked at the Kahr CW40 instead.....

I wish Ruger would make an SR40 ,I drop coin fast for an SR40c....

Tweety Bird

Single-Sixer
I have 3 .40s; the S&W Sigma, the Springfield XD Subcompact and the Ruger P944. Of the 3, the Ruger kicks the least for my wife (hers are all 9mm guns). I'm sure that's because it's an all-metal gun (it's my nightstand piece so I don't care about its weight). But it's been perfectly reliable and has most of the features you're looking for; exposed hammer, DA/SA capable, and the hammer bar safety and de-cocker.

But if it's really important, note that the sights aren't adjustable for elevation.

Tx944

Bearcat
Hi,
I've been lurking and reading to see which way it ended up going.
The 40 S&W is every bit as accurate a bullet as the 9mm and the 45ACP.
If it wasn't don't you think the FBI, CIA and all the other Govt. agencies and police Departments would know that by now.
They would have found that out after the 6 million rounds that were tested after Ruger and Smith and Wesson were contracted to find a replacement for their 9MM and 45ACP's.
They told the firearms makers that the 45's were too big for some agents and the 9's weren't stopping some determined assailants.
So after much testing here came the 40S&W in 1990.
If you don't believe it, look it up in Wikipedia.
This all took place after the 1986 fiasco in miami.
I use to love the 45, and now i'm loving it's little brother the 40.
Interesting fact, the 45ACP is 11.5X 23mm and the 40 is 10X22mm.
Thats why I call the 40 the little brother.
check the facts.
and as far as a reliable 40 shooter, you can't go wrong with the American made P944.
Have a Great Holiday.
Remember a soldier gave you the freedom to enjoy it.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Tx944 & All:

It did end up. And I'll tell you about it.

Before I bought anything, there was one pistol I was determined to see: The CZ 75B. I'd read much about it, but it took me a while to find the local store that carried CZ. I'm glad I found that store because they had everything else in stock, too: Ruger, S&W, Sig, H&K, Kahr, Beretta, Glock, Springfield XD, and some I'm probably forgetting, plus two showcases full of every 1911 God ever made.

I looked at the CZ first. That's what I'd come to see. And I was seriously impressed with the sleek lines; the way it felt in my hand, the "heft," the trigger, and the immaculate fit and finish. Then I looked at everything else 40 and 45 that was close to my budget. I was carrying $800 cash but looked at guns that cost a bit more than that.

I'd already owned a Ruger, and the P944 and P345 didn't look one bit better than my old (and inaccurate) P-89. The slop between barrel and slide - and between slide and frame - felt just as loose as my P-89; and I mean when locked in battery.

I'd owned S&Ws, too, and the new ones didn't much impress me; neither the inexpensive Sigma, nor the M&P series. Neither trigger felt worth a damn - and I was trying to take into account that I was checking new guns; that triggers do smooth up, some, with use.

The Springfield XD was okay. I certainly like its trigger better than the Glock's. Liked the XD's sights better, too. But it felt top-heavy without a loaded magazine, and I imagine the balance of both it and the Glock would change quite a bit as you emptied a magazine.

The Kahrs were nicely made; no question. But that trigger? Smooth? Sure. Long and heavy? Gawd! I think the DA trigger on my Ruger GP101 is shorter and lighter.

Sig and H&K were next. Not bad. But now we're pushing $900 and their fit and finish didn't come close to the CZ's. Neither did their triggers.

I looked at a small handful of 1911s. They had an "entry level" Rock Island Armory model for $499 that didn't seem bad at all. The RIA trigger was especially a treat. It felt identical to the trigger on a $1,200 Kimber. But all these RIAs were "GI" models with a stubby, integral front sight, and very stubby rear sights. At another store I'd seen a "semi target" RIA in a nice "satin nickel" finish with great sights for $569. But they'd sold it and weren't eager to order another for me.

The one "1911" that blew my mind was a Para Ordinance "LDA." Beautifully finished and with a trigger that is mechanically impossible. PO must have done a deal with the devil to get the laws of physics suspended in the LDA. Best I can tell, it's a combination of the XD's stunt of letting the slide cock the striker and the trigger tensioning it just a tad more before letting go. Only the LDA isn't striker fired. It has a much abbreviated hammer. You can see it, but you'll never get your fingers on it. Unfortunately, it was a hair over my budget, and it was far too compact for any 45 I wanted to use as a range gun. The LDA is one gun, though, that stays on my list of pistols I will buy the moment I find a steal on a good used one - maybe not quite so compact.

I also looked the CZ 45ACP, the model 97B. This, too, is a gorgeously finished pistol, reasonably priced ($699). But it is hella large. It feels bigger and heavier than a full-sized 1911. Too much for my hands, and no chance of every being carried concealed.

As I looked at each gun, I couldn't get that CZ 75B out of my mind. Instead of hanging the slide over the outside of the frame, CZ runs their slides inside rails in the frame. That gives the gun an unusually narrow and smooth profile.

All operations were silky smooth. In battery, everything was tight as a drum. It has the fire controls I like: DA/SA plus a cocked&locked safety. I wouldn't have minded a decocker/safety, like on my P-89 and former S&Ws, but that wasn't available.

The black finish is simply amazing. It looks like a master painter applied a perfect coat of high-quality, satin-black paint. Of course, it isn't paint and its' not bluing either. It's something much tougher.

So I dickered a bit and got it for $550. I'm now in the middle of the California 10-day waiting period so, no, I haven't fired it yet. I pick it up Friday. I'll post a range report after I lovingly break in its barrel.

Oh, speaking of the barrel: It isn't one of those lead-unfriendly polygonal barrels. It uses conventional rifling. Shoot all the lead you want. Which I do for target work.

I did not, though, choose the gun in the vacuum of my own impressions. I spent a lot of time over in the CZ areas of the Internet, learning how others liked their CZ, the problems they've encountered (all minor and easily corrected), the pleasant surprises they've had. One thing you hear a lot: "My CZ was dead on the bull's-eye - first shot out of the box."

In all my research, I learned something that might interest those of you in the Free states. EAA imports the "Witness," a CZ-licensed clone of the 75B made by Tangfolio of Italy. When I told my brother in Florida, he went to a gun store to check out the EAA Witness. He found it, in 10mm, on the store owner's hip.

He reports that the EAA Witness is also beautifully made. And here's the kicker: In plain black, the EAA Witness 10mm is $400 brand new! It's also available in 9mm, 40, and 45 ACP. Alas, no EAAs are on the California roster of approved handguns. Grrrrr.

You might also run into a CZ clone made by Armscorp (of the Philippines), same people that make Rock Island. If you run across one, have a look. It might be a real bargain.

Did I make the best choice? Only time will tell. I bought what I believe is the best 40 - for me. I don't buy a new pistol often. This will be the first in, oh, 18 years? If I regret my choice, I can always resell it, pick something else.

For anybody in the market for a new pistol, I highly recommend you at least give the CZs a close look. Get your paws on one before you write them off. You will be impressed. Want something more compact? The 75B is available in a compact version as well as with a polymer frame - I think. Want more compact? Look at the CZ Rami.

revhigh

Hawkeye
soldernut said:
Did I make the best choice? Only time will tell. I bought what I believe is the best 40 - for me.

For anybody in the market for a new pistol, I highly recommend you at least give the CZs a close look.

Looks like you've discovered what I've been preaching for about 5 years now ... congratulations.

CZ's are spectacular. I would have gone with the 9MM, but I'm glad you got what you wanted !

REV

soldernut

Single-Sixer
I forgot to mention: Re the .40 S&W caliber (and this is not to reignite the eternal caliber wars):

I think it'll be fine. I ran some numbers comparing it to the .45 ACP, and it showed up fine. The 40 can't pitch a 230 gr bullet, fair enough. But when I compared the bullet weights the two have in common, the 40 looks fine.

With a 185 gr bullet (commonly chosen by .45 shooters), the ballistics are about dead even: About 1,040 fps.

With lighter bullets, the 40 generates greater kinetic energy than the .45 ACP due to incresed muzzle velocity. For the same reason, it has to potential to be a flatter shooter - but probably not by much.

The 40 is no 10mm, the "real" 40 cal., but it's a serious improvement over the pistol I have - a 9mm.

Alas, the only 10s available in California are Glocks. If I had had a real choice, I might have gone for a 10mm, like the EAA Witness.

The 10mm looks, to me, like the most versatile "reasonable" pistol cartridge. (When I say reasonable, I mean to exclude the exotics like Desert Eagle, etc.). The 10mm can be down-loaded - as the FBI chose to do during the short period they used it. It can probably be loaded down to 40 cal target levels.

In the middle, it can be loaded virutally the same as the 45 ACP.

At the top end, it can match the ballistics of the .357 Magnum - even approach the performance of the .41 mag.

Please note that I am not denigrating the venerable .45 ACP. The advantage of its greater cross section is incontestible, and it was on my list right up until the moment I made my purchase decision.

I wonder, has anybody toyed with the idea of a "45 Largo?" I mean a .45 ACP with a somewhat longer case. Well executed, we could have a new pistol round with all the advantages of the ACP, plus the potential to achieve .44 Mag performance. I'd love to see something like that in the hands of our soldiers. God bless them; I want them to have every possible advantage. Damn shame the majority of our fighting men are stuck with 9mm hardball.

Mike J

Hunter
Glad to hear you found your pistol soldernut. I'll be looking forward to the range report.

soldernut

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
soldernut said:
Did I make the best choice? Only time will tell. I bought what I believe is the best 40 - for me.

For anybody in the market for a new pistol, I highly recommend you at least give the CZs a close look.

Looks like you've discovered what I've been preaching for about 5 years now ... congratulations.

CZ's are spectacular. I would have gone with the 9MM, but I'm glad you got what you wanted !

REV

Rev,

Thanks. You know, if 9mm had my only option, I might have bought the CZ 75B in 9mm. Modern propellants, and advances in personal defene ammo have raised the 9mm way above its former reputation.

I enjoy shooting 9mm, and I like reloading it, too.

If I like this CZ as much as I think I will, one of its compact brethern may well join my meager collection - in 9mm.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Soldernut !

I think if I'm understanding you, you DID get the CZ75B, but in .40, right ?

REV

soldernut

Single-Sixer
revhigh:

You got it. CZ 75B, .40 Cal.

I hope I like it as much as I think I will...

dondavis3

Bearcat
I would suggest a Sig 229 in .40 S&W if a .40 is what you've decided on.

My Sig 229 is sweet shooter.

I find the .40 to be snappier than a .45 and I like the 9mm best of all.

You might want to do some detailed 9 mm bullet research.

There are some very high performing +P+ defense hollow points that will rival .40 & .45 performance.

Everyone used to po po the .380, not so much any more - there have been fantastic improvements in ammo of all calibers in the past 10 years

IMHO

8)

soldernut

Single-Sixer
dondavis3,

Thanks for the reply. For better or worse, I made my decision, plopped down my money.

I went for a CZ model 75B in 40 cal. That was after looking at Sigs, H&K, and everything else I could lay hands on.

I'm sure your Sig is a great pistol. Several friends that own Sigs are completely satisfied. I've shot them. I like them.

So is a friend's H&K 40. But I was totally smitten by the superior fit and finish of the CZ. You should see just the feed ramp: Right out of the box it's polished like a telescope mirror! Same goes for every other visible aspect of this pistol. It's a work of art. (My opinion, of course)

I must agree with your comments about the 9mm - and even .380. Things sure have changed! If this CZ had not been available in .40, I might have bought the same model in 9mm - even though I wanted a little more performace. And, when I go back for a more compact pistol, there are two CZ 9s that look mighty attractive.

Of course, the improvements to 9mm and 380 aren't limited to those calibers. 40 and 45 can realize similar benefits from newer propellants and bullets.

My present 9mm is kind of a disappointment; an early production Ruger P-89. It is 100% reliable - probably the most reliable autoloader I've ever encountered. But a good shooter would be darned lucky to get ten-inch groups at 25 yards from it. Yes, it is that lame - even from a rest.

Up close (7 yards), sure, the P-89 is good enough for "bidness." But it's also fun to make a good showing at the range, and that pistol never will.

Not to ignite the ever-simmering caliber wars, but I chose the 40 for a number of reasons:

* It's a step up from my 9mm, and I figure FBI and police have at least a little sense.

* It was available in the CZ - perhaps one of the most gorgeous pistols I've ever seen.

* The CZ seemed like a bargain at $550. Other pistols going $800-plus don't even come close in the fit/finish department.

* I'd have bought a 10mm if we had options other than Glock in California. We don't. For those of you in the free states, have a look at the EAA Witness. It's a CZ-licensed Italian pistol (Tangfolio) that my brother in Florida reports is gorgeous. $400 in 10mm!

* The 1911s in my budget couldn't come close to the fit and finish of the CZ. I'd spotted one very nice Rock Island "semi-target" model for $569 locally, but the store that had - and sold it - wasn't eager to order another for me. (No, its finish wasn't as nice as the CZ's, but I kept it in the running becasue it was sa 1911 - and a .45 ACP.

My California-mandated 10-day waiting period is up Friday. Can't wait to get the new CZ out to the range.

I'll definitely report back - good or bad.

revhigh

Hawkeye
soldernut said:
But a good shooter would be darned lucky to get ten-inch groups at 25 yards from it. Yes, it is that lame - even from a rest.

I know exactly what you mean ..... I had a P89 AND a P91 that were about the same as yours .... the P91 was worse.

REV

soldernut

Single-Sixer
Rev,

Thanks for the confirmation. So it isn't just me! (Didn't think it was 'cause my Ruger KGP141 (wheel gun) is a tack driver.

dvenem

Bearcat
my only 45 is my HK45 fits my hand perfect and lets be honest a 45 isn't gonna kill anything deader then a 40. its all how you use it.