357 Mag better than 10mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hertervillian

Saluki
Personally I would rather have the 41... 🙂
I thought that too. It came first by several years. Couldn't make it work for my needs. Replaced it with a .327 that covered 80% of actual needs. Finally got a 10mm that covered 80% of my imagined needs.

What I was relateing was that a 10mm was by no means a .41mag, and more comparable to a 357mag. If you like your 357 that's awesome, For a revolver I'm more interested in .327.

Familiarity and ease of reloads brought me to a 10mm. Ten thousand reloads will not bring me to Jerry Micolec levels.
Why would anyone settle for a 41 when there's a 44 available???

I suppose 357sig might have been a better comparison but it's not a popular caliber and it's not as widely accepted as the 10mm especially as an outdoor defense round. The 10mm has developed a solid reputation as an enhanced performance round.

Springer2

Bearcat
We have most all of these: 357 mag, 10 mm, 41 mag, 44 mag and even 327 mag, 357 SM, 375 SM, 460 S&W, etc. It comes down to what you like as functionally they all work. Yes, some do some things better than others but there are usually more opinions from people with limited exposure than owners; like I lost count of how many times I heard the 10mm is way under powered compared to 41 mag, etc. The ammo you use usually means more than the firearm caliber for effectiveness.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
Are you talking about the video in the original post--Post 1?
Thanks for pointing out where the video in this discussion was, so I went to the very first message in this thread and watched the video. I took a snapshot of the ballistics info he presented in his video for both calibers, and like I said earlier, this was a 'rigged' comparison. He used the max power 10mm (725 ft. lbs. of ME) and a mediocre .357 Mag (517 ft. lbs.). The .357 Mag goes all the way up to 907 ft. lbs. (a far cry from the ammo chosen in the test). In addition to that, he compared the 180 gr 10mm bullet to a 142 gr .357, but the norm for the .357 is 158 gr, and there are several 180 gr .357 bullets as well.

So, I contend that this was a setup to make the 10mm look as good as the .357 Mag. Also, notice the kick of the .357 - it is not very much. That is a clear indication the the round was not powerful. This is what is done in a typical caliber comparison, and not just between the 10 mm and the .357 Mag.

Attachments

• SNAG-1466.jpg
    SNAG-1466.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
The main thing I took away from the video was that you will need more rounds of 10mm to stop a large bear because it under penetrates compared to even a mild 357mag. Which is very true.

Before the fan boys start howling, I am a 10mm fan in a defensive handgun. On humans,dogs, cougar, and other thin body varmints. I am also qualified to speak on bears having taken over 30, several over 400 pounds and a couple over 500, with a handgun. The 357 has proven itself superior to me after shooting a few with both.

In fact I am using hp bullets in the 357 now to limit it's penetration so there's less chance of an exit hitting a hound on the bay. It simply kills faster and will break shoulders better. The round nose requirement of an autoloading pistol often causes the bullet to deflect and follow the slope of the skull if being charged head on, failing to penetrate into the brain. Seen it a few times personally. Never heard of it happening to a proper flatnose revolver bullet, (swc or wfn style).

I will state however that I do carry two revolvers following the dogs, a Service Six 4" 357 for reasons stated loaded with MP 358429 hp's on a max charge of #9 and a 5-1/2" BFR 500 Linebaugh loaded with MP 512-525 lg pin hp's on max H-110. The 500 is in my hand when first approaching the bayed fight. That's when you are most likely to face a head on charge. In my experience it's got a 100% one shot stop rate from 6 charges by bears from 468 to 567 pounds. A few were already wounded by poor shooting clients with rifles. Handguns are better stoppers in brush if you can use them, but a 12ga is better yet.

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
funny my 10mm shoots flat point bullets so your point is mute.
What on Earth is this all about??? You can shoot any type of bullet in your own gun, 10mm or otherwise. Do you mean to say that you do not soot any rounds other than a flat point bullet? And how is this related to comparing the 10mm to the .357 Mag?

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
does any of this really matter they will both kill !
This thread is about comparing the 10mm with the .357 Mag, so how does your comment relate? Also, you can kill with a .22 also. Does this mean that the .22 is equal to a 10mm or a .357 Mag?

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
funny my 10mm shoots flat point bullets so your point is mute.
My Delta Elite shoots "flat points" also. However, using a wide flat point lessens the reliability in any autoloader and further reduces it's penetration over a smaller meplat.
Is the 357mag always better than the 10mm? Of course not! However the 10mm doesn't have the penetration potential of the properly loaded 357 when dealing with the bigger animals.

When forced to go into the worse areas of town, I do pack the 10mm more often than the 357. When working around the place here, it's often the 357. Checking bait or if I know there's a sizeable bear passing through the property, it's not going to be either one of those.

Rock185

Bearcat
I enjoyed the video, and don't really have a gripe with it. I've shot and loaded my share of .357 and 10MM. I've had .357 revolvers and carbines, along with 10mm revolvers and semi-autos. To me, the cartridges are in the same performance class. FWIW, I've chronographed Buffalo Bore 180 grain loads in both calibers, neither a wimp load IMHO. The .357 always produced at least slightly more velocity and energy. In fact, the 180 BB .357 is the most powerful factory or handloaded ammo I've ever used in .357. It really does produce the advertised 1400 FPS in my 4" and 5" revolvers. And in one 5.5" revolver the BB .357 180 developed just over 1500 FPS.. I think the .357 and 10mm are both fine cartridges..

I'm going to give Bigbore5 above the win on this for the simple reason he has actually shot a bear and done it more than once. He did throw too many numbers into his answer but still if he's shot 20 bears I think that tops all us "foot pounds and bullet weight" preachers put together.

Latest posts