.32 caliber Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rod,

The 30-1 I was lucky enough to find with the target sights already added, although I had to re-mill the rear sight lower. That's probably why it was for sale. I also re-did the front sight. It came like this:
orig.jpg

Then I added the target hammer, trigger and grips. And then reamed the cylinder.

I do my own gun smithing especially on my Rugers. Reaming single six .32s for the 327 Federal Mag is a piece of cake. My current project is a .32 super single six converted to 218 Bee 'short'.

DukeMinski

Bearcat
RoverSig;
I own a SS 3" SP101 in .327FedMag and I really like it.
However, it has really become my GF's gun.
The smaller frame & Hogue mongrip fits her hand better than my GP100 (SS 4" .357).
Also, with the Wolff 9# main spring in it (the SP101) it is much easier for her to operate.
-DukeMinski

Cherokee Slim

Bearcat
It's a fun caliber to shoot and is easy to load for. I make all the grandkids who shoot cowboy load their own ammo. Including 14 year old Rhinestone Rachel who shoots these beauties in SASS matches.
Cherokee Slim

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Those are rare, far and few between! They need to make those again on the mid-frame Vaq as a 32-20 / 327 Fed Mag. What a package that would be. I think Ruger could sell more of those than the 8 shot large frame Blackhawk that's already been discontinued from lack of sales.

With an extra .32 H&R cylinder for my single six 327 FM above I made it a convertible too. I reamed the extra cyl to a 32-20 'Short'; shortened the cases to 327 FM length. When one reloads, it's easier the shoot modified cartridges than more expensive gun convertions.

foilist

Bearcat
I have the 327 Fed Mag in both the GP100 and the Blackhawk and I like them both. Kinda wished I'd gotten the SP 101 in 327 but I think the LCR would be the best platform for this caliber. You could likely get six cartridges in the cylinder and the force of a 327 is greater than a 38 Special. And as you all know so well, the recoil of a 327 is not bad so it's perfect for a small frame revolver.

32shooter

Blackhawk
As Slim stated, it is a fun caliber to shoot with low recoil and cheap to reload. I have accumulated a few over the years. Still looking for a Bisley fixed sight model.
Bisley Model with Swindler maple gips.

Single Six with a set of stags by Ken Driskill, just picked them up from another forum member.

Buckeye opened up to .327 with grips by Swindler.

Just picked this one up several weeks ago. Grips by Private Shultz. I think I will get a set of Sacks grips for this one and put these back on my SS.

Arokcrwlr

Blackhawk
I'm a late comer to the .32 calibers having picked up this 5-shot 327 SS conversion in the past year as well as a 32H&R bird's head SS. They are a lot of fun to shoot - I wish I had discovered them years ago. Long after I put the big bores down, I suspect that I will always have a .32 close by.

SamV

Buckeye
Dang. You guys are not helping me. I have been wanting a small frame double action .32 for a while. The GP is too big. I wish that they had not discontinued the SP. Smith still has one in their catalog but it is too pricey for me plus it is ported. Why did they feel it needed to be ported? I am sure one will fall into view at the right time and price for me some day.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sam,

Is the Smith chambered in 327 FM? That may be why it's ported or just because the market thinks it's cool.

Any of the Smith pre war .32 'I" frames are very accurate and reasonable to buy. Even those "I" frame pre models 30 amd 31 after 1950 can be picked up reasonably for $250 to $500 (or 500+for an early '50s model in high collectible condition). And after 1961 they are J frames Model 30 (round butt 2") or Model 31 Sq Butt 3 or 4" which have the cylinder length and strength for the 32 H&R if one wanted to lengthen the chamber shoulder.

All fairly numerous since they were very popular then too and all very accurate. The 32 S&W Long cartridge is inherently accurate.

Cherokee Slim

Bearcat
Those Swindler grips really add to the guns. I shoot Birds-head Vaqueros in .45 that might look good with some. Would you mind sending me a link? I've not seen them before.
Cherokee Slim

dougader

Hunter
When the 32 mag came out, I just didn't see the need. About 5 years ago I got on the bandwagon and really like the 32's.

My favorite is this Alan Harton version of the little 32 "Vaquerito."

i-rNN2PGZ-L.jpg

toroflow

Single-Sixer
Here is an S&W model 631 4" .32 H&R mag, about the most handiest J frame S&W I can think of:
6313.jpg

And one of the left side, showing NO lock!! (Ever notice how folks will never photograph the left side of an S&W with a lock??) ;)
631.jpg

RoverSig

Bearcat
Wow! The pictures are great! These are some wonderful .32's... This is a versatile caliber that is a lot of fun to shoot and easy to reload for...

I am thinking -- it I could get my hands on a SP101 in .32 H&R Mag at a reasonable price -- the few SP101's in .327 I see are running close around $900! -- I could maybe order a .327 cylinder from Ruger... or have a good gunsmith ream the cylinder out that last 1/4 inch -- and turn it into a .327...

I loaded some .327 Fed Mag Starline cases the other day with Trail Boss, using 2.7, 3.0, and 3.2 grains, with the Hornady XTP 100 grain HP. Very accurate and mild to shoot in my GP100 in all loadings; but I did have a bullet over 2.7 grains fail to leave the barrel oln about the 100th round (it stuck right at the end of the barrel!). I don't think it was an example of my failing to load the powder -- I check my tray with a flashlight -- and it got pretty far down the barrel. Glad I heard the different sound it made. I will use 2.9 or so as my minimum load in Trail Boss... (I hammered it out with a wooden dowel).

Epishemore

Bearcat
A .32 caliber 100 gr bullet at ~1050 fps is 2 1/2 times more powerful than a 40gr .22 LR at the same velocity. A 250 gr .44-.45 caliber bullet at the same velocity is 2 1/2 more powerful than the .32. The .32 is the perfect mid-point in a handgun.

SamV

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
Sam,

Is the Smith chambered in 327 FM? That may be why it's ported or just because the market thinks it's cool.

Any of the Smith pre war .32 'I" frames are very accurate and reasonable to buy. Even those "I" frame pre models 30 amd 31 after 1950 can be picked up reasonably for $250 to $500 (or 500+for an early '50s model in high collectible condition). And after 1961 they are J frames Model 30 (round butt 2") or Model 31 Sq Butt 3 or 4" which have the cylinder length and strength for the 32 H&R if one wanted to lengthen the chamber shoulder.

All fairly numerous since they were very popular then too and all very accurate. The 32 S&W Long cartridge is inherently accurate.

Yes the Smith 632 is .327 Federal Magnum. It looks like it has a single port past the front sight at the end of the barrel. List is $899

Hondo44

Hawkeye
RoverSig said:
Wow! The pictures are great! These are some wonderful .32's... This is a versatile caliber that is a lot of fun to shoot and easy to reload for...

I am thinking -- it I could get my hands on a SP101 in .32 H&R Mag at a reasonable price -- the few SP101's in .327 I see are running close around $900! -- I could maybe order a .327 cylinder from Ruger... or have a good gunsmith ream the cylinder out that last 1/4 inch -- and turn it into a .327...

Rover, a Clymer reamer from Brownells will cost you less than a cylinder or a gunsmith to do it. So little metal is removed, I ream them manually with a vise and a 'T' handle socket wrench. Keep the reamer well oiled and you can't go wrong. Then you'll have the reamer for the next one or loan it to a friend.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have quite a few .32's. I got the bug when the round first came out and Bob Milek did an article on the H&R revolvers in Guns and Ammo . He hinted at Ruger coming out with the SS at the end. My Dad bought a SBH and got me a SS 6.5" 32. We started reloading for both and now we have around 100 handguns between us and reload for 13 different calibers. Casting bullets has been a hoot as well for all these critters.

My list of .32's
1. Single Six - 6.5" Adj. sights circa 1985
2 &3. Cons. Pair 4-5/8" Fixed sights SS Single Sixes
4. Single Six - 4-5/8" Adj sights - late '80's
5. Buckeye Convertible BH = 6.5" 32-20 & 32 H&R.
6. Bisley Single Six - 6.5"
7. SP101 3" 32 H&R
8. SP101 3" 327 Fed
9. GP100 4" 327
10. BH 5.5" 327
11. Taurus 76 6" 32 H&R
12. S&W 30-1 32Long
13. S&W 632 3" 32H&R
14. S&W 16 - 4" 32H&R

I love 'em all. :wink: I have gotten to having some other oddball & rarer stuff but I still run into people that have'nt seen / don't know about 32 H&R's and 327 Federals. :shock: Their loss... and More for ME!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks,

32Magfan

P.S. A mid-frame convertible in 32-20 / 327 is a No-Brainer. Hello, Lipseys... Are You Listening???