300 Win Mag, what to expect?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gtxmonte

Buckeye
wildchild2010 said:
picketpin said:
I shoot the 300 Win and 30-338 quite a bit for elk. Accuracy for the 300 Win Mag is usually acceptable for hunting in nearly all rifles. Yes, more recoil and blast than the average guy is used to. Especially if you are using 180 grain bullets. That said, the only reason to own a 300 Win Mag is SO you can drive 180s and heavier bullets FAST and flat. If you go to a lighter bullet, you might as well stick to a 30-06. The 300 WORKS because it's overbore for caliber and as such preforms best with heavy for caliber bullets.

I like mine just fine. BUT I don't deer hunt with them and I certainly don't spend a pleasant day at the range punching paper with them. If you plan on down loading to decrease recoil and blast, you have missed the point of owning one. BIG bullets driven FAST. That's what they were designed for

Enjoy

RWT
How's the recoil with 200gr and 220gr bullets?
Depends on weight of rifle............In a light hunting rifle, the recoil is HEAVY.............In my Savage BVSS, not bad. Of course how one takes recoil compared to another is all relative. I don't think my hunting weight barrel 300RUM is bad with hot loads, others think it is a murderer.........LOL!!!

dad11345

Bearcat
I purchased the Ruger M77 Hunter in 300 win mag and get 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. One inch and under at 100 yards. With the brake its easy to handle. I also have a Model 70 Winchester in 338 with out the brake. Recoil is not an issue with me unless I shoot 3 1/2 inch mag turkey loads out of a light pump shotgun. Then its down right ugly. With the cost of the 300 win mag ammo being close to 30-06 prices, I see no issue with using it for anything you want. The 30-06 is too much gun for deer, but it works.

horseshoe

Single-Sixer
I like the 300 mag just fine. I picked up a Rem Classic in 300 mag the other day and my son promptly traded me out of it. I let two boxes of Federal 180's go with the rifle and my son sat on his back porch resting his rifle on a tall footstool and his arm on a 30 cup coffee maker. (Redneck rifle rest). He got it shooting in at 30 yards and at 125 yards after a little adjustment he fired a 3 shot group you could cover with a quarter. He claims the recoil is not bad at all. He has smoked two deer already with it and for a lad who was sold on the 308 Win he is now sold on the 300 Win Mag. I think it is a macho thing with him but he shoots the rifle very well and has never complained about recoil .

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
collectormzornes said:
If you want to feel some real recoil from the 300 win mag try it in the boat paddle stock. I have one and it lets you know who's the boss right away and I'm a big boy to say the least. I shot 20 rounds through mine in one setting and that was all I wanted. I still have it but she don't get out much.

My .300WM (middle) doesn't bother much, nor does the .30-06 (right). The .338WM with a barrel cut-down to 22" and fluted, it will wake you up.

Boat-paddle_Rugers.jpg

dad11345

Bearcat
I am surprised that someone would buy a magnum caliber rifle and not factor weight and its effect it has on recoil. Add to this the narrow butt plate on the paddle stock and it equals pain.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
dad11345 said:
I am surprised that someone would buy a magnum caliber rifle and not factor weight and its effect it has on recoil. Add to this the narrow butt plate on the paddle stock and it equals pain.

When building the .338WM from parts, the Zytel stock was chosen with a purpose. It building it again I would make the same decision.

The .338 is a hunting rifle, not one to plink with at the range, although I do a fair amount of practice with it each year before taking it hunting. At the range a shoulder pad or coat does make shooting more comfortable and in the field I'm almost always wearing heavy clothing. Even with 225g AccuBonds @ 2742fps the recoil is significantly less than my .45-70 hunting loads (350g @ 2181fps in a Marlin 1895).

Balancing occasional and mild discomfort is the fact that the Zytel stock is almost indestructible and the light weight is easy on the shoulder when carried.

wwb

Hunter
Coyote Hunter said:
Balancing occasional and mild discomfort is the fact that the Zytel stock is almost indestructible and the light weight is easy on the shoulder when carried.

Applies to both shotguns and rifles... a target firearm is meant to be carried a little and shot a lot, while a hunting firearm is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. As offensive to the senses as they are, synthetic stocks make a whole lotta sense on a hunting gun.

dad11345

Bearcat
There are some very good synthetic stocks available for magnum rifles today, however the Ruger paddle stock should have been left in a canoe. It is butt ugly and a terrible design.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
dad11345 said:
There are some very good synthetic stocks available for magnum rifles today, however the Ruger paddle stock should have been left in a canoe. It is butt ugly and a terrible design.

That is clearly an opinion we differ on. I find the design very functional for a hunting rifle and, although different, I like the looks more than many synthetic stocks that try to mimic the shape of wood stocks.

jsh

Single-Sixer
180 SST and a case full of H1000 has given me 5 shot groups of at least MOA in three rifles all the way to 500 yards. Runs 2900fps and change, depending on barrel length.

martyj

Blackhawk
I was using my 300 Ruger to head shoot dear this year at 150 yards.
Recoil is a mental game we play with ourselves.
No one ever shoots and hits an animal and ever notices the recoil of the rifle. Odds are if you notice the recoil you missed the animal.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
martyj said:
I was using my 300 Ruger to head shoot dear this year at 150 yards.
Recoil is a mental game we play with ourselves.
No one ever shoots and hits an animal and ever notices the recoil of the rifle. Odds are if you notice the recoil you missed the animal.

That is correct I just talked about this the other day with my brother-in-law we both agreed when we have taken an animal neither one of us could recall the recoil. I think in a hunting situation it would be a good choice. The time my recoil was noticed was when we were just shooting and I shot a box through it in about 30 minutes or less.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I had one in a Ruger No. 1 and also a No. 1 in 30-06. Almost identical rifles. The 300 Win Mag kicked harder and had more muzzle blast. On my rifle the first three shots were in a tight group at 100 yards but then the group would open up. Let the rifle cool and it was O.K. again. Also if you reload inspect and measure the brass. I finally got rid of it for a No. 1 in 375H&H. That guy booms instead of blasts and shoves hard instead of kicks. If you don't need to drop the elk at long range then it is also very good about flopping elk, moose, bear, etc.

350Rem said:
Yes, no problem shooting the 350 Rem.

The 300 WM has more recoil. Should have no problem with with accuracy the real question is why do you want to use it? Lots of reasons, shooting bigger animals, more power is more forgiving on marginal angles, sometimes certain calibers become favorites, hoping to shoot longer distances. 350 or 30-06 will handle virtually anything in the world. Very few exceptions (none in North America).

Personally I have always liked the 30-06, 338 WM, and 375 H&H. I have no more reason to use any of them except I like the calibers. Recoil can be overcome. Just a matter of ignoring the recoil by focusing on the target. Just like hunting. An accurate shot is better than a power shot. I'd borrow one and see if you like it if you are already concerned.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
The .300 Win Mag is probably my favorite all-around rifle cartridge. I find it to be very tolerable with 180 grainers and below. When you step up to the 200 grain plus pills and drive them at average to high velocities, the recoil becomes a lot more stout. To me, every larger caliber has that bullet weight where you really notice a change in recoil.

Also, for what it is worth, I have a Tikka M695 .300 Win Mag that shoots 150 grain bullets lights out. I use it for deer hunting here in Wisconsin. I also tested out 125 grain Speer TNT's in it for the heck of it. I got GREAT results! I am going to work up a load with 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer hunting before next season.

Bottom line, have fun with your new rifle in a great caliber!

Jon

dad11345

Bearcat
Mr25-05, I use the 150 grain bullets out of my 300 Win Mag. Some say I should just use my 30-06 if I am shooting that light of bullet. I never thought of going below that. I noticed your sign on 25-06, which bullet do you use out of it?

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
dad11345 said:
Mr25-05, I use the 150 grain bullets out of my 300 Win Mag. Some say I should just use my 30-06 if I am shooting that light of bullet. I never thought of going below that. I noticed your sign on 25-06, which bullet do you use out of it?

I have multiple rifles and hope I financially will always be able to. That being said, I always like to see what each rifle can do with a variety of bullet weights and powders, just in case. I don't like people who tell a guy they should or shouldn't do this. Most of the bums that tell you to stick with over 180 grain pills in the .300 WinMag, are the same guys who won't shoot anything, but 180 grain factory loads out of their .30-06 because they are afraid the 150 grainers won't go through a deer. I know a few of them. :roll:

As for the .25-06, I like the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip for accuracy and deer sized game. I probably would be more apt to go with one of the Barnes TSX bullets if they were cheaper though. They perform amazingly well on all types of game. I dropped a 300+ lb. Russian Boar with my .22-250 and a 45 grain Barnes TSX(behind Varget powder) just because I was told that "It couldn't do that." Well, it most definitely did!

Jon

Greyfox

Bearcat
I bought my boat paddle 300WM new in 98. I've never shot a single round of factory ammo in it. I've used it for hunting an long range target shooting and its done very well with both. It may be too much for deer but kills them just the same.

I don't find the recoil objectionable but if its an issue it can be overcome with practice.