4/08 SR9 Recall

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
;) :lol: I live in TX, and my RedSox hat is just fine right now.

we're about 3/4 the way there on 200 posts. I give it til wednesday, someone will spark up an interesting point sometime to be debated til 3 days later.

Josh

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
It has already been mentioned in this thread that the
P-85 also had this recall for the same reasons as this.

I had two at the time, sent one back for the recall
and recieved a free mag also, got her back in under three weeks. Kept the other one as a Safe Queen.

Are we getting close to 200 posts??
:wink: :wink:
Terry

mekender

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1)":39a9xf96 said:
Josh, I have a couple of spare tinfoil hats, so I can let you have one if yours is lost.

;-) ;-) ;-)

can i have the orange one?

Olduke

Bearcat
buckeye49":1s9h2gz4 said:
Bersa45":1s9h2gz4 said:
ok, one more question. Should I put the mag disconnect back in before I send it back. If I don't will they put one in? I'm wondering now if I even should send it in at all :?

I have 2 SR9 pistols (one shiny stainless and one black stainless) and I have removed the mag disconnect safety from both. When I send my pistols back to Ruger, I don't plan on re-installing the disconnect. If the factory re-installs the disconnect, I can always re-re-remove it again, right?

From what I've read....if the mag disconnect is not there and they replace it, they will bill you for the part and labor.... :shock: ...other folks are putting their's back in, just in case...

A

Anonymous

I am very interested to know how many people here - specifically the ones that claim this is no big deal - would be willing to let me hold $500 for several weeks, I will never tell you when I am going to return it, I will ignore your emails, phone calls and VMs...and then I will state after the first month - "oh wait! I have more problems and cannot return your $500...maybe another couple of months...."
Your postings seem to indicate that you would be OK with this. If I could get 30 or 40 of you to go ahead and send me the $500...

AND...if you go for that "deal"...and even before I return your $500 - I will ask you to go ahead and send me another $300... :lol:

kind of puts it all into perspective doesn't it.... :x

jhearne

Buckeye
First off username, how many people here have a SR9 at Ruger right now at this very moment. At the very most I am saying 10.

How many one of which I have seen say they called Ruger, and got through to someone might I add, and told them to go ahead and keep their SR9 for the duration til thiers was fixed. I forget the name but I believe it was during the first 1 or 2 pages of this thread.

Yeah they are going to keep your gun, they won't tell you why? Here's probably why, its a bunch of legal hoopla to keep thier a$$ covered. I am sorry they haven't gotten back to you Ruger is normally very good at doing so. Everytime I called I was able to talk to SOMEONE of importance there. Joe is a very hard guy to get ahold of, sometimes. Most the time he is able to get in touch with you or vice versa. Keep trying it took me a month or so to finally talk to him on the phone.

And no I ain't giving you $500, especially if I paid only $430 for mine. My SR9 is a good one, and I am only sending mine in for the free magazine. They didn't tell us when it would start but once they get yours inhouse it may sit on the table for a few minutes, hours, heck even a day, then they will get to do the whole 30 minute procedure of replacing the fire control assembly. You could bet if I were in charge of the procedure and I had SR9s sitting in repairs, they would be the first ones taken care of, and hell who knows I would probably throw in a bunch of cool $hit just for making you wait so long. No I don't work for Ruger but I know how to keep customers who are pissed and tired of waiting happy, give them cake!

Patience young grasshopper. You'll get yours.

Josh

A

Anonymous

An INFORMED customer...can be a happy customer. An IGNORED customer does not care about anything else afterwards. This is a show-stopper and a basic CS-101 concept.
You have your situation - I have mine. As someone on here states in their signature: YMMV
:)

jhearne

Buckeye
I completely understand Username, I had a bad experience with Nissan when I had an engine replaced, I loved the car, just hated the way I was treated, said if I was ever caught at the track again he would void my warranty....to this day I have NEVER been to a single track in my life. I told him where to shove his statement and went up the food chain of management and got it taken care of....easiest question to ask to someone on the phone to cut out BS, "Can you be fired?", answers yes, "I want to speak to someone above you then.", no commence to griping about the situation. Not the best dignified response but in the way most corporations are ran its the only way to get something done. Most peeons don't have the "clearance" to handle your issue the way you want it anyways.

Josh

A

Anonymous

jhearne:
Difference here is that your car manufacturer / vendor did not conficate your car for a safety recall while you had it in the shop for warranty work.
As in how does this fly:Took your Kia in for an oil change, then they decide to keep it for a few months in order to correct engineering flaws that should have been caught in pilot phase?

Best Regards.

buckeye49

Bearcat
mike7mm08":1i29eyis said:
The new release will work with both the new and old mags. The old mags had some loading issues due to the opening in the mag that the release goes into. The changed the mags so a new release is needed. It is narrower than the old one.

I called this morning about returning my 2 SR9 pistols for the recall - trigger assembly replacement; I asked about the magazine relase issue. They said there is no such issue and no warranty work related to any magazine release. They told me the only work that will be done is the recall work related to the trigger (may fire if dropped wihtout manual thumb safey in safe position).

buckeye49

Bearcat
When I called today about setting up a return request for my 2 Ruger SR9 pistols, I also asked about this: I have removed the mag disconnect from both of my SR9 pistols and I have been told that when I send my pistols in for repair that you (Ruger) will replace the two mag disconnect safeties automatically, and bill me $50 each. Is that correct? Sandy at Ruger said hold on a minute and I will check on that. She checked, came back onto the phone and said that is NOT true. The only thing Ruger will do is repplace the trigger assembly, and will not replace any mag release buttons or mag disconnect safeties. So, after reading that persons comment last night at this "post", stating Ruger would automatically replace the mag disconnect safeties and charge me $50 ea, I made a trip to my loading bench to REPLACE the two mag disconnects in my two SR9 pistols last night before going to bed. Obviously that WAS A WASTED effort since that is not the case at all. I wish people would get their facts stright (rather than going on hearsay) before they make statements on this sight.

Al James

Hunter
Username, I too have sent a SR9 back to Ruger for other issues only to have them announce the recall when the gun was in transit. Email response back from them was quick and they said to expect it in the second half of May. I was over it pretty quickly [Few days] though because these things happen. As far as your hypothetical 500 dollar question? Its not $500 dollars any more you spent it on a product. Its now a gun. If you sold your gun it would be money again. If your still sore about the money youve "invested" look at it this way- first of all for easy math and what the gun is worth its $400 not 5. You will recieve a $40 magazine for your "inconvenience" My slow math tells me that is a %10 refund/return on the $400 value of the gun. If its the only gun you own I am sorry and I would be pissed off too. But if you own others just get to know them again while you wait. As our fellow gun loving friend Obama would say, "dont be bitter" :wink:

buckeye49

Bearcat
I have the original stainless slide SR9 pistol, and more recently also bought a 2nd SR9 only this one has the blackened stainless slide. I was just wondering if anyone else feels that their (shiny) stainless SR9 pistol has extremely sharp serrations in the slide cut there for the purpose of racking the slide (cocking the pistol)? I think when I return that pistol I will ask them to somehow smooth out those extremely sharp and deep curts in the slide. The blackend stainless slide SR9 pistol I have is much smoother and doesn't cut into my skin when I rack the slide. I suppose the black covering filled in the deep cuts a little. Has anybody else gotten "cut" racking the slide on their SR9? Also, have any of you also gotten "cut" by the maual safety when racking the slide? Has anyone else noticed that it seems the barrel (on both of my SR9 pistols) seems to get a lot of circular marks (alsmost looks like cuts in the barrel) after shooting a couuple hundred rounds?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
As far as the magazine catch goes I am going to request they change it even if they charge me. I would assume that it will have to be changed anyways as they are giving a new magazine for your trouble. I doubt they are going to keep the two different styles of magazines in stock. As far as the disconnect goes it is easy to pop in and out. I have learned with ruger don't believe anything they tell you unless it is in writing. The two minutes of time it takes to remove and install the disconnect is worth knowing there is no way I will be charged to replace it.
Buckeye49: As far as us getting our facts straight you need to realize there many sets of facts. If you look back to other SR9 problems different people have gotten different answers and solutions to the same problem. The people who have the problem first get taken care of very well and told the truth. Once the problem becomes widespread the solutions and answers become very minimal unless you go up the ladder.
Ruger has great customer service. But it is very inconsistant. They will always take care of your problems. But how and when is always the question. So I as well as others like to plan for the worst case senario when we send any gun in for service.

buckeye49

Bearcat
mike7mm08":15b81hda said:
As far as the magazine catch goes I am going to request they change it even if they charge me. I would assume that it will have to be changed anyways as they are giving a new magazine for your trouble. I doubt they are going to keep the two different styles of magazines in stock. As far as the disconnect goes it is easy to pop in and out. I have learned with ruger don't believe anything they tell you unless it is in writing. The two minutes of time it takes to remove and install the disconnect is worth knowing there is no way I will be charged to replace it.
Buckeye49: As far as us getting our facts straight you need to realize there many sets of facts. If you look back to other SR9 problems different people have gotten different answers and solutions to the same problem. The people who have the problem first get taken care of very well and told the truth. Once the problem becomes widespread the solutions and answers become very minimal unless you go up the ladder.
Ruger has great customer service. But it is very inconsistant. They will always take care of your problems. But how and when is always the question. So I as well as others like to plan for the worst case senario when we send any gun in for service.

I can appreciate your answer, thank you. As you said, it only took me a few minutes to put the mag disconnect back in both pistols anyway. (Actually, I have removed and reinstalled, and removed them several times). I want to be able to fire the pistol if necessary, with the mag removed, yet, I also like the added safety of the pistol not being capable of firiing with the mag removed. But, I can't have it both ways, so I will likely remove the mag disconnects again, after Ruger repiars the trigger group on both my pistols. By the way, both of my pistols are extremely accurate and I am otherwise very happy with mine.

mekender

Single-Sixer
Username":196u04zx said:
jhearne:
Difference here is that your car manufacturer / vendor did not conficate your car for a safety recall while you had it in the shop for warranty work.
As in how does this fly:Took your Kia in for an oil change, then they decide to keep it for a few months in order to correct engineering flaws that should have been caught in pilot phase?

Best Regards.

you can bet your ass that if you had one of those ford explorers that got recalled for the fire hazard issue they issued a recall on a few years back... and you took it in for an oil change or other work and the recall hit, they would have told you that they had to repair it before they could let you drive it off...

no way a company is going to send a product to you after it has been determined to be dangerously defective...

A

Anonymous

jhearne said
Tell me what exactly is your gripe?? You give the two sites, regarding Made in USA, yet they are infact made in USA, and ask why its so freaking important. They are one of the few still operating in USA, so many jobs shipped over seas, all for 'cheaper' cost to us the consumer yet all the products they shipout we see no change except for bad imports and products.
jhearne
I'll go slow..stay with me here.
You're right Ruger provides that here in the USA right down to the cheaper costs and bad products.

1. The "Gripe"
> Made in America...That part was rhetorical sarcassim. "Made in America" use to carry with it a stamp of quality..Something I take seriously. The fact that Ruger charges money for its customer to beta test a product is shameful. Next time you are out at the gun shop look what the Germans and Austrians are offering. Take a look at their quality. Its much higher and consistent than Rugers.Why? Because they have pride in that stamp that says where and who made it. Ruger does not (anymore).

With the above said. I am a Proud American, and if you carry that stamp "Made in America" you better represent it correctly.

You say something I guess about thier tag about "Best products to offer" or something I don't know you weren't very informative about that gripe. It seems your gripe regards their advertising what would you have it say if you were incharge of keeping your job??
2. Um...yeah that's a little incoherent..I'll take this one slow for you as well.
The Ruger investment castings motto is "No part leaves our plant unless it is the best we can produce. And that means it is the best there is."
I believe that if Ruger firearms practiced this motto they would be in much better shape than they are now with the SR9.

Ruger knows they screwed the pooch with this design and now they are left scrambling to try and rectify it.

:cry:

A

Anonymous

The SR9 is available in Brushed Stainless, Blackened Stainless finishes, OD Green grip frame and New Lemon yellow!
Legendary Ruger Reliability
Ruger firearms are known for rugged and reliable performance in the field - and the New SR9 is no exception, maybe. Made in the USA and designed with the Ruger reputation in mind, the SR9 is dependable, economical, and easy to maintain, not to mention affordable.

This whole issue is wrong. With an exception of a few of the forum members (at least in the SA section) you would love a turd if they put the phoenix on the handle grip inserts and under produced them.
Ruger stock closed at 7.39USD
The market sees it. good luck guys

MOHunter

Bearcat
]The SR9 is available in Brushed Stainless said:
Well this part is right. Ruger will carry on despite the recall. Looks like they have another hot seller with the LCP! They can't make 'em fast enough and comanding a price well over the MSRP. Don't sound like a company in trouble to me. I'm glad they are made in the USA! No gloom and Doom here!

Latest posts