115 gr, 124 gr, or 147 gr?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
I have been pondering this question...what to carry for self defense. I am a new gun owner, so bear with me. Does it really matter? From what I read, most self defense situations are fairly close. I personally think (as a noob) either will do the job, getting shot with anything would really suck for the bad guy.

This isn't a "what is the best ammo brand question". Just wondering what everyone thinks about the lighter round vs. the heavier round?

Thanks!!

bigbore45colt

Hunter
I would use whatever shoots best in your gun. I like the Speer 124 gr Gold Dot +P in my SR9s, but that's my personal choice.

Buy a few 20-rd boxes of some good self-defense ammo (ie Remington, Federal, Hornady, etc...) and see what shoots best for you, in your gun.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You will find more selection in 9mm defense (HP) with 115gr and 124gr ammo. I choose 124gr, a 9mm's strength is in it's velocity, a heavier bullet than that will cut down the velocity and IMO diminsh the 9mm's effect.

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
I've shot a few magtech gaurdian golds 115 +p, shot great. I just was at Cabelas ( 5 minutes away :lol: ) and picked up some speer gold dot 147 gr. They didn't have any 124 gr.. So, I have to go try them out 8) . I'm just wondering what is best at shorter distances...lighter/faster expansion, or heavier/slower...maybe a little more knock down power?

Chris1

Bearcat
I use winchester ranger +p JHP 124gr and am very happy with it. I find that while you shouldn't skimp on price with SD ammo, it is affordable and has the same ballistics as any other +p 124 gr JHP. Also it is pretty abundant and easy for me to find.

9Mill_Bill

Bearcat
The only 124 gr cabelas had was remington golden sabers, my buddy said they suck. but he has a S&W 45...maybe they dont like his gun...idk?

I will probably try them anyway...see if my gun likes them.

I'm pretty sure Ruger says the SR9 can handle +p rounds, but I only shot a couple of them...so I don't know. They didn't seem much different then the target ammo I was using.

Carry what you consider the best, probably either the 124 or 147... I shoot 115 fmj for practice.

the answer to when someone says your 9mm is wimpy is tell them you plan to hit the bad guy with a '2,108gr round' (that's 124gr x 17) :)

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I prefer the 124 gr bullets in 9MM, most any good name JHP, because they seem to be more accurate in my gun but the others work right well too. Although I carry a .45 most times nowadays, the times when I do carry a 9MM I feel just as well protected regardless of the nay sayers. :)

aaronrb204

Bearcat
My P95 likes either of the lighter bullet weights just fine. But I did notice that my CZ75 compact likes 124gr bullets better. But then again that is what they seem to have been designed for.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
blume357":1py1eged said:
Carry what you consider the best, probably either the 124 or 147... I shoot 115 fmj for practice.

the answer to when someone says your 9mm is wimpy is tell them you plan to hit the bad guy with a '2,108gr round' (that's 124gr x 17) :)

Shouldn't that be '2,115 gr. round'? The SR9 is 17+1. :D

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Stay away from the 147s. They are all a gimmick. If you want a heavier bullet step up in caliber. The 9mm is great in that it carries a huge volume of fire and is really quick to get back on target. The trade off is the bullet size and weight. If you add wieght you need more space so you get less powder=slower fps. Slower fps + high weight = deeper penatration and LESS expansion. Go with a 115 or 124 gr bullets, get +p if you want, usually adds 100 fps so it will help in expansion, but won't add any noticable recoil increase. I carry corbon dpx when I carry 9mm. Think about it this way if you want. A 45acp 230 gr hardball is a great man stopper(hardball drops them all as my favorite drill sgt says), but the hollow points in that weight almost never expand. To low a velocity. But the 185gr 45acp bullets are moving alot faster, usually around 1000fps and will expand easily and not over penatrate, usually falling a few feet from the exit point.
And yes the SR9 is designed to handle +P ammo so shoot till your content, this will also assure that your gun likes that brand of hollow point. My SR9s haven't disliked any brand yet.
done preaching now...

Ruger_rules

Bearcat
FWIW and exactly what you paid for it: :)

I only use 115 and 124 gr. rounds.

Why?

Some respected gun writer many, many years back said a steady diet of 147 gr. rounds can can eventually "shake your pistol loose." Given that we all should shoot MANY, MANY rounds in practice with the rounds and pistol we are staking one's life on, it sounds reasonable. Whether it is really an 'old wives' tale', I don't know. But I do think I can better control a 'hot' 124 gr. round than a 'cold' 147 gr. one.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Corbon DPX 115 grain. Or I use Double Tap 124 gr. +P. Confident either will get the job done.

tk

I've compared Gold Dots in 115,124, and 147 standard loads only no +P. The 147 grain showed fair expansion but overpenetrated-about 24" in milk jugs and stopped 3" into wet newspaper.. The 115 and 124 were similar with the 115 expanding slightly more with less penetration-exactly as would be expected. Around 16" on milk jugs with both lighter bullets. I have relegated the 147's to carbine use at which they show great promise.
I agree that you should go up in caliber if you need more than 124 grains.

Badwolf

Bearcat
I duck taped old phone books together and tested hollow points in 115, 124, and 147, at 10 yards. The 147 had the greatest expansion and damage to the target. It was fun testing this out, and recovering the bullets to show my buddies. In my p89 I have Winchester 147gr DPX1 hp.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The people who shoot people seem to prefer the 124--127g range.

I am satisfied with my 115g/1370fps load, and my 124g/1340fps load. But that's just me.......

SReagle

Single-Sixer
Here Check out this Link hope it helps, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/resource ... istics.pdf

Personally I use the 115 Jacketed Hollow Point 1155 fps & 341 ft.-lbs.

I could always tell the judge this is just the best overall round for shooting, as for +P well there for Self Defense end of story, wouldn't want to try to convince a jury/ judge that I use +P rounds for target practice,
one thing is for sure; if you pull a fire arm out on someone you better be willing to pull that trigger and be prepared to, or keep it holstered.

Besides if you cant stop someone with 10 rounds you better throw the gun at them and run...........