.223 Predator occasional rough bolt action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"My new rifle"
This is the clue. Now the questions: Did you clean and re-lube the working parts? Did you grease the back of the locking lugs where they contact the recesses? Did you lube the cocking ramp?
Not trying to be snorty but any new rifle can be a bit 'hitchy' until it's had some break in.

Double and triple check each round is properly seated in the mag. All the way down and all the way to the rear. Work the bolt on several full to empty mags. See if the fail to feed is repeated.

BadMatrix

Bearcat
"My new rifle"
This is the clue. Now the questions: Did you clean and re-lube the working parts? Did you grease the back of the locking lugs where they contact the recesses? Did you lube the cocking ramp?
Not trying to be snorty but any new rifle can be a bit 'hitchy' until it's had some break in.
Yes, yes, No, No. I would have gladly prepared the rifle had I known….wonder if this stuff was in the owners manual.
i thought about New Rifle condition, and cleaned and lightly lubed but the greasing part I didnt do. I bought some bore cleaning compound but haven't used it. I figured it felt like a lubrication issue. I appreciate your response for sure, that is why I am here right!

BadMatrix

Bearcat
Double and triple check each round is properly seated in the mag. All the way down and all the way to the rear. Work the bolt on several full to empty mags. See if the fail to feed is repeated.
Thank you. I tap the mag to seat the rounds but will pay closer attention to this…it could very well be this…

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I find that many Bolt rifle actions nowadays aren't as slick out of the box as rifles from a couple decades ago. I attribute it to company's all competing with each other trying to keep prices as low as possible and quality sinks a bit. You got some good recommendations from members on how to make it run better. enjoy

recumbent

Buckeye
I have the same rifle, my bolt was like that when new, I cleaned and lube but still rough, after inspecting the bolt it had a few burrs and rough spots from machining after polishing those off it is smooooth....

BadMatrix

Bearcat
I have the same rifle, my bolt was like that when new, I cleaned and lube but still rough, after inspecting the bolt it had a few burrs and rough spots from machining after polishing those off it is smooooth....
Omg. That is a poor reflection on Ruger. I will have to see what could be rough on mine. Thanks for responding!

hittman

Staff member
It's not a Ruger thing ….. they're all likely that way.

Even older guns can feel rough from time to time. I pulled a 1960s German made Weatherby MK-5 Deluxe from the safe for a "once a year" range trip and it felt mighty gritty and rough too; just from neglect and drying out.

Not poking the OP but here's a problem I see with many of the 'experts' and their recommendations on firearms lubrication: Most owners aren't 'breaking in' their new gun during a firefight in the desert. Meaning--it's OK to lube the moving parts liberally. When I do the initial function test on new AR's, they SMOKE (I mean smoke from the burning lube that's applied to the moving parts). Once the initial function test is completed and the parts have a chance to mate together, then the amount of lube can be reduced. If you're hauling a rifle around on an open ATV, you don't want to attract any more dirt/grit than necessary but that's different (AKA desert warfare).
Bolt actions have several wear/friction points that should be lubed before use otherwise there can be galling of parts that will NEVER wear smooth. I may clean and re-lube with a cold weather type lube for those rifles used in winter but they're not w/o lube.

Latest posts