.32 caliber Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RoverSig

Bearcat
An often over-looked caliber is the .32 -- most people look down on the four or five variants as being anemic in terms of power. (Although I'd bet .32's killed a lot of people back in the day, when it was a police caliber and a standard defensive round).

Anyway, it is not very popular today. If you include .327 Fed Mag as a .32, which it really is (.32 rounds really are .312 in a jacketed bullet), Ruger has only one gun, the GP-100 (KGP-4327-7) listed on their web page in this caliber. I have one of these, and it is great. It is a shame Ruger doesn't offer other models, because the .32 H&R Mag (and .327 Feb Mag) seem pretty perfect in a 3" SP101.

I am interested in how people like their SP101s in .32 H&R Mag and .327, and their Single Six's in .32 H&R Mag. Any thoughts on whether Ruger will bring the SP101 back in .32 H&R Mag or .327 Fed Mag?

Ruger photo (GP-100, KGP-4327-7):
GP100-327_zpsfc4977fe.jpg

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I'm a big fan of the .32 H&R Mag. It does have a strong following among some, but isn't nearly as popular as it should be.

Here is one, a recently finished project:

(More pics here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=177001&p=1881050#p1881050)

When the .327 came out, I thought I would have to have one. But am not crazy about it in the larger Blackhawk frame. And frankly, the .32 Mag does about everything I need it to do.

Would I buy a .327 if Ruger made it on the Single Six frame? Probably!

Anyone here have a Single Six .32 converted to .327? Recoil? Comments about the .327 in the Single Six frame? It is a custom possibility, but not inexpensive!

bogus bill

Hunter
I have this single six in .32 H&R mag. While I havent worked with it a lot yet I have reloaded for it and it does seem accurate, flat shooting and low recoil. It does have a sharp bark. I think it makes a neat trail gun and plan on start carrying it more. Some say they think it as good as a .38 special. I cant attest to that, but maybe its so?

jazzman

Single-Sixer
I have a 32 single six, and a blackhawk buckeye in 32, 32-20. In one of my dumber moments I sold my 327 blackhawk and sp101. Always on the look out for more. I have shot my reloads in 32 H&R and am now working up some 32-20 reloads for the Buckeye.

Jim

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I really like this caliber too. I think it makes for a super small game gun. Hunting rabbits with a shotgun isn't much of a challenge for me any more but hunting them with this is. Kind of ups your game.

Jay

gjgalligan

Single-Sixer
I have a 101 in .327 mag, wife has a Charter Arms in .32 H&R mag.
I have been hoping for a LCR in .327 mag but I'm not holding my breath.

smith1961

Blackhawk
32 H&R/.327 Federal and .41 magnum fans like me are looked at as lunatic fringe by some....

The GP100 7-shooter seems like Ruger's idea of consolidating manufacture. Rather than keeping the Blackhawk 8 shooter and SP101 6 shooter, I guess. Although a nice blue 8 shooter Vaquero or blackhawk might have been nice. I guess the sales aren't there!?!?!?
:?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
.327 Fed Mag is a great cartridge! These are two .327 Fed Mags I made by just extending the shoulder in the .32 H&R Mag chambers. Perfect packin' pistols in the single six frame size.

This NM single six also has a convertible .32 H&R Mag cylinder rechambered for 32-20 reloaded in a .10" shortened case (same length as 327 case).

orig.jpg

I converted this old model to center fire, swapped barrel and cylinder for .32 Mag, and also lengthened chamber shoulder for 327 FM.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

I too really enjoy the .327 caliber. Low recoil, but lots of noise at the range so the .45 crowd doesn't push you off to the side.

It is easy to reload and with my limited reloading knowledge there still seems like many different options. I have the 8 shot blackhawk and it is extremely accurate. I also have the .327 SP101. I must have been lucky to find both those guns. In Illinois no less. Anyhow the SP101 is also accurate. I get really decent groups at 25 yards with a 3inch barrel! Incredible! !

But as mentioned the low recoil is the main reason I like the caliber. I'm not a wimp but heavy recoil guns just aren't fun to shoot. Well almost. I like the 45-70 rifles. But that is another topic.

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
I really enjoy these .32 threads.

I have a small stable of .32s and they are by far my most popular caliber. I reload and the powder weights are so small that it is a pleasure. The bullets I use are from Missouri Bullet Company and I have no problems with any of my guns. I say with the .32 H&R Magnum but the same set of dies will load nearly all the cartridges.

Andrew

Jim Puke

Hunter
I like the .32's...but I don't have any at the present time. Got rid of them before I came to my senses and quit selling guns.

Ethang

Blackhawk
I say it in every 32 thread that comes around, but my Single Six has become my favorite pistol. It carries well, is accurate, hard hitting, and cheap to load.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I also like those .32 calibre rugers....

I also have other .32 pistol calibre guns like a Colt Police Positive...

S&W 31-1

Marlin 1894 cowboy...

Taurus model 76

Some of the most fun shooting guns & calibre I have ever fired. I only wish that I started with the .32 pistol calibre 40 yrs earlier.... 8)
I believe the .32 pistol calibre guns are not for most shooters, but for me once I tried one I was hooked! My big wish is for a new .32 pistol calibre rifle on the Ruger 77 action as in 77/.32 mag/327 mag. I do hope they bring back the double action revolvers in these calibres as well.
I will always have guns in a .32 pistol calibre of some type especially Ruger! 8)

Rclark

Hunter
I've always been in the camp of "I have .22 and .38/357" ... What do I need a .32 for? But now that the .22LR is in 'short supply', it seems it would be nice to have a reloadable center fire cartridge that is closer to the .22 than the .38 for .22 'like' loads.... So with that in mind I think I will keep a lookout for a Single Action .32 down the road. Maybe pick up some dies and such....

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I'm a fan most things .32, revolvers that is. I've got several Colts and Smiths in the safe in .32 long, and even a tip up Smith in .32 Short. But my favorite is an early Ruger Single Six in that odd bird's head grip. After knocking the front sight off while trying to adjust a windage problem that was more in my head than in actual impact points, I accepted the gun for what is and adjust my aiming point accordingly...it's only an inch at a full 25 yds anyway...so why the angst over an adjustment. The hog wallow rear sight won't usually alloy me to hold for all the gun's worth anyway.

I built up a Duke Wayne gunbelt and Tom Threepersons holster for it, restocked it from the smooth black plastic's and called it good to go. I especially like the bullet size...110 grains from my Lyman mold...very economical for woods loafing, and easy to cast to boot! I've got one load that crowds 1000 fps with that venerable bullet, more than enough for the occasional thistle top that threatens my daily walk about. All in all, it's a sweet shootin' proposition.

And I'd like add an attaboy to Hondo for that photo spread....truly some great guns there padnuh. Let me know if you ever tire of any of them.

Best Regards, Rod Here's a cpl of pics, the gun, the rig, and yours truly at the stitching horse.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
After knocking the front sight off while trying to adjust a windage problem that was more in my head than in actual impact points, I accepted the gun for what is and adjust my aiming point accordingly...it's only an inch at a full 25 yds anyway...so why the angst over an adjustment. The hog wallow rear sight won't usually alloy me to hold for all the gun's worth anyway.

I built up a Duke Wayne gunbelt and Tom Threepersons holster for it, restocked it from the smooth black plastic's and called it good to go.

And I'd like add an attaboy to Hondo for that photo spread....truly some great guns there padnuh. Let me know if you ever tire of any of them.

Best Regards, Rod

Rod,

Thx for the kind comment. I too had a slight windage problem with my Vaquerito .32, and a few careful file strokes on the side of the rear sight notch solved it. Plus the slightly wider notch was an improvement for these old eyes.

Excellent leatherwork on the holster rig!

One could say I have a .32 affliction. When I acquired this .32 Model 30-1 converted to a target model, I went on to ream the cyl to .32 H&R Mag.
orig.jpg

A few other .32 Smiths that have wandered into my herd from 1914 to 1980:
orig.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I too have been a sucker for the 32 cals. I own a few of the 32 H&R's as well as a Blackhawk 327! Many folks think the Blackhawk is too big for the 327, but as an 8 shot,, and capable of lots of fun, to me, and in my opinion,, it's excellent!

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Hondo...that 30-1 converted would be the Holy Grail of .32's...an original .32 Masterpiece, but with a 4" tube making it the perfect woods loafer's companion. Bored out to .32 H&R, I'd be in 7th Heaven. Great pics...do you do the gunsmithing yourself? Rod

Latest posts