22lr and 22 magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
I've seen a fair amount of 22 mag in walmart lately but 22lr is hit and miss. Local gun retailers have alot of 22lr in Stock but yikes...are they over charging. Now I know why everyone wants it from walmart lol. Atleast it can be bought in general for people who need it.

I don't consider Wallie to be a player in the ammo market. The local stores hardly ever have any 22lr in stock. I simply could not resist buying a box the only time I saw any on the shelf there. Three boxes left and I bought one. Clerk said "You're allowed 3". I said I didn't even need the one I bought and the next guy in line almost kissed me for leaving him 2 boxes.
I've bought 10K rounds of 22lr since 1/1/17 at way less including shipping than buying local and paying sales tax. The last purchase was 4.6 cents per shot delivered.

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
Some online retailers will ship to California and some won't so we take what we can get when it's here. What online retailer do you order from if I may ask? Basspro in my area is actually fair on their 22's compared to other local stores. 4.6 cents is an awesome deal. The best deal I got recently was a brick of federal blue box for 24.99.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
We've got .22LR all over the place, but it's not back to pre Obama prices yet, though it is coming down steadily.

The LGS has been keeping a little bit of 22lr on the shelf but priced at trending levels. Last time I was in, he was still trying to buy some of my stash. After I refused gracefully, he was asking me to choose 3 brands/types of ammo that I thought were most popular or best sellers. He wanted to cut his selection while still having what most folks would buy(not particularly what they WANTED, but what they would buy if available). I gave him my opinion based on what I'm seeing on the forums and personal use. I don't really spend much time in his place but he went to school with Tom and they're still good friends so I toss him some business (and advice if he asks) to keep him happy.
I'd be careful about buying large amounts of 22lr right now unless you actually need it "right now" especially brands/types that are slightly "off key" or oddball. There are retailers who ordered anything that would fit a 22lr chamber back in the drought and now those backorders are showing up. Some of that ammo isn't what I'd call first rate and loading up on a bunch of second rate 22 only to find the good stuff at similar prices 3 months later would make me feel like I'd cheated myself.

Rclark

Hunter
My stock is about back to normal now. Been buying a couple bricks every payday. So semi-happy ... as not at 'back to normal' prices.... But then I guess I really don't expect to see $20 for 550 anymore...

As for Walmart.... Every time I go (which isn't often), they are still out. They have been getting some, but every time I ask, they say they 'had' some but were quickly bought out.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
In my area, Gander is the best place to buy .22. They frequently have CCI mini mags for $7 - $8 a hundred. Wally World wants about $7.50 for them IIRC. Gander had CCI standard velocity for $3.50 the other day. That's the most accurate non match ammo I've ever tried.

Haven't seen a lot of bricks at Gander, other than Federal white and black box (dirty stuff) or Winchester (I won't buy Winchester rimfire anymore).

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
Ok I checked turners that's nearest me here in southern California.

Cci quiets 6 bucks for 50 rounds.
Cci standard on "sale" 6 bucks for 50 rounds.
Remington bucket o bullets 1400 rounds $100
Federal 325 bulk pack 30 bucks
Cci minimag 300 rounds 32.99
Browning bulk 400 rounds 35 bucks.
Remington golden bullet 100 pack $14
Fiocchi 5.59 for 50 rounds.
Aguila ranged from $5 to 7 per 50 pack
I forgot the name (bbm)?, made in Germany 80 bucks 500 rounds.

They had tons of 22lr the most I've seen in a store in over a year. Rounds purchased by me 0.
The prices were just way to high and that's why they have so much no one is buying lol.

Johnnu2

Hunter
IMHO, as I've said MANY times before on the forum, we will never see the 'normal' $14 per 500 again. The whole purpose of the fake shortage was simply to double the price (like OPEC does to our gas prices). It's now double+ and will 'come down' to double and stay there.....again, IMHO (with no facts whatsoever).
J

Ammoman78

Single-Sixer
I don't doubt they did something along those lines to increase the price. Basspro in my area is almost half of what turners is so I just go there and get it when they have what I want. I never bought 22lr 20 years ago so I have no comparison from what I use to buy it for compared to now lol. I do know that turners is way to high but hey they can price it what they want :) just not getting my money.

jgt

Buckeye
When prices went high, the explanation was "supply and demand" so why would it have changed now? If we don't buy at these inflated prices, then the demand isn't there. I can see some slight price hike in the last eight years, but not double. I'll buy again when the prices come down, not until that happens.

rkittine

Bearcat
The Walmart local to me has almost no ammo of any kind. The few times they had some 50 round boxes of .22 LR they limited purchases to 1 box.

The local Dick's has recently gotten a good supply and selection of .22 LR though I bought there last two boxes of .22 WMR.

And then there is the local decent size gun shot who not only has a good supply, but was less expensive then what I bought at Dick's. Go figure.

Bob

Big Old Boy said:
Walmart has always Been my last choice for anything I hate Walmart.

Me too, but I have found myself going there more lately simply because I think my cheapness has overcome my dislike for the store. As far as ammo goes I have not been able to get much at my local WM.

A couple of weeks ago I paid $15/box for two boxes of CCI 22mag. I never would have thunk it. It was the cheapest stuff in the place (at a local gun show).