22LR cowboy style, How many options? 6, & 10 but?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
How many cylinder types are there? I know the single six and ten for sure but any others? Also input on what to stay away from if there is such a thing.

Was thinking about a single 10 and then making it into a bird grip.

Thoughts? & Thanks

medicdave

Blackhawk
From the factory you have the single six and single ten (single nine as well if you add in WMR). Borchardt offers an eight round replacement cylinder for the single six, but I've heard tell that they have some issues. Just comes down to what your looking for.

I have both for different reasons. If you think you'd use the magnum cylinder the single six is the way to go with the caveat that short barrels and 22 magnum have given me nothing but fits as far as unburnt powder gumming up the works in less than a 5 1/2" barrel. If you are only going to shoot 22lr and like unfluted cylinders the ten is great.

This is my boys 60th anniversary convertible after his uncle tweaked it up a bit. Still needs a little fitting on the grip frame to mate to the horn grips.

This is a single ten I got to make a matched companion to my Talo super. I needed an unfluted 22lr cylinder. the single six Bisley hammer worked out just fine in the ten, only need to swap over the 10's pawl on to the Bisley hammer.

Still fitting an xr3-red short frame and need to cut down the stags to fit, plastic fantastic in the mean time. Shorty 44 and half pint the Shorty 22.

This old model is next on the chopping block when I get the current projects done. Converting to centerfire, fitting a 32h&r cylinder and barrel cut to 3.75" with a dovetailed front sight, and adding a brass birdshead frame. Did a little mocking up before the last parts came in. Stainless ERH will be replaced with blue steel. Should make a nifty back pocket barn gun.

roylt

Hunter
So what is up with the front sight on yours? Stainless base part? How do you get that?

medicdave

Blackhawk
Found a feller that wanted five bucks for a stainless Blackhawk barrel and took a torch to it. A lot of heating, beating, filing sanding and drilling and it matches. I wouldn't put the effort in for that if it wasn't going to be a matched set.

After heating and beating it off the old barrel with a bfh.

Filed and sanded back into shape.

Drilled and countersunk for a mounting screw (Leupold scope mount screw)

Tada... Still filing it in to hit where it looks, but you get the idea.

roylt

Hunter
And the big question.... Where does a guy get the bisley hammer? I understand these are hard to come by or have I been mis-informed?

medicdave

Blackhawk
No longer made, most were blue few in stainless, easier to find hens teeth anymore. Put up a want to buy, look for ads, auctions etc, and be ready to pay what's asked.

roylt

Hunter
Hens teeth.... Dang I just ran out of those.

As for the worm sites.... my eyes are getting older, I may need them haha.

Thanks guys,

chutch

Bearcat
I love the Glo-Worms! Maybe the fact that I get to have cataract surgery on both eyes next month has something to do with it. The thing I like best about the Single Ten is that it shoots anything you put in it well.

roylt

Hunter
What is a single ten worth? used I mean. Or new if you know of a deal.

Found one online at a pawn shop but he is cracked out. only 20 bucks off new price.