How Many Rounds To Wear Out a Ruger Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I didn't click on this thread for a while because I figured it would be an easy point to make to say a Ruger revolver couldn't be shot so much it was worn out except for the need to change aging springs. Having said that, why wasn't the 357 Maximum more popular? I wish it was available back when I was shooting IHMSA. As was a concern for high-powered small-bore rifles, I read somewhere about the concern that the 357 Maximum might also suffer a shorter barrel life compared to other revolvers chambered in the 357Mag. Has anyone else here ever heard or read about those same issues with the 357 maximum?

aciera

Bearcat
It was made to shoot heavy bullets.
Gun writers were running speed runs with 125 gr bullets.
Got a lil flame cutting on frame
A self correcting problem
Ruger pulled them.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
Absent some sort of ammo-related malfunction, I don't think I can possibly afford enough ammunition, or devote enough time, to shooting to "wear out" any of my Ruger sixguns. I expect the heirs of my heirs will still be shooting them.

Love to get my hands on one of the Manurhin MR73s, but those are definitely waaaaay above my price point.

EDITED to include: I thought I posted a link to those a couple of years ago when Beretta announced they were importing the Manurhin guns. Price has gone up a bit since then; either the four-inch "Gendarmerie" version or the five-inch barrelled "Sport" version will set you back a cool $3600. Then again, Rugers also aren't getting any cheaper . . .

1686525571299.png

Last edited:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I had the "budget " Manurhin, I forget the model number. It was basically a 100% clone of a Service Six. It was a beater Foreign police re-import and didn't do anything a Ruger can't do.

The MR73s are like the Cadillac of DA revolvers, up there with Korth

aciera

Bearcat
Absent some sort of ammo-related malfunction, I don't think I can possibly afford enough ammunition, or devote enough time, to shooting to "wear out" any of my Ruger sixguns. I expect the heirs of my heirs will still be shooting them.

Love to get my hands on one of the Manurhin MR73s, but those are definitely waaaaay above my price point.

EDITED to include: I thought I posted a link to those a couple of years ago when Beretta announced they were importing the Manurhin guns. Price has gone up a bit since then; either the four-inch "Gendarmerie" version or the five-inch barrelled "Sport" version will set you back a cool $3600. Then again, Rugers also aren't getting any cheaper . . .

View attachment 23099
I'm gonna be thru Northern Missouri this fall visiting where I used to live. Visiting friends.
If ya wanna burn some ammo thru the MR73….let me know

aciera

Bearcat
I had the "budget " Manurhin, I forget the model number. It was basically a 100% clone of a Service Six. It was a beater Foreign police re-import and didn't do anything a Ruger can't do.

The MR73s are like the Cadillac of DA revolvers, up there with Korth
Willi Korth made some revolvers
A friend imported MR 73,Korth and Janz. Interesting conversations about them
He liked the Manurhin over the Korth because of the trigger adjustment
You might of had the 88?
Korth went out of business and then Nighthawk Blythe name.
Chapuis started making them in 98.
And now Beretta owns them I believe

Last edited:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
I've "worn out" a Ruger before. An old model 357. But worn out Ruger is not a worn out lesser gun like the Smiths that got that talk started.

I got it as an 12 year old and wore it every day until I left the farm. It was already 15 years old when I it. All those 15 years were also spent on horses and tractors. It got loose from the wear of all the grit and grime of that life when I was about 20. New cylinder stop and pawl and back in business.

I just had the shot out barrel replaced. Figure all those years of work day grit and grime, poor maintenance, and the hottest handloads I could dream up before I learned better. Then add all those more "reasonable" book max loads, albeit with better maintenance.

So replace the internals partially once, fully this time and one barrel. It's taken over 300,000 rounds so far. The frame and cylinder are still going with no problems.

It would probably be half-million rounds if I hadn't gotten into the semi automatic for awhile.
Wow.
That's a lot of rounds.

aciera

Bearcat
Pickering. Have shown drafts and mules at the state fair with friends there

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer

View attachment 23099
Buy Once, Cry Once :)

I mean I'm sure many of us have several, or dozens of Ruger revolvers that equal the value of an MR73 but I also like variety and would get bored shooting the same few guns.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Not to take anything away from the original posters question. It is a valid question for someone that is not familiar with Rugers Reputation for strength. But when I first read the post I started laughing thinking about the very old commercial with the owl and how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop. You probably won't ever know unless you crunch it. 😄😄

tbird1960

Bearcat
Nobody ever abused a gun more than my father in law. He bought a Ruger buckeye in 38/40 and carried it until his death at 99 about 3 years ago. He had this bad habit if in reloading he would add a couple of grains to the maximum on everything. I am 81 and been shooting Rugers since I was 16 and so far never any problem with Ruger single action revolvers. I still have and shoot the 22 I bought in 1958 and shoot it often. When I was 30 my father in law gave me a Colt generation one and told me it kept shooting the screws loose and he did not like that. He gave me 10 boxes of handloads and I shot about 1/2 box and went to the house and pulled bullets on them. They were loaded with 10 grains of Unique and the manual says 8 grains is maximum. Wound up pulling all the rest of them and loading them myself and no more problem like that.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
That sounds like my coworker.....he gave me a ziplock bag full of his "home brew" .357 in trade for a rear sight for a GP100 and he apparently took the Ruger/Freedom Arms Only loads and added a few more grains. I fired 6 rounds through a GP100 and I was like, yeah no more of these.