357Max

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jan Gilliland

Bearcat
70742222995__21EC2DB8-C897-426A-8EB5-D36676C57959.jpeg
Just purchased my bucket list Ruger. Blackhawk 357Maximum. It is the cleanest used revolver I have ever seen. I feel Blessed

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

Uhh, I see a problem with that. You see that gun needs to be shipped to me for proper & careful evaluation for,, oh,, maybe 20-30 years to assure it's good for you! :D :D

Seriously,, VERY NICE!!!!!!

Do you handload?
If so, do you cast your own bullets?

If the answer is yes to both,, you need to get the "Bradshaw/Martin" cast bullet mold to match that gun.
David Bradshaw helped Bill Sr. & Bill Jr develop the .357 Maxi. (I have a copy of the G&S magazine where he wrote an extensive, detailed write-up on the (then) new .357 Maximum. A few years back,, David applied his knowledge, as well as working with Lee Martin,, and designed a bullet JUST for the .357 Maxi. I have (2) molds,, and it has become THE bullet I use in my Maxi. It weighs 194 grns (approximately, depending upon alloy,) is then powder coated,, then deep seated, and when the shooter does their part,, an easy 3"-4" grouping at 100 yds.

Also,, our resident Maxi collector likes to track serial numbers of the Maxi's to study the few differences in that model. His handle is "Coogs."

jan Gilliland

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

Uhh, I see a problem with that. You see that gun needs to be shipped to me for proper & careful evaluation for,, oh,, maybe 20-30 years to assure it's good for you! :D :D

Seriously,, VERY NICE!!!!!!

Do you handload?
If so, do you cast your own bullets?

If the answer is yes to both,, you need to get the "Bradshaw/Martin" cast bullet mold to match that gun.
David Bradshaw helped Bill Sr. & Bill Jr develop the .357 Maxi. (I have a copy of the G&S magazine where he wrote an extensive, detailed write-up on the (then) new .357 Maximum. A few years back,, David applied his knowledge, as well as working with Lee Martin,, and designed a bullet JUST for the .357 Maxi. I have (2) molds,, and it has become THE bullet I use in my Maxi. It weighs 194 grns (approximately, depending upon alloy,) is then powder coated,, then deep seated, and when the shooter does their part,, an easy 3"-4" grouping at 100 yds.

Also,, our resident Maxi collector likes to track serial numbers of the Maxi's to study the few differences in that model. His handle is "Coogs."
Sorry, you will need to evaluate by pictures Yes I do reload but do not cast. I ordered Montana Bullet Works 180gr WFN-GC for pig and deer hunting. Probably use IMR 4227. Thanks for the comeback. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
Nice gun. I'm sure it will perform for you with those 180 WFNGC Montana bullets. I don't cast either, but have had good accuracy with the Montana bullets in two Maxis with 4227. I've had even better results with GT Bullets 180 gr HP hard cast and that powder. That bullet will go hunting in a 7 1/2" Maxi with me this Fall.

contender

Ruger Guru
Aww gee,, A fella can hope huh? :D

Seriously,, great snag. And handloading is dern near required for the Maxi since factory stuff is hard to find and expensive.
Your choice of bullets is a good one. And the powder choice,, also excellent. It's the powder of choice for the Bradshaw/Martin bullet and in general, about the best for the Maxi.

If you want to learn a lot about the Maxi's,, visit the single actions forum, by Lee Martin, look for bradshaw,, and his postings. Tons of data & experiences there.

jan Gilliland

Bearcat
Nice gun. I'm sure it will perform for you with those 180 WFNGC Montana bullets. I don't cast either, but have had good accuracy with the Montana bullets in two Maxis with 4227. I've had even better results with GT Bullets 180 gr HP hard cast and that powder. That bullet will go hunting in a 7 1/2" Maxi with me this Fall.
Here's the scoop. I bid one 2 Max's hoping to get one. Well I got the really nice one. I got the other one too😃. It will be here this week. I appreciate all your input and may I ask how many gr. of 4227? I will keep both. Thanks sir

Seminole Wind

Bearcat
Well the only thing better than one Maxi is two Maxis! Congratulations. I assume both are 7 1/2". You may want to consider trading one for a 10 1/2" model. My 10 1/2" is my number one deer revolver. I ended up with 18.5 gr 4227 and a Remington 7 1/2 primer for about 1400 fps in a 7 1/2" gun. Start lower and work up. Good luck.

jan Gilliland

Bearcat
Well the only thing better than one Maxi is two Maxis! Congratulations. I assume both are 7 1/2". You may want to consider trading one for a 10 1/2" model. My 10 1/2" is my number one deer revolver. I ended up with 18.5 gr 4227 and a Remington 7 1/2 primer for about 1400 fps in a 7 1/2" gun. Start lower and work up. Good luck.
I agree on powder gr. I've thought about the long barrel trade. I've had a few Supers with 10-1/2 barrels and did not care for them. Sold one and gave the other to my niece I'll post pictures of the other one when it shows up. 🇺🇸🇺🇸

contender

Ruger Guru
Kudos on getting a pair of them.

As noted,, use your loading manuals,, start low & work up to a load that YOUR gun prefers. It's the safe way to do things, AND,, it lets your gun decide what's best.

When David put forth his design and load data for the Bradshaw/Martin bullet,, he allowed what he found to be the most accurate. Despite this excellent info, being the safety minded guy, and wanting my gun to tell me what it preferred, I started below David's recommendation, and worked up to it and even beyond it. (The manuals allowed more than David's load.) Turned out,, David's load was exactly the best for my gun as well.

And as noted above,, there's a link provided by G2 for you to study.

Topfueler1

Bearcat
Jan she's a beauty! The last time I saw any that nice was at Redding Auctions in Gettysburg , PA two years ago. Two were there and went for $800 a piece. Man I always wanted one. I have a Blackhawk in .357 Mag. 6.5". I do handload for it and many other calibers. I'm wondering if any other revolvers were ever available in .357 Max. It would be nice if Ruger would reintroduce .357 Max. in a single action and double action. Good luck with it and enjoy it!

contender

Ruger Guru
Topfueler1,, you asked; " I'm wondering if any other revolvers were ever available in .357 Max. "

Dan Wesson, Seville, & El Dorado's all come to mind when discussing the .357 Max revolvers.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
There is also the T/C, Magnum Research Lone Eagle, and Dan Wesson 40 and 740 SuperMag,