3 Screw Super Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
Howdy folks!

The wife found a Super Single Six at the local gun range and picked it up.

My friend, that lived across the street from me when I was a kid, had one and I always wanted one.

This particular pistol is in very nice shape, has a 5 1/2 inch barrel, came with the second, WMR, cylinder in the little red bag and a holster.

Unfortunately it did not come with the box or the parts that were removed when the cross bar "fix" was applied to it.

I have had it at the range a few times and it is very accurate.

I am trying to find out all I can about it and it looks to have been made around 1971.

The serial number is 60-72XXX.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts.

-Brian

ruger.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm not positive, but I think that 5 1/2" bbl may be somewhat "rare" as far as numbers manufactured. Also, if it has had the Ruger "safety conversion" with the transfer bar (so you can load six safely then it's 'collector' resale value drops.
Disclaimer: I'm no expert so wait for the experts to chime in and help me out.
p.s. Super nice gun.

J.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nice one! Yes from 1971 and about 29,000 were made that year. The majority were 5 1/2". The safety retrofit can diminish collector value but being so numerous, it's not a collector model.

If you want the original action parts they're not hard to find here in classifieds or eBay, etc. And simple to install. No machining of the gun was done when the factory installed the safety action. Call Ruger and they'll send you an owner's manual to show you how to disassemble and reassemble with the old action parts. Or just google Ruger Company for factory videos.

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
Nice score! Great shooting piece. It will not fail you.
Thanks, so far I really love it, accurate and fun to shoot.
Very nice indeed.
Thanks
Sweeeet, nice score! She done good 😉
Indeed she did.
Looks Great, sounds like You have two keepers!! Good Luck and Good Shooting Chris
Thaks Chris, I agree, we are coming up on our 43rd anniversary in May
I'm not positive, but I think that 5 1/2" bbl may be somewhat "rare" as far as numbers manufactured. Also, if it has had the Ruger "safety conversion" with the transfer bar (so you can load six safely then it's 'collector' resale value drops.
Disclaimer: I'm no expert so wait for the experts to chime in and help me out.
p.s. Super nice gun.

J.
Thanks for your input, I think it is in great shape for a 52 year old firearm. The bore is nice and shiny with no pitting and the cylinders look great. There is a small scratch on the left grip, but I am not too worried about it. I need to drop into a store and pick up some WMR rounds to try in it.
Nice one! Yes from 1971 and about 29,000 were made that year. The majority were 5 1/2". The safety retrofit can diminish collector value but being so numerous, it's not a collector model.

If you want the original action parts they're not hard to find here in classifieds or eBay, etc. And simple to install. No machining of the gun was done when the factory installed the safety action. Call Ruger and they'll send you an owner's manual to show you how to disassemble and reassemble with the old action parts. Or just google Ruger Company for factory videos.
Thanks, just the kind of information I am looking for. I am not thinking of it as a collector item so the original parts are not a big worry (plus it should be safer to walk around with a full cylinder), but I hope it is at least worth the $450 she paid for it.
Nice find.
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum and yes you got a very nice looking SC-5 there, indeed a 'keeper' ( same goes for the lady who got it for you!!)
Good info above and just keep your eyes open for any "old model" parts that may come your way if you ever 'need' or want to put it back to 'original' but remember it is safe to shoot it now with all 6 cylinders loaded, comes in handy more often than you think.....enjoy and welcome aboard...... :cool: ;)

drop me a line and I will send you an owners manual......(y)

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
Welcome to the forum and yes you got a very nice looking SC-5 there, indeed a 'keeper' ( same goes for the lady who got it for you!!)
Good info above and just keep your eyes open for any "old model" parts that may come your way if you ever 'need' or want to put it back to 'original' but remember it is safe to shoot it now with all 6 cylinders loaded, comes in handy more often than you think.....enjoy and welcome aboard...... :cool: ;)

drop me a line and I will send you an owners manual......(y)
Hi Dan, I'll start looking around at acquiring some old model parts, just to keep around if nothing else.
As for the keeper part, the gun is definitely one... for the wife that is reversed, I am lucky she has kept me around for more than two thirds of my life :D ;)

I woulld love to drop you a line for the owners manual, how would I go about that?

$450 was a good deal.
Thanks, I felt like it was a good and am very happy with her purchase. She has 3 .22 pistols at her disposal now; S&W Victory, Walther P22 and the Ruger.
She is a crack shot with all 3 :cool:
5.5" is not rare by any means. Likely the most common but it's still very nice. I would keep an eye out for an original parts set and un-convert it.
Thanks, the rarity of it is not a big deal, cool pistol, fun to shoot makes me happy, the original parts are coming.
Be aware that you need the shorter hammer to make a Super right. It is milled a little lower than a standard Single Six hammer to clear the rear sight.
Excellent advice, thank you.

I looked into the holster it came with and found it to be a Bucheimer Leather Holster, PM42 which according to the chart I found on the S&W Forum fits a Ruger Mark I Target 5 ½", the chart also says the PM 23 = Colt Single Action Army, 5 ½", Ruger Single Six 5 ½".
I am not sure what the difference is, but the pistol fits very nicely in the PM42.

Happy Easter weekend to all.

-Brian

B-O-B'03

Bearcat
click on my user name and check on the contact start a "conversation" I believe it is ,or even send an email........glad to help you out;)
Hi Dan, I think with my current post count I am unworthy of PMs and finding your email. Mine is bholgate at aol dot come
If you want to put it back to original configuration I have the super-single six parts and an original box... Just PM if you wish to go that way.
Thanks for that, what kind of price are you thinking?

-Brian

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
The rare Super Single Six from '71 is the 4-5/8". It's so rare Ruger didn't even have a box for it. They used a sticker over the printed 5-1/2" box end. 1971 is my birth year, so I collect things from it.