1956 Single Six, features do not add up. Calling SS experts.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cgb

Bearcat
I was looking at this Single six for sale, and it's being advetised as 1956. I have been collecting the early guns for a while now, and have bought a book on the subject. This gun is 6 1/2", XR3 Red grip frame, alloy ejector housing, and round gate. according to the book I have, none of these were available in 56. I called the seller on this and he told me I'm wrong. The 56 SS I have is a flat gate, 5 1/2" XR3, hard rubber grip, steel ejector housing. I have a 58 with a round gate, but that is the only difference from the 56. Is my book wrong? Is this a 56 configuration? That looks like an XR3 Red to me. Am I wrong?
DSC05775.jpg

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
If it has the sixth digit in the serial #, which it looks like it does, at 494XXX, it'd be a '69 gun. As you say none of the charateristics were available in '56. There's far too many people selling 3 screws that don't know anything about them, charateristic wise or price wise. Look through the adds on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica and you'll see all sorts of them mislabeled.
HH

hittman

Staff member
A phone call to Ruger Records department with the serial number will get you the ship date. I'm guessing 1968 'cause it looks like a 6 digit number to me too.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I agree with the other's posts on the vintage and components of this "post
'62" vintage Single-Six.

The seller is obviously in error. :roll:

flatgate

blitzen25cat

Bearcat
You'r right----------seller is wrong. I have several single sixes-old models. !957 to late sixties. I'd pass on this one. The seller should know better. Best regards Dick

Hondo44

Hawkeye
cgb said:
I was looking at this Single six for sale, and it's being advetised as 1956. I have been collecting the early guns for a while now, and have bought a book on the subject. This gun is 6 1/2", XR3 Red grip frame, alloy ejector housing, and round gate. according to the book I have, none of these were available in 56. I called the seller on this and he told me I'm wrong. The 56 SS I have is a flat gate, 5 1/2" XR3, hard rubber grip, steel ejector housing. I have a 58 with a round gate, but that is the only difference from the 56. Is my book wrong? Is this a 56 configuration? That looks like an XR3 Red to me. Am I wrong?
DSC05775.jpg

Yes you are correct! Seller is wrong! It's a post 1962 frame, no doubt.

But I'm apparently the only one that sees a grip frame that looks like an XR3! I'm holding two 22s in front of me, one w/XR3 and one w/XR3RED and I'll swear it's an XR3. I would ask him to pull the grip and check. If so, something is screwy here. It should be an XR3 RED grip and is many years past the XR3's normal production use.

I've been wrong many times before, but if I'm right there's three guesses on my part as to how this came about:

1. The original XR3 RED frame was worn or messed up and was switched with an earlier, better condition one to enhance the sale of this gun.
2. Wierd things have happened at Ruger and the early production XR3 was found in old inventory and used in 1969 on a current product. That would be a rare variation but impossible to prove. Only recently are grip frames numbered to the gun and I think only the steel ones.
3. When I had an OM flat top 44 mag w/XR3 and a 1964 .22 SS w/ XR3 RED frame, I swapped them because the XR3 on the 44 Mag smacked my knuckles. Maybe someone swapped this one.

If the other posters would take another look at it, I'd appreciate a 2nd look and opinion.

chet15

Hawkeye
I see oiled walnut grips in the picture, which can only mean XR3-RED, post 1962. Previous to this they were varnished walnut.
Chet15

hittman

Staff member
I wouldnt poo-poo buying this gun until I knew what the seller wanted. It's okay that he doesnt know what he's got if it's priced right. He can believe it's a Taurus 1911 for all I care ~ but if he wants $250.00 for it ...... :wink:

I've got a couple of them made in the late 1960's and they're fine revolvers.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Hey CGB, are you in So Ca? I saw this gun too and e-mailed the guy. He insists it's a "first year of production" singe six. because he called Ruger and they told him so based on the serial number. The serial number information on Ruger.com says otherwise though. He has priced the gun at $400.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Clearly there was a communication error w/Ruger on the serial number. We all know no 400, 000 sreies gun could have been made in the 2nd year of production. A simple call to Ruger like hittman said will dispute and correct the seller's mis-information and the free letter could be sent to the seller.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ask the seller how many books and other publications about Ruger Firearms he has in his Library.

Ruger and His Guns is a common example......

:roll:

flatgate

Not tooooooooooo many first year guns made with a 6 1/2" barrel and 1/8" s/n:wink:

A simple call to Ruger like hittman said will dispute and correct the seller's mis-information and the free letter could be sent to the seller.

Why take up Ruger's time for a DA that knows it all already? One of these days this FREE service could go away :roll:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim said:
Not tooooooooooo many first year guns made with a 6 1/2" barrel and 1/8" s/n:wink:

A simple call to Ruger like hittman said will dispute and correct the seller's mis-information and the free letter could be sent to the seller.

Why take up Ruger's time for a DA that knows it all already? One of these days this FREE service could go away :roll:

Heh, heh, yeah not tooooo many! Education for a DA if the OP is still interested in buying it. Sounds like the DA will only be convinced by seeing a letter. If the free service eventually goes away, it's gonna' anyway.