35 remington or 35 whelen

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zacharoo

Bearcat
I need a primitive rifle here in Louisiana. Most shots are 100 yards or so. I can't make up mind between 35 Remington and 35 whelen. Have lots of 30-06 brass but not sure of recoil. Need some advise on reloads and advise on a CVA single shot. If I go with the 35 whelen it will be a stalker or a 35 Remington with a hunter?????????????????? Which rifle and caliber should I choose???????
Zacharoo

loaded round

Hunter
Just remember if you go with the 35 Whelen you will always have a ready supply of 30-06 cases to neck up, and as far as I know, no new rifles are being chambered for the 35 Rem except the lever actioned Marlin 336. I've shot both calibers and the Whelen will kick a bit more, but you can always load it down a bit. I'd go with the 35 Whelen if it were my choice.

gman45

Bearcat
I have a CVA Scout in 35 Remington. I had brass since I also have a 14" Contender. Decided to save that brass so I ordered some brass from a fella over on castboolits.com. Goes by GRUMPA. He makes this brass from once fired 308's. Very high quality and his price is reasonable. Just giving you an option.

dougader

Hunter
I have the CVA Hunter in 35 Remington and love the little single shot. I got some 200 grain Hornady flextip ammo and it's real accurate. I bought brass from Grumpa on the cast boolits website, and also some once fired brass on gunbroker.

I don't like the style of the Stalker, but do like the looks of the Hunter and Scout rifles made by CVA.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
Not to be a wise guy, but I don't think the .35 Remington qualifies for "primitive" status down here. :)

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Please bring the rest of us up to speed on *Primitive Rifle* , Louisiana style.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
As far as I know we're allowed "caliber wise" 45/70 and 35 Whelen. in cartridges. Muzzle loader in percussion or flintlock.

Paul B

Hunter
.35 Whelen all the way. It's no big deal to download it to .35 Rem. specs, or .358 Win. spec for that matter. I don't hunt deer much anymore but do usually take a run at elk in New Mexico. The Whelen flat out does a number on elk to a lot farther out than some give it credit for. I've taken elk with it from 75 yards to 350 yards. Of course this was with proper handholds just a bit more potent than factory or found in reload data. I run the 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2710 FPS and elk take notice when it hits.
Paul B.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've read this original post many times and still don't have a clue as to what it's about.
Am I the only one?

contender

Ruger Guru
SW,, it's obvious to me that Louisiana has some different hunting rules than other states when it comes to a "primitive" caliber. The OP is looking for opinions as to why use one caliber over the other. Pros & cons of each.

Paul B

Hunter
Yeah, but I'll take the Whelen every time. Give me a Ruger #1S in .35 Whelen with a proper 26" barrel and any game I see out to about 350+ yards is meat in the freezer. With the results I've had on elk, I know a winner when I see it. 8) I guess to really get an answer to your question you'd have to contact the particular Game & Fish Department or whatever they call themselves.
Paul B.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Here is an article. What's legal for Louisiana's primitive-firearms deer season?

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2014/10/whats_legal_for_louisianas_pri.html

quote> During the primitive-arms seasons, hunters may use rifles or pistols of at least .44 caliber or shotguns no larger than 10 gauge, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle or cap and ball cylinder, use black powder or approved substitute only, take a ball or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets, including primitive firearms known as 'in-line' primitive firearms.

Also legal are single-shot, breech-loading rifles of at least .35 caliber having an exposed hammer that uses metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. <end quote

WCM

Bearcat
Hornady now makes the .35 rem brass.
Nosler make the .35 Whelen brass.
Both makes of brass are very good.
I especially like Nosler brass, it is expensive, but some of the best brass I have ever used.

As far as cartridges go, if your shots are close and you are bothered by recoil, go with the .35 Rem.
If recoil is not an issue then I would go with the .35 Whelen.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I noticed those CVA single-shot 'Scout' or 'Hunter' rifles are pretty light at 5.8 pounds. A 'Stalker' weighs 7 pounds. I think a Remington 35 cal. would be plenty unless you are looking for longer than 150 yard shots and want to punish your shoulder. But I don't hunt or shoot either cartridge so what do I know? I do find this stuff interesting though. :D

willk

Blackhawk
Finding a 35 Remington is the real issue here.

Never able to find one and all ready owning an ER Shaw barreled M77 Mark II in the Whelen we purchased one of the heavier barreled versions of the CVA in 35 Whelen. Killed a nice little doe during deer season using the 158 grain pistol bullet starting load that is listed in the Sierra manual. She dropped like a light after the switch was turned off. Later using the starting load in the Speer Manual for their 180 grain flat nose and IMR3031 powder, we got excellent ballistics and still reduced recoil for Brenda Lea.

It's not a .22 but it can be made workable while still able to deliver a lethal blow to deer at reasonable ranges.

As far as Louisiana hunting laws, Blume357 hit it right but it should be noted that since Louisiana and Mississippi have tried to remain in lockstep with the regs, I am told that Louisiana followed Mississippi with these primitive firearm regulations.

Has to be a single shot and has to have an open hammer and has to be .35 caliber or above, otherwise, for breechloading firearms, anything goes.

And the CVA, can't go wrong with them. They shoot great and cost less.

Paul B

Hunter
Simple solution to the CVA being way too light for .35 Whelen. Find a Browning B78 or 1885 High wall in 30-06 0r .270 and have it rebored to .35 caliber. Currently I have a B78 in 30-06 and while I would love to rebore it to .35 Whelen, it's just too damned accurate to mess with. I'll have to see if I can find another one. Like I need an excuse to buy another rifle. :lol:
Paul B.